Why all the hard feelings?

koerk

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
I want to discuss why there is so much emotionality and defensive/offensive behavior when it comes to the choice of something banal like the brand of your phone manufacturer.

I experienced some situations lately, one was about an hour ago, that made me seriously think about this phenomenon. Normal, even non-tech-savvy people really can become quite offensive and impolite.

A friend of mine was asked if my iPhone would belong to her and if she also bought an apple phone (it was laying on the couch in another friends living room). She acted strange and stated with a laugh that she would never buy an iPhone.
Don't get me wrong, this is totally fine. But she was so emotional when saying this that I seriously can't think of her motivation for that.

A colleague which I am on shift right now with was talking to another colleague about the new HTC One (he has the old One). They were talking about the great design and so on. The other colleague states that he doesn't want or can't spend 600 something ? for a cell phone. The one with the One said, yeah, but it can do so much more than an iPhone and that is even more expensive. Right, said the other, I'm not going to buy that either... I just sat there and ignored it because I'm tired of this crap.

So, honestly, why do you think do people act so intolerant when it comes to smartphones and their OSs or manufacturers? I'm experiencing this especially with my apple products MBA and iPhone.

I did want to persuade my friends and family of the iPhone just because I like it so much but I now, maybe even due to the iMore community, stopped caring what others do and think.

What funny is, is that I sometimes get insinuated of being superficial or something because of my so expensive and stylish apple products which can't to anything productive at all when THEY are the superficial ones when they care about that.

Hardly anybody of these people care what car I am driving. And if they did, this conversation would for sure be more objective than the choice of smartphone! :)

Thoughts?

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Its what works for you. If someone's arguing on this subject, they probably have nothing better to do. Its not like having an iPhone makes you better than other people.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It is odd. But it's not just smartphones. I've seen fights erupt over which pickup truck is best. The smartphone debate does seem to get heated more than it should. Maybe it's just brand loyalty gone wild.

Sent from from my iPhone 5

koerk

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
It is odd. But it's not just smartphones. I've seen fights erupt over which pickup truck is best. The smartphone debate does seem to get heated more than it should. Maybe it's just brand loyalty gone wild.

Maybe. But I wonder why usual people that aren't into tech seem to care more than they should :)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Maybe. But I wonder why usual people that aren't into tech seem to care more than they should :)
I think it's because our smartphones have become too important in our lives. Look around. Everyone has one in their hand. It's like an extension of self.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
There could be several reasons:

1. There are some people who really want one specific device, but because he or she cannot afford it, opts to buy a different brand and then trash the people who buy the one he or she truly wanted.

2. Some people are ignorant or intolerant of choice. This is the person who has decided that he or she has done extensive research and have concluded that the device he or she has is indeed the very best on the market. They can't fathom how anyone else can choose something different than what they have deemed to be the absolute best. They always mention specs, speed, size, etcetera, but the forget the fact that no device is perfect for everyone.

3. Some people simply want to be mischievous.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I think it's one of those instincts we as humans have. We are not solitary creatures. We tend to end up in groups as part of a collective. This is what creates brand/OS loyalty. It also creates jealousy and coveting your neighbors things.

I was guilty of this too until I pushed myself out my comfort level. Gave up my disdain for iPhone and got two. Still using my Note 3, but as a tablet. Then I got a WP. I'm playing with a Z10 too. I've never felt so carefree and had so much fun before with devices!

Technology should be here to bring us joy, not conflict and misery. My opinion.

?Sent from a larger than life device. Using Tapatalk?

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
So, honestly, why do you think do people act so intolerant when it comes to smartphones and their OSs or manufacturers? I'm experiencing this especially with my apple products MBA and iPhone.

Immaturity, it's no different than children arguing that Spider-man is better than Batman.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I think the smartphone you carry is also kind of a status symbol, so people get defensive. I don't see the reason why. I have preferences, but am an equal opportunity gadget lover. It doesn't help that the big companies like Samsung and Apple are constantly at each other's throats.

anon(161369)

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
I know what you mean, and I to for a while was very prejudice to apple products, however this year I made the jump to apple with a Mac and iPad and iPhone, and boy to I get grief for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I think the smartphone you carry is also kind of a status symbol, so people get defensive. I don't see the reason why. I have preferences, but am an equal opportunity gadget lover. It doesn't help that the big companies like Samsung and Apple are constantly at each other's throats.

Isn't that good for consumers? They make better devices when there is competition, or they don't and end up like BlackBerry.

shief24

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
When they bash the iPhone they bash the actual phone. When they bash a BlackBerry, they bash the person actually carrying the phone. Anyways, I just think it's the hipster in them. It's just a phone and when you break it down smartphones are very similar to one another.

baseballbert

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Look up flats vs clipless or 26 vs 29er for mountain bikes, you'll get the same thing.

Without these kinds of "discussions" the interwebz would be a lot less entertaining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

baseballbert

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Say what you will about Windows Phones the Nokia "Time to Switch" ads were pretty funny when they showed iPhone and android fans going at it.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Say what you will about Windows Phones the Nokia "Time to Switch" ads were pretty funny when they showed iPhone and android fans going at it.

Yeah, it was the whole mobile wars thing just done more candidly. I thought they did it with more tongue-in-cheek and with less offense to the respective fan-bases, which should be the way to do such ads I think.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I think it's one of those instincts we as humans have. We are not solitary creatures. We tend to end up in groups as part of a collective. This is what creates brand/OS loyalty. It also creates jealousy and coveting your neighbors things.

I was guilty of this too until I pushed myself out my comfort level. Gave up my disdain for iPhone and got two. Still using my Note 3, but as a tablet. Then I got a WP. I'm playing with a Z10 too. I've never felt so carefree and had so much fun before with devices!

Technology should be here to bring us joy, not conflict and misery. My opinion.

?Sent from a larger than life device. Using Tapatalk?

My only question is .. How in the world do you keep all your contacts in sync ?? haha

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711