Where is B I U option in text messages? Try to find it. It’s not there iOS 12

I

iMore Question

Some say there is biu option in text messaging but others say it’s not an option. It’s not on mine iPhone 7 iOS 12. If you can find it, let me know.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don’t recall it ever being there in the Messages app, but I know it’s still there when composing a message in the native Mail app.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I don’t recall it ever being there in the Messages app, but I know it’s still there when composing a message in the native Mail app.

It used to be there when you bring up the black option bar. You had to tap the little arrow at the far right to get it. That little arrow no longer shows. It was a B/U option.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I have missed it as well... I will definitely submit feedback! I know there's a way to have a Bold subject line, which I use, but to be able to have total BIU capability would be great!

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I have missed it as well... I will definitely submit feedback! I know there's a way to have a Bold subject line, which I use, but to be able to have total BIU capability would be great!

Annie,please can you show us how to do bold text then ? I would like any way to emphasise a word or phrase in both Messages and iMore forums,italics would do !
I imagine Tim Cook speaks like this, completely without emphasis,all the time.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Annie,please can you show us how to do bold text then ? I would like any way to emphasise a word or phrase in both Messages and iMore forums,italics would do !

This is a test from TapaTalk.

Like this?
Or like this?

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I don't normally ask "why" when someone posts a question, but why would you want to send a text message with B I U options? If you need that depth of emphasis them maybe a text message isn't the best choice of communication.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I don't normally ask "why" when someone posts a question, but why would you want to send a text message with B I U options? If you need that depth of emphasis them maybe a text message isn't the best choice of communication.

Because I don’t really want to read as if I was an autistic word processor ! and part of normal communication,on paper or verbally ,is emphasis. And one doesn’t want to shout.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Because I don’t really want to read as if I was an autistic word processor ! and part of normal communication,on paper or verbally ,is emphasis. And one doesn’t want to shout.

Then it sounds like you need to either send an email or make a phone call. I for one do not want to read a text message with all the emphasis you want to add. The purpose of text messaging is to quickly and conveniently exchange information between people. If you add emphasis to it, then you just took away both speed and convenience.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

Sure. Go to settings>Messages>Show Subject Field, then toggle it on.

The subject line is typically bolder than the body of the message.

Casp Mct

Jul 12, 2020
Visit site
Then it sounds like you need to either send an email or make a phone call. I for one do not want to read a text message with all the emphasis you want to add. The purpose of text messaging is to quickly and conveniently exchange information between people. If you add emphasis to it, then you just took away both speed and convenience.

You may be adding a few more finger taps to the writing of the message, but you are making it easier for the recipient to quickly understand your intent. as for speed and convenience, that comes from the instantaneous transmission of the technology. It isn’t like a telegram. Anyway, in any form of communication, the objective is to be understood. BIU gave three quick, convenient ways to add emphasis where it might avoid confusion.