Looking to leave my parents plan, which carrier is best?

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So, I'm looking to break off from my parents family plan and going on my own. However, I'm wondering which carrier is going to be best? I was thinking of Verizon, but wasn't sure how good they were with updates if I have a android phone with them. Also, I do know there among the pricer carriers with plans along with att, but I know they have better coverage than ATT or the other carriers.

The family plan is with ATT, whose plans are the same price as Verizon's as far as I can tell. So I think I'd rather have the better coverage of Verizon if its the same amount as ATT.

Is sprint good? What about T-Mobile? I know these two carriers are less expensive, espeacily T-Mobile. But I'd almost rather pay more for Verizon or att if the service is going to suck on sprint and T-Mobile.

I don't travel so I don't really need to worry about which works better overseas or whatever.

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
So, I'm looking to break off from my parents family plan and going on my own. However, I'm wondering which carrier is going to be best? I was thinking of Verizon, but wasn't sure how good they were with updates if I have a android phone with them. Also, I do know there among the pricer carriers with plans along with att, but I know they have better coverage than ATT or the other carriers.

The family plan is with ATT, whose plans are the same price as Verizon's as far as I can tell. So I think I'd rather have the better coverage of Verizon if its the same amount as ATT.

Is sprint good? What about T-Mobile? I know these two carriers are less expensive, espeacily T-Mobile. But I'd almost rather pay more for Verizon or att if the service is going to suck on sprint and T-Mobile.

I don't travel so I don't really need to worry about which works better overseas or whatever.

It mostly depends on which carrier has the best coverage in your area. T-Mobile wins hands down for the best price, att and Verizon win for best coverage. Tmobile has a test drive program that allows you to use an iPhone 5S for a week on their service-for free!

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I think I'm deciding between Verizon and tmobile right now. Verizon I know probably has the better coverage, but tmobile is more affordable. I've heard a lot of bad about sprint. And I've been on AT&T all my life, so I wanted to try a different thing. I also would think verizon had better coverage than AT&T.

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I think I'm deciding between Verizon and tmobile right now. Verizon I know probably has the better coverage, but tmobile is more affordable. I've heard a lot of bad about sprint. And I've been on AT&T all my life, so I wanted to try a different thing. I also would think verizon had better coverage than AT&T.

In rural areas, yes Verizon's coverage is better than atts. But Verizon(and att) doesn't offer unlimited data, and charges $15 per gigabit over! Tmobile not only offer unlimited, but they don't charge overage fees. Where I live Verizon and alltel had the monopoly for years, now that att bought alltel out, we have att to chose from, but their prices aren't much different from Verizon's as you stated. Unfortunately tmobile doesn't have coverage where I live

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I am jumping to my own carrier as well when the iPhone 6 is released, and I am planning on T-Mobile because of how affordable they are. For both prepaid and "contract" options, they are both really affordable.

I am planning on going T-Mobile's prepaid route, which offers a $30 Monthly plan that includes Unlimited Data (5GB of 4G LTE, after that it is slowed), Unlimited Text, and 100 minutes of talk. Plus with T-Mobile adding Wi-Di calling, it is going to be a great deal.

$30 monthly plan:
image.jpg

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Is tmobile really that cheaper though. Let's say I get the 5 gbs plan on tmobile. So that's 70 bucks a month. Plus the 27 dollars am month for a new phone until that 600 dollar phone is paid of. So, maybe 24 months of payments if I only do 27 dollars a month. That's 97 dollars a month on tmobile for a two year span

on verizon, I can do the 32gb iphone 6 for a onetime payment of 300 dollars (assuming pricing stays the same as past iPhones) then it's 110 dollars a month for 4gbs of data. So yeah, I get a extra gig with tmobile and it's 13 bucks cheaper, but isn't Verizon's better network worth that 13 dollars? And I don't mind staying on a 2 year upgrade cycle.

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Is tmobile really that cheaper though. Let's say I get the 5 gbs plan on tmobile. So that's 70 bucks a month. Plus the 27 dollars am month for a new phone until that 600 dollar phone is paid of. So, maybe 24 months of payments if I only do 27 dollars a month. That's 97 dollars a month on tmobile for a two year span

on verizon, I can do the 32gb iphone 6 for a onetime payment of 300 dollars (assuming pricing stays the same as past iPhones) then it's 110 dollars a month for 4gbs of data. So yeah, I get a extra gig with tmobile and it's 13 bucks cheaper, but isn't Verizon's better network worth that 13 dollars? And I don't mind staying on a 2 year upgrade cycle.

The $70 plan with tmobile is completely unlimited afaik

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I would say go with T-Mobile before AT&T. You get more for your money and it's truly unlimited with fast speeds. My lte speeds are over 50mbps. Check the coverage maps though.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So, I' think I'm going with tmobile. Although Verizon's coverage is more than likely better, it's just a matter of cost. With tmobile I'm pretty much paying half of what Verizon would cost. I haven't decided if I'm going with the 3GB or 5GB plan though. I might just go 5GB just to be safe. The reason I'm not going with that 30 dollar online plan with 100 talk minutes and unlimited text and data is that they don't let you do upgrades with that plan.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
So, I' think I'm going with tmobile. Although Verizon's coverage is more than likely better, it's just a matter of cost. With tmobile I'm pretty much paying half of what Verizon would cost. I haven't decided if I'm going with the 3GB or 5GB plan though. I might just go 5GB just to be safe. The reason I'm not going with that 30 dollar online plan with 100 talk minutes and unlimited text and data is that they don't let you do upgrades with that plan.

Yeah, it's the only downside of that plan, seeing as it's prepaid. But I do plan to upgrade every year and buy my phone outright, so prepaid works best for me. Hopefully you'll enjoy the 5GB T-Mobile plan :)

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, it's the only downside of that plan, seeing as it's prepaid. But I do plan to upgrade every year and buy my phone outright, so prepaid works best for me. Hopefully you'll enjoy the 5GB T-Mobile plan :)

Well, actually I talked about it with my parents and they brought up some good points why I shouldn't go on my own plan yet. I'm not getting alot of hours at work, so commiting to a monthly plan may not seem smart right now. I still think I'll go to tmobile, just not right now. Thanks for the help anyway everyone.

Last edited:

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Well, actually I talked about it with my parents and they brought up some good points why I shouldn't go on my own plan yet. I'm bit getting slot of hours at work, so commuting to a monthly plan may not seem smart right now. I still think I'll go to tmobile, just not right now. Thanks for the help anyway everyone.

Sounds like a good idea. You're very welcome!

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
For the best carrier I would go with the one that has the best overall coverage for places that you visit most often.