will we ever get GMAIL PUSH??

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I don't see it coming to the iPhone for one good reason. It's the only leg up that Google's G1 and soon G2 has over the iPhone. Google may not want to give that up to the iPhone. I would not hold my breath for push Gmail on the iPhone.

icebike

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I don't see it coming to the iPhone for one good reason. It's the only leg up that Google's G1 and soon G2 has over the iPhone. Google may not want to give that up to the iPhone. I would not hold my breath for push Gmail on the iPhone.

I don't think Google is holding push back in favor of the G1/G2. Its unlike them.

If that were the case you would have to explain this:
Google to Push Gmail to BlackBerrys - PC World (Google to Push Gmail to BlackBerrys).

The problem is one of infrastructure. It takes zero additional hardware to handle this for blackberrys because its all handled by the customer's own BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES) at the customer end.

To handle it directly, Google will have to:
A) License Active Sync from microsoft on a HUGE scale
B) browbeat Apple into handling Imap IDLED, which is essentially an opensource replacement for Active Sync.

My bet is that they are going to work with Apple to get IdleD implemented for Imap accounts. The G1/G2 phones already support this.

But even this is problem when you are the size of Google.

IdleD works very similar to Active Sync, holding a socket open till mail arrives or the socket times out.

Count all the iPhones in the world, then add all the G1/G2 and blackberrys, etc, and all the desktop computers and laptops. That number gives you the number of sockets you have to manage and plan to keep open 24/7/365.

Its a huge task, much harder than handling periodic mail checks from a similar number of devices. Those connections come, get handled, and disappear in a second, and each can go to the next available server out of the pool of over 500,000 servers that Google is conservativly estimated to have.

Still, that is about the only way you get real Push. Anything else is polling. (which may in fact be more efficient, infrastructure wise and battery wise).

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2