As an Android owner there is one thing I really appreciate about the iPhone.

stalemate1

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure we have all heard how Android owners boast about screen size...well let me tell you, at first its the best thing to have but after months of use you realize that it just isn't practical for day to day use.

As you use a large screen you often have to stretch your fingers to reach certain places on the screen and in some instances you have to change the position of your hand to reach into the far top left corner (im right handed) eventually it becomes uncomfortable to use and makes you want something with a much smaller screen, you also realize that its very uncomfortable in the hand as you have to hold it tightly because its barging over your fingers...I forgot how nice it was to use something that easley fit in your hand and that your fingers went around giving you a good grip. My ideal screen size is 3.5"-4" and not a single millimeter bigger. I know I might have mentioned this already but I say it again...as it is I cant emphasize on the discomfort of stretching into corners to click something and the hassle of having to change the way you hold the device just to reach something quickly...what an annoyance! (yes I'm that lazy)

I congratulate Apple on not making flagships with such large screens, even 4.3" can be a bit too big.

Look at the iPhone 4/4s both 3.5" (excellent screen size) and now the 5/5c/5s with 4"...I hope it gets no bigger.

If someone complains about screen size then they should just get an iPad mini with a sim card slot...

Sorry forgot to mention, my ideal screen size is anything from 3.5" too 3.8" and maybe 4" but rather not.

Last edited:

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Re: As an Android owner there is one thing I really appreciate the iPhone for.

I agree. I like the iPhone as a daily driver. I think I am getting a Nexus 5 that will be secondary for traveling and couch surfing. When I'm sitting on my couch with my iPhone I do often wish it was a little bigger. But when I'm out I prefer the small compact size.

Thanks for posting.

stalemate1

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site

The only thing that would warrant a large screen is if you played a ton of games or watched a ton of movies on the phone or you must REALLY REALLY....REALLY like browsing through images on your phone.

But that's just my opinion.

Stefano_B

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
True. It's nice to be able to do almost everything on handed. However, I did pick up a note 3 as well lol. After using the Note for a few days, the iPhone then fells like a toy and almost falls out of my hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grabber5.0

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Heck I have to stretch to reach the upper left corner on the 4" screen on my 5! I really preferred the 4S screen size, but wanted LTE more.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site

The only thing that would warrant a large screen is if you played a ton of games or watched a ton of movies on the phone or you must REALLY REALLY....REALLY like browsing through images on your phone.

But that's just my opinion.

That's what it comes down to for me. I don't watch videos or play many games on my phone. I have an HDTV for both of those tasks. I do quite enjoy browsing the web through various apps, twitter, facebook, and reading news etc. But I don't feel like any of those require a massive screen all the time. I do sometimes find I am stretching my thumb across the 4" iPhone screen anyway.

Tre Lawrence

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I have an Android with a decently sized screen, but I do a lot of writing, and a large screen is helpful.

I type one-handed too. Like the iPhone as a play device, but the screen is too smallfor my tastes, especially when typing. Obviously, enough people are fine with the size for Apple to maintain the design decision.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
This is a constant battle for me. My two favorite phones that I have used in the last year or so are my iPhone 5 and the Note 2. They are so different but I appreciate them both for different reasons. I have been using the iPhone about 95% of the time for the last month or so. One of the main reasons is the size. On the other hand when I do choose the note 2 it is usually for the size although there are some other things I just prefer doing on android. Part of me wants to see apple increase the size of the iPhone but part of me wonders if I will like it as much. I do like being able to use it one handed without being uncomfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
This is a constant battle for me. My two favorite phones that I have used in the last year or so are my iPhone 5 and the Note 2. They are so different but I appreciate them both for different reasons. I have been using the iPhone about 95% of the time for the last month or so. One of the main reasons is the size. On the other hand when I do choose the note 2 it is usually for the size although there are some other things I just prefer doing on android. Part of me wants to see apple increase the size of the iPhone but part of me wonders if I will like it as much. I do like being able to use it one handed without being uncomfortable.

If i can't use a phone with one hand, I probably won't get it.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
If i can't use a phone with one hand, I probably won't get it.

Well that certainly makes choosing a phone much easier. Lol. I do think that is why apple will make sure there is always a "smaller" quality phone available. I believe most people feel the same way you do.

revtech

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm torn on this issue, I much prefer the iphone size for daily use, but when I'm using a map or navigating a website for info on the go I find it too small for my eyesight. Some people suggest having two devices, but that isn't an option I'd consider.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I absolutely love my Note 3 and wish Apple would do something in the "phablet category" but I have to admit that there are some things on the Note 3 that are really impractical (like taking pictures) and yes, I did finally buy a bluetooth headset when I got the Note 3. It isn't uncomfortable to hold but it is certainly a bit awkward. I use the "smart" a bit more than the "phone" in that equation though so it was more important to me to have something for reading email, using GPS, and so on. And I've got an iPod for pictures.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I have an N7 and I found I don't really like carrying a tablet around in my pocket. I do stuff it in my bag but I don't always take it with me. The Note 3 form factor is just right for my always on me device I've found. I probably won't go back to a conventional phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk 4

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2