1 password

andrewoleynik

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site
Hey Rene. Just wondering why you use 1 password instead of just keeping everything in iCloud Keychain?

I mean I can look those up on my device as well through Touch ID and my iCloud password on my Mac.

cuttheredwire

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
Here's a bookmarklet that will show your ********.

javascript:(function()%7Bvar%20IN,F;IN=document.getElementsByTagName('input');for(var%20i=0;i%3CIN.length;i++)%7BF=IN%5Bi%5D;if(F.type.toLowerCase()=='password')%7Btry%7BF.type='text'%7Dcatch(r)%7Bvar%20n,Fa;n=document.createElement('input');Fa=F.attributes;for(var%20ii=0;ii%3CFa.length;ii++)%7Bvar%20k,knn,knv;k=Fa%5Bii%5D;knn=k.nodeName;knv=k.nodeValue;if(knn.toLowerCase()!='type')%7Bif(knn!='height'&&knn!='width'&!!knv)n%5Bknn%5D=knv%7D%7D;F.parentNode.replaceChild(n,F)%7D%7D%7D%7D)()

And that's why shouldn't rely on iCloud Keychain. It handy for low security things, but be careful.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Here's a bookmarklet that will show your ********.

javascript:(function()%7Bvar%20IN,F;IN=document.getElementsByTagName('input');for(var%20i=0;i%3CIN.length;i++)%7BF=IN%5Bi%5D;if(F.type.toLowerCase()=='password')%7Btry%7BF.type='text'%7Dcatch(r)%7Bvar%20n,Fa;n=document.createElement('input');Fa=F.attributes;for(var%20ii=0;ii%3CFa.length;ii++)%7Bvar%20k,knn,knv;k=Fa%5Bii%5D;knn=k.nodeName;knv=k.nodeValue;if(knn.toLowerCase()!='type')%7Bif(knn!='height'&&knn!='width'&!!knv)n%5Bknn%5D=knv%7D%7D;F.parentNode.replaceChild(n,F)%7D%7D%7D%7D)()

And that's why shouldn't rely on iCloud Keychain. It handy for low security things, but be careful.

Your link is horrible on TapaTalk. I've never had any issues with Keychain. Seems pretty dependable and safe to me.
Your link:
09c0b40e66f9a3b51a01080ea7b1784f.png

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Unfortunately Keychain is not what I hoped it was going to be when it was announced. It's great for some standard things but for me using 1Password is better because of all the features it offers. It allows you more control over all your passwords. It allows you to generate passwords of different length and complexity. It works on iOS, Windows and Mac not sure about Android and Linux but Keychain is Apple only. 1Password allows you to save username and passwords.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately Keychain is not what I hoped it was going to be when it was announced. It's great for some standard things but for me using 1Password is better because of all the features it offers. It allows you more control over all your passwords. It allows you to generate passwords of different length and complexity. It works on iOS, Windows and Mac not sure about Android and Linux but Keychain is Apple only. 1Password allows you to save username and passwords.

And licences, rewards cards, bank accounts, social security numbers, and just about anything.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
To the OP, iCloud Keychain is excellent for logging into websites, but 1Passowrd is akin to a home safe that stores all of your valuable stuff -- Drivers license, SSN, vehicle information, model & serial numbers, other database information, to name a few.

iSRS

iOS & macOS Champion, Trusted Member
Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
To the OP, iCloud Keychain is excellent for logging into websites, but 1Passowrd is akin to a home safe that stores all of your valuable stuff -- Drivers license, SSN, vehicle information, model & serial numbers, other database information, to name a few.

Not only that, but with 1Password, you can get the Mac version and sync through iCloud.

Or, what I am doing, subscribe to it and get it on every device you own, regardless of platform, set up a family, so my wife and kids have their own Vaults, and we have a shared vault for thinks like Netflix and Hulu. Even gives you website access for those devices you can't install apps on (like my work Mac).

Well worth it.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Not only that, but with 1Password, you can get the Mac version and sync through iCloud.

Or, what I am doing, subscribe to it and get it on every device you own, regardless of platform, set up a family, so my wife and kids have their own Vaults, and we have a shared vault for thinks like Netflix and Hulu. Even gives you website access for those devices you can't install apps on (like my word Mac).

Well worth it.

Yep. 1Password is definitely worth it, and I was a longtime DataVault user.

iSRS

iOS & macOS Champion, Trusted Member
Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I should note, I also use Safari Keychain. But I create/generate passwords from 1Password. I let Safari save them. Makes that part easier. But doesn't help with apps. 1Password does also work with apps (if the developer has implemented it)

cuttheredwire

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
I'm transitioning to LastPass because of a few things, but one key feature is the one-button 2FA. LastPass Authenticator works like most others, except for LastPass itself. For that, a notification pops up, leads to LastPass Authenticator, and you approve access. (Now, for anything else you still have to copy a code over, but it is a slick little feature.)

In other words, accessing your passwords is a little easier and more secure. Other services are adding this, such as Google for Google/Gmail access. Problem is Google Authenticator doesn't support Touch ID protection. :/

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Hey Rene. Just wondering why you use 1 password instead of just keeping everything in iCloud Keychain?

I mean I can look those up on my device as well through Touch ID and my iCloud password on my Mac.

I'm not Rene (if you can tell) but iCloud Keychain and 1password are actually two different things. As already stated, 1password acts as a 'home safe' and isn't necessarily there to quickly log you in with saved forms and passwords like iCloud Keychain does. iCloud Keychain is more convenient for not having to re-login to websites across your devices. So if you sign in to Mobile Nations, for example, on your iPhone and save that login then the next time you pick up your iPad which has iCloud Keychain enabled, you will already have your login info for Mobile Nations saved and ready to log you in.

I have been using 1password for years. I paid the premium price for it back in the day. I think I nabbed it when it was on sale for $10. Anytime I create a new account for anything, I make sure to open up 1password and save my login info.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me

Simple answer: iCloud Keychain still lacks a master password. So, anyone who has access to my phone/tablet also has access to any passwords and credit cards in iCloud keychain and I don't consider that acceptable.

I'm happy to lend someone my phone or tablet to make an emergency call or check something on the web, or even use at a show if they really need to. I'm not happy that I can't do it and keep important information secure.

So, until Apple adds master password for logins/credit card, or releases GuestBoard, I'll stick to 1Password.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Simple answer: iCloud Keychain still lacks a master password. So, anyone who has access to my phone/tablet also has access to any passwords and credit cards in iCloud keychain and I don't consider that acceptable.

I'm happy to lend someone my phone or tablet to make an emergency call or check something on the web, or even use at a show if they really need to. I'm not happy that I can't do it and keep important information secure.

So, until Apple adds master password for logins/credit card, or releases GuestBoard, I'll stick to 1Password.

Wouldn't someone need your passcode to see Keychain passwords? I always had to enter mine. Now I use fingerprint.

cuttheredwire

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
Wouldn't someone need your passcode to see Keychain passwords? I always had to enter mine. Now I use fingerprint.

Yes sir. At least that's been my experience.

No. The script I posted at the start of the thread will reveal ••••••• passwords that autofill or can be filled. If you don't have to type in the password, and you hand me your phone, I can convert •••••••• to normal text. iOS can require a PIN, password, or fingerprint, but Safari can access KeyChain, and don't let me access Safari.

The limitation is that I can't just grab every site. But I can see your history, and then find your email, social media, bank, etc. accounts.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
So basically there is nothing to worry about unless you hand someone your phone or Mac long enough for them to work this?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
People that I hand my iPhone to are either people I trust, like immediate family and good friends, or people that are not tech savvy who don't know the difference between bits and bytes.
I'm not worried.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I didn't see anything with the script. When I hit send, it took me to a site. But nothing sinister. If there were any security issue with it, I'm sure Apple has patched it. They're good about that. It might work on Android though.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2