Recommended Steps for Retail OS X Install?

sibeans

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Please share with me your tips on installing an Apple Store retail copy of OS X Snow Leopard on a 2010 iMac; the iMac will come with the storage wiped clean.

The storage options are a 1TB HDD and a 250GB SSD and I plan on keeping OS X on 500GB of the HDD and installing Windows on the SSD and keeping 500GB of the HDD free for Windows storage space, so tips get this setup would also be appreciated!

Thanks!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Please share with me your tips on installing an Apple Store retail copy of OS X Snow Leopard on a 2010 iMac; the iMac will come with the storage wiped clean.

The storage options are a 1TB HDD and a 250GB SSD and I plan on keeping OS X on 500GB of the HDD and installing Windows on the SSD and keeping 500GB of the HDD free for Windows storage space, so tips get this setup would also be appreciated!

Thanks!

Just insert the disc and reboot. The system should boot from the disc and allow you to install Snow Leopard. Having said that, I agree with kch50428 in recommending that you install OS X Yosemite. If my early 2009 MacBook can run it and El Capitan, so should your 2010 iMac, in my opinion.

sibeans

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
thanks for the responses!

i'm a mac noob and after receiving the desktop, turns out that it made the cut for Internet Recovery and proceeded to install Yosemite! So I canceled my order for the retail disc.

The re-install off WiFi took a good number of hours (to overnight) to download and install Yosemite on a partitioned 250gb of the HDD I was quite happy to wake up to find the setup language screen but now I'm faced with SBBOD right after the clean install....:crying:.....the subsequent reboots seemed to hang but after a few, it's booted now but there's still SBBOD and overall sluggishness with opening system preferences and disk utility

sibeans

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
The thread title should be renamed to:

"Save A Couple of Bucks and Restore Your Mac with the Built-in Terminal createinstallmedia to Create An OS X Installer USB Drive from Another Mac that Has Yosemite Installed" (if after the internal recovery is corrupted, if Internet Recovery is shot and if the Mac you used to create the OS X Recovery Assistant didn't ship with Yosemite and if you don't want to buy a retail Snow Leopard Recovery disk)

:cool:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxgyllsdoll