How to wipe an iPad that was mine, but not now in my possession.

I

iMore Question

I traded my iPad 3 (at a an Apple authorized reseller) for a new iPad Mini Retina and I had not restored it to factory settings. The "erase ..." function does not work because the iPad was originally set up using an Apple ID using Verizon. (MyUserName@verIzon.net) I switched from Verizon to Comcast and my Apple ID now uses my Comcast email as the ID. (MyUserName@comcast.net).

When I go to "erase ...", the Verizon Apple ID comes up and I am asked for my password which does not work as I no longer have a a Verizon internet account or email. Apple support (an hour on the phone) has not been helpful as they didn't understand why my Verizon email no longer worked.

This is further complicated by the fact that I traded iPads in Missouri (USA) and I am now back home in Virginia (USA). Sorry for the long post. Thanks.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The fact that you no longer have a Verizon account is irrelevant in this matter. Apple ID's can be set up using various email addresses. For example: JohnDoe@verizon.net Anyway, what you need to do is enter the passcode associated with the Apple ID you mentioned. Unless you used the same passcode as with your actual Verizon email account, it should not be the same. If you can't recall, you need to go through the password recovery steps. Anyway, I hope you deleted all of your photos, music videos, data as well as logout of the iTunes & App store, FaceTime and iMessage. Hopefully, you also deleted your email accounts prior to trading it in. If the iCloud activation lock is enabled on the device and you do not know the passcode to disable it, please let the trade in place know about it.

davidinva

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. The passcode for the Verizon-based Apple ID does not work. I have tried the password recovery steps, but the resulting email telling me how to change it apparently goes to my old Verizon email account (which is closed). If I could get the recovery email could be sent to my current email, I could follow the instructions and turn off Find My iPhone and the Activation Lock. The store is aware of all these problems and I am working with them.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
What did you do to "close" your Verizon email account? Could it be resurrected? Entered back on the iPad so you could do the recovery steps?

Sent from from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

davidinva

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
Switched from Verizon DSL to Comcast internet for the increase in speed. Used both for a month to give me time to notify my contacts of my new email address, then cancelled the Verizon account. I could create a new Verizon account, but they told me my email address would necessarily be the same as the old one. When I started using Comcast, I created a new Apple ID, not realizing that the old one would still be there on my iPad.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
When I go to "erase ...", the Verizon Apple ID comes up and I am asked for my password which does not work as I no longer have a a Verizon internet account or email.

It's not actually asking for your Verizon email password though—what it wants is the password you used for the Apple ID. In other words, the password you used when you bought something from the App Store.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2