What options do I have in regard to this lost and found iPhone 5?

scottiemac22

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
So I just get a call from a store that I had turned in an iphone about a year ago telling me that it had been a year and no one had claimed the iphone and as per their lost and found policy, it is now mine. I have an iPhone 5c so what options do I have for this phone? I did plug it in and it is locked. Any help would be appreciated

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Lost and found iphone 5

If the phone is unlocked without a passcode and they say it's yours and hasn't been claimed, sell it. Unless you can find the owner. Chances are they've already moved on. ESN might be locked, in that case toss it or sell for parts.

LOL nice try!! The iPhone 5c hasn't even been out a full year.

edit: and the fact you turned in this "lost" phone a year ago means you turned it in before it was even released ROFL, at least make a believable story when you steal something...

He didn't say he found a 5c, he said he has a 5c.

scottiemac22

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Re: Lost and found iphone 5

Well it is locked with a passcode, but I do not necessarily want to sell it, it might have pictures on it that are valuable to the original owner, how would I even go about finding the original owner?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

This sounds like he was definitely implying that it was a 5c that he found.

Naw man. You were flat out wrong in this regard....:)....the OP stated, "I just get a call from "a store" that I had turned in an "iphone" about a year ago...". He did not say that he turned in an iPhone 5C nor did he say that Apple called him. ....;)...c'mon now. Man up and apologize....lol

scottiemac22

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site

I don't know what ESN is... And I would at least like to try and find the original owner, but I can't access anything on the phone.

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site

Naw man. You were flat out wrong in this regard....:)....the OP stated, "I just get a call from "a store" that I had turned in an "iphone" about a year ago...". He did not say that he turned in an iPhone 5C nor did he say that Apple called him. ....;)...c'mon now. Man up and apologize....lol

But the title of the thread is - Lost and found iPhone 5
Lets move on.

Alright my apologies to you guys and Scottie.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

So I just get a call from a store that I had turned in an iphone about a year ago telling me that it had been a year and no one had claimed the iphone and as per their lost and found policy, it is now mine. I have an iPhone 5c so what options do I have for this phone? I did plug it in and it is locked. Any help would be appreciated

When you say it is locked, are you referring to the lockscreen or the iCloud activation lock? Heck, either way it's a crap shoot and you have nothing to lose. Your options are as follows:
1. Put it in DFU mode, and try restoring it via iTunes.
2. Try selling it, but be sure to let prospective buyers know that the phone is locked and was initially a lost and found item.

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site

I don't know what ESN is... And I would at least like to try and find the original owner, but I can't access anything on the phone.

If the owner turned on and activated the activation lock- it will need a passcode to unlock. No way around it.

scottiemac22

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site

Appreciate all the help everyone, and sorry for my part in that fracas... Not the impression as a new member I wanted to convey.

scottiemac22

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site

When you say it is locked, are you referring to the lockscreen or the iCloud activation lock? Heck, either way it's a crap shoot and you have nothing to lose. Your options are as follows:
1. Put it in DFU mode, and try restoring it via iTunes.
2. Try selling it, but be sure to let prospective buyers know that the phone is locked and was initially a lost and found item.

Thanks... 'It's a Canes Thing, U Wouldn't Understand' Can always depend on a member of The U family...

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

He didn't mention checking with or turning it in to the police. The store probably just held it there. The owner may have filed it lost or stolen with the police.

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site

He didn't mention checking with or turning it in to the police. The store probably just held it there. The owner may have filed it lost or stolen with the police.

I'm sure the store called the police to let them know the situation.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Lost and found iphone 5

If a store has a Lost & Found section, the police will more than likely opt to leave it with the store instead of confiscating it and turning it in to an already crowded police evidence section, in my opinion. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxgyllsdoll