I opened the box containing my brand new iPhone 5S and found it stuffed with paper.

Dennisgarcia

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Yup he got his money back from PayPal and that guy who sent him the package is being investigated.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

RollTideFanGrl

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
This happened to someone who purchased an iPad for her daughter during Xmas. It made it to the news and she stated someone at the store or a return placed a pack of paper and sealed it like new. After seeing it on the news can't remember if Walmart or Apple got her a brand new one. She saved 6 months to get this one thing for her daughter. Sad people will go to the extreme and do this.

Sent from iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Fraud is rampant these days because the economy is causing financial strife for a lot of people...this is also why B&E, auto theft and robbery are all skyrocketing in numbers lately.

These scam artists are decently clever, but there are so, so many ways you can protect yourself to make these situations near impossible to happen to you...

- eBay...if you buy something from eBay, make sure the seller has at LEAST 15 recent positive feedback (and make sure they have positive feedback AS a seller as well). Pay with PayPal EVERY TIME. PayPal is a pain in the a$$ when it comes to fees, but they WILL cover your **** when it comes to scams. That Macbook Pro listed above with the rocks in the box was quickly covered by buyer protection from eBay and PayPal...guy got his money back like the same day.

- Craigslist...meet at a carrier store, and have the device activated at the time of purchase. This will prevent you from experiencing issues with stuffed boxes, but more importantly, from password locked devices via Find My iPhone. With the seller right there, they will undoubtedly be able to input the information to reset the settings, and you'll be on your way. Person doesn't want to meet there? Find another person who will...that or watch them reset the device IN full in front of you after they visually turn off Find My iPhone on the device while you watch.

- Retail stores and what not...I don't even know how a person would genuinely get ripped off in this way, but there's a simple solution to it...open the box at the store.

...if you plan to buy devices to flip, buy them from a trusted source or through certified retailers. Going to Joe Bob's Cell phones and crawfish is not a good start, lol.

mwboost

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
So the new 5S I got after I got my money back for the first 5S I noticed a stuck or dead pixel.
Drove to the closest apple store and luckily they gave me a brand new one.
Was just the phone only in a seperate box. They said it is brand new and not refurbished. Anyways all good now.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
So the new 5S I got after I got my money back for the first 5S I noticed a stuck or dead pixel.
Drove to the closest apple store and luckily they gave me a brand new one.
Was just the phone only in a seperate box. They said it is brand new and not refurbished. Anyways all good now.

Glad it all worked out for you

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2