How do you transfer external hard drive documents, photos, videos etc. to iCloud Drive?

I

iMore Question

I've already paid for 2TB of iCloud storage and figured I would be able to transfer the 400gb amount of data from my external hard drive straight over to the iCloud Drive on my Mac. However, a pop-up appears saying I "don't have enough free storage here", which is not the case as the iCloud storage is saying I have 1.93TB available. I've been to click on the iCloud DRIVE "get info" and that is saying there's only 6.19gb on the disk.

Is the iCloud storage something different to iCloud Drive?

If someone can please help clear this up and if you have directions on how to store my external hard drive data to the iCloud Drive (or even iCloud!) that would be much appreciated please!

CharlieChops

May 10, 2020
Visit site
I've already paid for 2TB of iCloud storage and figured I would be able to transfer the 400gb amount of data from my external hard drive straight over to the iCloud Drive on my Mac. However, a pop-up appears saying I "don't have enough free storage here", which is not the case as the iCloud storage is saying I have 1.93TB available. I've been to click on the iCloud DRIVE "get info" and that is saying there's only 6.19gb on the disk.

Is the iCloud storage something different to iCloud Drive?

If someone can please help clear this up and if you have directions on how to store my external hard drive data to the iCloud Drive (or even iCloud!) that would be much appreciated please!

The very same thing has just happened to me!

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

Simply copy all the content on your external hard drive to the iCloud folder on your Mac or Windows computer.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Make sure when you copy the data that you first have enough storage space on your local drive. This is because the data will live on your local drive until it is cleared out to make space or because it's not been accessed for a while.

You could also upload to iCloud Drive using https://icloud.com and then the local storage shouldn't become involved.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2