How to let my apps work in background

Indoorcarp

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
Like sending photos in whatsapp in background and allow other apps to download things like wallpaper app to load images in background while I'm working on other apps or downloading other thing in games in background. I'm new to Apple please help if there is anything to help

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Apps need to be properly coded to operate in the background. If an app isn't running tasks like uploads and downloads in the background, then it's been poorly programmed. Get in touch with the app developer and request the feature if it doesn't have it.

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
And even then, I believe iOS determines if and when a background update occurs - even if an app requests it.

Sometimes, it depends on the activity.
Background tasks that are started before the app is minimized continue instantly (assuming they use the proper apis).
Background tasks that are scheduled to start at some time after the app is closed depend on some other parameters.

For example, downloads and uploads continue until complete.
Background App refresh is determined by how often a user accesses an app, and is designed to update the app before the user accesses it, so the content is already current.
Apps using Apple's background push service are also near instant, regardless of whether or not the app was used recently.

katesbb

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
For example, downloads and uploads continue until complete.
Background App refresh is determined by how often a user accesses an app, and is designed to update the app before the user accesses it, so the content is already current.
Apps using Apple's background push service are also near instant, regardless of whether or not the app was used recently.

Is that why something like DropBox can't upload photos to my account as I take them? On my phone at least, no photos get uploaded until I actually open the DropBox app - even though Background App Refesh is on.

I take it "Push" is a one-way thing? Meaning DropBox could conceivable "Push" something to my phone whenever needed, but my phone can't use it to upload instantly?

Push technology has always confused me, as you can see lol...

Indoorcarp

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
Is that why something like DropBox can't upload photos to my account as I take them? On my phone at least, no photos get uploaded until I actually open the DropBox app - even though Background App Refesh is on.

I take it "Push" is a one-way thing? Meaning DropBox could conceivable "Push" something to my phone whenever needed, but my phone can't use it to upload instantly?

Exactly no apps work in background except Apple own app or there inbuild apps

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site

Maybe. Or more likely, there's no way for Dropbox to be triggered by taking a picture. So it needs to be opened to see if there are new pictures.
There should be a way for them to start it in the background and check, but maybe they haven't implemented it yet.

Here's all the different methods of background processing Apple offers to developers. It's a bit techy, but you can get the idea of what's possible.
These options basically cover almost all possible use cases, and they're designed to do it in the most resource sensitive way possible.

https://developer.apple.com/library.../BackgroundExecution/BackgroundExecution.html

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77