Where are my notes on my iPhone?

I

iMore Question

I had made lots of important notes previously on my iPhone. I turned on Mail in iCloud in an attempt to sync them to my Mac. Then, they all disappeared. Where could the be and how could I get them back?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore! If they don't show in the Notes app under iCloud, go back to Settings > iCloud > Toggle Notes OFF > go check the Notes folder in your iCloud mail in the Mail app.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to iMore! If they don't show in the Notes app under iCloud, go back to Settings > iCloud > Toggle Notes OFF > go check the Notes folder in your iCloud mail in the Mail app.

I've never had a notes folder associated with my iCloud account like I do with my other email accounts.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I had made lots of important notes previously on my iPhone. I turned on Mail in iCloud in an attempt to sync them to my Mac. Then, they all disappeared. Where could the be and how could I get them back?

I'm not understanding why you would need to turn on Mail in iCloud in an attempt to sync your Notes to your Mac. If iCloud was configured on the phone, and your notes were associated with your iCloud account then all you had to do was configure iCloud on your Mac. Your Notes would have automatically synced to it.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I've never had a notes folder associated with my iCloud account like I do with my other email accounts.

I actually never checked to see if the iCloud email has a Notes folder. I'm afraid to toggle Notes OFF to check. LOL

Update: I just tested this on my Wife's 5c. She only had a few notes in her Notes app. They were iCloud. I did screenshots of them, then went to Settings > iCloud > toggled Notes OFF. They vanished from the Notes app. But they showed up in the Notes folder of the iCloud mail. The Notes folder only shows when Notes are toggled OFF in Settings. Now, if I toggle Notes back on in Settings, they reappear in the Notes app. And you don't see a Notes folder in iCloud mail. This is how many lose their Notes from the Notes app.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I actually never checked to see if the iCloud email has a Notes folder. I'm afraid to toggle Notes OFF to check. LOL

Update: I just tested this on my Wife's 5c. She only had a few notes in her Notes app. They were iCloud. I did screenshots of them, then went to Settings > iCloud > toggled Notes OFF. They vanished from the Notes app. But they showed up in the Notes folder of the iCloud mail. The Notes folder only shows when Notes are toggled OFF in Settings. Now, if I toggle Notes back on in Settings, they reappear in the Notes app. And you don't see a Notes folder in iCloud mail. This is how many lose their Notes from the Notes app.

Okay. Great! I learned something new today. Thanks for the tip, good sir...:)