3G Microcell- when?!

pilotnh

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Has anyone seen any of that AT&T microcell nationwide rollout that was promised for "mid-April"?

I'm not quite sure why the Carolinas/Georgia/Alabama get all the love but the rest of us are waiting.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Has anyone seen any of that AT&T microcell nationwide rollout that was promised for "mid-April"?

I'm not quite sure why the Carolinas/Georgia/Alabama get all the love but the rest of us are waiting.
No microcell but lots of press releases. They have been hyping it since this time last year but there is still no GA date. At the rate they are rolling it out, it will take them a decade.

The really sad part is that they are not rolling it out in the two markets where they most need it, SF and NYC.

On their web site, a search on microcell takes you to comment function. There are 9+ pages of customers asking about availability. There may even be an answer there somewhere. Who knows.

Seardhing on microcell also took me to a customer sat survey. The problem is that the survey is about how I like the website. not AT&T or their service. Still, I did unload some steam on it.

I wish they would simply say that they are not going to do it than keep putting out press releases about it.

Wait! Wait! I found a page. Images only. Could not copy the text. However, in returm for my zip code the told me that my Zip Code is not part of "the current trial market. Of course it isn't. There are only a handful of zip codes which are. That is one of two things that they will say. The other is its going to be wonderful. They oought to tape the mouth of the manager of this program.

You could have gone the whole week without raising this vexing question. There goes my attitude again.

Last edited:

pilotnh

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
I actually bought one of the microcells on eBay about 5 months ago from someone in the Carolinas who had a cell tower put up in his neighborhood a few weeks after he got the microcell. My attempt at activating it on the AT&T website was unsuccessful due to my zip code. I attempted to activate it with a bogus address in North Carolina but the GPS feature ratted me out.

Over the last week they have added more of California and the majority of New York State with the EXCEPTION of New York City and some surrounding counties (where the bulk of the population is). Also added one county in Texas (I wonder how they decided on that one) and a small part of Utah.

I am completely confused on how they are picking the markets to roll out to.

Numerous phone calls to many within AT&T show that NO ONE in that company has a clue. It must be run by, and have all decisions made by, robotic life forms.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I actually bought one of the microcells on eBay about 5 months ago from someone in the Carolinas who had a cell tower put up in his neighborhood a few weeks after he got the microcell. My attempt at activating it on the AT&T website was unsuccessful due to my zip code. I attempted to activate it with a bogus address in North Carolina but the GPS feature ratted me out.

Over the last week they have added more of California and the majority of New York State with the EXCEPTION of New York City and some surrounding counties (where the bulk of the population is). Also added one county in Texas (I wonder how they decided on that one) and a small part of Utah.

I am completely confused on how they are picking the markets to roll out to.

Numerous phone calls to many within AT&T show that NO ONE in that company has a clue. It must be run by, and have all decisions made by, robotic life forms.

How did you learn this?

pilotnh

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
wireless.att.com/3gmicrocell

there are maps on there of activated areas. For some reason I have trouble finding the links until AFTER it denies activating mine.

ktdw

Mar 31, 2009
Visit site
Just picked up my Microcell in SF today. It's still in the set-up mode, but should be going in 30 minutes or so.

Cost $150 less $100 rebate, but you had to sign-up for the unlimited calling. Still unclear on the unlimited calling bit, since I'm now reading that it is optional. Well, maybe now that I actually have a useable phone, I may be calling more. We'll see.

Oh, and the Microcell is super ugly. The only good thing is that it has gps, so it should come in handy for e911 should you decide to cut the landline.

I'm still pissed that I had to buy this thing though, so I'm still looking for other options and hoping that a new service provider is coming. No, AT&T is not off the hook...

Last edited:

pilotnh

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
They added most of New England during last weekend. I'm up and running in New Hampshire with 5 bars of coverage in my entire home.

Scott R

Oct 29, 2001
tapland.com
Anyone know whether the $20 unlimited calling plan can be cancelled at any time? I'm in CT and according to their website, the microcell is now available in my area, so I'm thinking about picking one up (I currently get 0-1 bars in my house). I'm thinking of signing up for the unlimited microcell plan to get the $100 rebate, but then cancelling that as soon as I get the rebate in the mail. Anyone know if this won't be doable?

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Anyone know whether the $20 unlimited calling plan can be cancelled at any time? I'm in CT and according to their website, the microcell is now available in my area, so I'm thinking about picking one up (I currently get 0-1 bars in my house). I'm thinking of signing up for the unlimited microcell plan to get the $100 rebate, but then cancelling that as soon as I get the rebate in the mail. Anyone know if this won't be doable?
Perhaps. it is really difficult to put one over on AT&T.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2