How to setup NAS streaming to TV?

I

iMore Question

I want a setup to be able to pick a video or photo or music file with my iphone from an external hdd connected to a router, and airplay or cast it to my TV. Is there a way to do this with Apple TV, or chromecast? And what hardware would I need. I have the router and hdd already, obviously. Thanks!

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
If your router and TV (WiFi capable) are DNLA compatible, then that may be an option and you may not need any other hardware.

iPhone can AirPlay to an Apple TV, so if the video or picture is on your iPhone, then that would work.

mastamatt343

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
What app on iOS would allow you to search a hard drive attached to a router, and play the video? I'm trying to setup a system for my parents that they can throw videos, photos, and music from the hard drive easily onto their TV. So the simpler the better

mastamatt343

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
And I'm used to Android, so I don't really know how I'd do this on iOS. On Android, I'd just get a file browser and play it in vlc and send it to the chromecast. Not sure how to replicate that on iOS with or without the Apple TV. Have never owned an iOS device, but it's all my parents use. Thanks for the help!

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm familiar with Android too, and via DNLA streaming was fairly straightforward with compatible devices.

On iOS the AirPlay feature can stream stuff to the Apple TV. I don't have any experience with Chromecast, so not sure there.

I have a NAS system (not attached to router) that can function as an iTunes server, streams videos, photos, etc. Don't use those features much. There's an iOS app that allows the iPhone to upload/download stuff and stream. Understand a full-blown NAS is more than what it sounds like your parents have nor need.

Some routers may have NAS like functionality and might support AirPlay as well as have an app. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable on router+hard drive streaming via iOS will chime in soon.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2