Traveling with Two iPhones - Apple ID/iMessage/Apps Help Requested!

SaMaster14

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone, I’m studying abroad in London and will be traveling around Europe. I have both my iPhoneX (with my Verizon SIM) and I will be putting in a London SIM (from 3 wireless) in my old 6S Plus. I plan on using both devices, with the 6S+ mainly being used as a mobile hotspot in my pocket for the X, so I don’t have to pay Verizon $10 a day for 4 months...

My question is mainly, if I have both phones and both numbers attached to my Apple ID, and both active and working at the same time, how will iMessage/Apple ID stuff be affected? Apple Wallet? Will it be like two phones that are mirrors of each other?

(Also, for third party apps, I know that I can be signed in on Instagram with two devices, but does anyone know if I can be logged into Snapchat on both devices at the same time?)

Thanks for any advice!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Whichever device you are paying with will be the only device affected. The results may sync to the other, but that’s about it, unless I’m misunderstanding your question.

SaMaster14

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
My iPhoneX will still be connected to my US Verizon account, but I’ll be putting a ‘3 mobile’ UK SIM card in my 6S Plus. So, I’m technically paying for 2 plans (and 2 numbers), but as long as I keep my iPhoneX on Verizon on airplane mode, I won’t be charged the $10 a day travel pass

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Why not just put the 3 SIM in the iPhone X? You can still iMessage with people, and if someone needs to call they can use Facetime, Skype, Hangouts, etc. That's exactly what my daughter does when she's in UK. When visiting home, she just swaps back to the Verizon SIM, and then back in UK, goes back to the 3 SIM. This process has worked well with an iPhone 6 and now most recently an iPhone 8.

She's also traveled throughout Europe with a Verizon iPhone 6 and a 3 SIM, and no issues. You'll want to check your specific 3 plan and see what coverage it has for the countries you plan to visit.

The above may help to simplify things and not require you to carry two phones around. You could still have the iPhone 6S+ as a backup phone, just not turned on. Appreciate the desire to save money on the Verizon side of things. Is it possible to suspend your account or go to a lower cost plan while your'e in London?

Last edited:

SaMaster14

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Why not just put the 3 SIM in the iPhone X? You can still iMessage with people, and if someone needs to call they can use Facetime, Skype, Hangouts, etc. That's exactly what my daughter does when she's in UK. When visiting home, she just swaps back to the Verizon SIM, and then back in UK, goes back to the 3 SIM. This process has worked well with an iPhone 6 and now most recently an iPhone 8.

She's also traveled throughout Europe with a Verizon iPhone 6 and a 3 SIM, and no issues. You'll want to check your specific 3 plan and see what coverage it has for the countries you plan to visit.

The above may help to simplify things and not require you to carry two phones around. You could still have the iPhone 6S as a backup phone, just not turned on. Appreciate the desire to save money on the Verizon side of things. Is it possible to suspend your account or go to a lower cost plan while your'e in London?

I will definitely check if I can suspend my plan or put it on travel hold or something!

I don’t know why I’m paranoid about putting the 3 sim in my X, for non iPhone people to text or call and stuff; to be honest I may suck it up and go that route!

SaMaster14

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone have an answer regarding using both phones?

Like how will everything work with both phones using the same apple ID and different numbers/plans? I'm probably being paranoid, just want to make sure I'll be all good!

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
If you have Apple Care for the iPhone X, could contact Apple Support and ask them what they recommend.

Just a thought to help keep things simple, and negate the need to carry two phones around. If the iPhone 6S were used with the Verizon SIM removed, then it would function as an iPod on WiFi. Then only if something were to happen with the X, you could take out the 3 SIM and put it in the 6S. That way only one phone # is active with your Apple ID.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77