What app is similar to my phones texting?

I

iMore Question

Due to a laryngectomy, I have no voice.

I carry my IPad Air 2 WiFi + Cellular to use as a writing pad with people I meet. I would like to be able to text like I do on my smart phone. I prefer not have to carry two devices and the typing and reading are much easier on the larger IPad. What app in your review functioned most like the texting I have on my cell phone?
I would like to synch my contact list from my Droid RAZR and keep my Verizon wireless package... just replacing the phone with my new IPad. I also want the ability to text any phone without making all my friends and family down load some special app.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: Due to a laryngectomy, I have no voice.

Welcome to iMore! You can use iMessage with other iOS users. To get iMessage working, you'll need to set it up on your iPad first, but luckily this is just a matter of going into the settings and signing in with your Apple ID.

First, go to the iPad Settings by tapping the icon that looks like gears turning.
Scroll down the left-side menu until you locate Messages. Tapping this menu item will bring up the iMessage settings.
Flip the switch for iMessage to the On setting. This will prompt you to login with you Apple ID.
Once logged in, you should see your the email address you use with your Apple ID in the "Receive At" section of the settings. If you'd like to receive text messages at a different email address, touch the "Receive At" setting and then touch "Add Another Email..." to add the new email address. You will be sent a verification email, and after verifying, you will be able to receive text messages at that address as well as your main address.
You'll also need SMS for texting with non iOS users. Here's an article on how.
http://m.imore.com/sending-and-receiving-sms-mms-ios-8-ipad-and-os-x-yosemite-explained

You can use FaceTime for calling other iOS users. I'm not sure about Skype. Maybe someone else knows that.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2