Apple prices vs Androids

Omar Nizeyimana

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
hi guys,

I am doing a project for college, please take a look on these questions.

1) Do you guys find Apple's prices reasonable? ( please add some comments, if you can)

2) How do you find the competition with Androids (Samsung for example)? (what's your opinion)

3) Do you think that the iPhone 5C was a good move from Apple? (What's your opinion) (provide some comments if you can).

MarkDallton

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Hello!

1) Yes I find the prices reasonable for myself personally but I also understand they are on the higher end of the market at the same time. However when I buy an Apple product I know I am getting something of top quality whether it is an iPhone, iPad or a Mac I know I am getting something that is crafted beautifully and that is of a high finish in both design and engineering. Also the customer care and service is unlike any other company I have encountered so far.

2) Android phones will always have an upper hand in the pricing war but I don't think Apple minds as such because they can and they do ship so many devices when they launch. Also look at one of the biggest problems they have on Android, you may get a cheap device but the fragmentation is horrendous at times. I know that is slowly changing but its a slow process. Unless you buy a Nexus who knows what updates you could get and when you may get them? Who knows when they will suddenly cut the support for the device? I bought a Nexus myself a while ago, great price and a nice device but I came back to Apple eventually which says it all really. You pay a premium but what you get back for that money makes it well worth it.

3) No, simply because it was meant to be a cheap alternative and clearly Apple does not do cheap. What they thought would be a cheap alternative is cheaper than the current line of models such as the 5 or 5s but when compared to Android devices it is still pretty expensive.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
hi guys,

I am doing a project for college, please take a look on these questions.

1) Do you guys find Apple's prices reasonable? ( please add some comments, if you can)

2) How do you find the competition with Androids (Samsung for example)? (what's your opinion)

3) Do you think that the iPhone 5C was a good move from Apple? (What's your opinion) (provide some comments if you can).

1) here in The US we enjoy a decent price with the carriers but even if you buy it outright your getting a lot of tech for your money so I would say yes it's reasonable

2)competition is healthy and in the end it's the Consumer that comes out on top

3)there are a few threads running at this moment on this very topic

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
1) I actually find the subsidized pricing a bit low honestly. These phones are getting into the hands of so many people because of the subsidized pricing from carriers, and to me, it is making all the companies number hungry (which ALWAYS affects development focus). I feel the smartphone subsidized pricing should be in the $300 range entry level...thin out the heard a bit if you know what I mean and get the numbers to a less "insanely high" level so that development doesn't suffer.

2) I think they have made HUGE progress in "catching up" and now offer a very competitive and competent product. I personally don't care for the "bigger is better" movement from most of the competition, but there is a consumer base that wants it, so I don't blame them for filling that demand, I just think a phone should be a phone, and the iPhone (amongst many other things) fits this need of mine best.

3) I think the 5c was a fine move for Apple that was misunderstood by the majority of the world before it was released. I don't think Apple ever intended the 5c to be a "cheaper" phone, I think they intended it to be an offering vs. having a previous generation phone in their line up (which people equated to being the "older" model). The word cheap became synonymous with it, and this threw people off when it was released and actually wasn't "cheap"...I think it gives people the ability to have a "new" model phone without the premium price (but also less features)...I think Apple has done fine with it.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
3) No, simply because it was meant to be a cheap alternative and clearly Apple does not do cheap. What they thought would be a cheap alternative is cheaper than the current line of models such as the 5 or 5s but when compared to Android devices it is still pretty expensive.

Apple never indicated or "meant" for the 5c to be "cheap"...this was something that was created by the media and online communities who ran with the theory that Apple was offering a "cheap world phone"...this wasn't the case, and should have been obvious from the fact that that just isn't Apple's style. What we got was a model that filled the gap where the previous years model USED to reside. Apple wanted to make their official offerings all "new"...it was never a project to be "cheap".

MarkDallton

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Apple never indicated or "meant" for the 5c to be "cheap"...this was something that was created by the media and online communities who ran with the theory that Apple was offering a "cheap world phone"...this wasn't the case, and should have been obvious from the fact that that just isn't Apple's style. What we got was a model that filled the gap where the previous years model USED to reside. Apple wanted to make their official offerings all "new"...it was never a project to be "cheap".

Then it was misunderstood by most people myself included. So I would personally still regard it as not being much of a success. Of course that's open to opinions but you ask many people out there and they associate the 5c as the 'cheap one'

Like I said, Apple doesn't do cheap so clearly it ended up being misunderstood in that case.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Then it was misunderstood by most people myself included. So I would personally still regard it as not being much of a success. Of course that's open to opinions but you ask many people out there and they associate the 5c as the 'cheap one'

Like I said, Apple doesn't do cheap so clearly it ended up being misunderstood in that case.

As with mainstream news...when something is reported (even if it is completely false), a very large chunk of society will follow it like a dog to a bowl of food. This isn't Apple's fault, and they never really give any information out until their keynotes where ALL information is released at one time. Apple was building their new entry model device, and someone decided that it "must be the cheap iPhone the world has been waiting for!", but they were wrong...along with the millions of people in line behind them that bought into it.

In reality, it IS the cheaper model...but it isn't "cheap" in the way it was regarded before it's release. It is the less feature rich model with the less feature rich price (just like a Macbook Air is the cheaper Macbook compared to the MBP...doesn't mean it's "cheap", just means it's the entry level device).

As far as success...the numbers they are moving with the 5c are more than competitive with the rest of the market comparing single device to single device. People view success in different ways, but if we look at what makes a device successful to a business like Apple, it's simply in numbers sold and response to device. As far as I've ready to this point, people are generally satisfied with the 5c and the numbers speak for themselves. No real opinion there...just cold hard facts honestly.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't excuse that calling it unsuccessful is flat out wrong though. I could say that in my opinion, Oranges' are more unhealthy than fast food...it's my opinion, even if there isn't an ounce of legitimacy or logic to it.

People usually call the 5C unsuccessful by Apple's 'own standards,' whatever that means for different people, which is a flawed argument in my opinion, because the 5C isn't meant to be outselling the 5S.

Whoever thought the 5C was going to be the Popular iPhone isn't really thinking deeply what that statement means.

This is why Apple will always take its fair share of criticisms, they just can't please the overboard expectations.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
People usually call the 5C unsuccessful by Apple's 'own standards,' whatever that means for different people, which is a flawed argument in my opinion, because the 5C isn't meant to be outselling the 5S.

Whoever thought the 5C was going to be the Popular iPhone isn't really thinking deeply what that statement means.

This is why Apple will always take its fair share of criticisms, they just can't please the overboard expectations.

Exactly. I mean if rumor gets out that the new iPhone will have a cookie maker built in and it turns out it doesn't, you'll have a select group that will be irritated and start their typical negative reflection on it. It's so silly...if Apple doesn't SAY it, don't invest into it heavily (or at all in some cases)...you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
1. I think the off-contract pricing and the subsidized pricing are too far apart. I agree that the subsidized pricing should be higher, because firstly it would help offset a lot of the burden off the carriers. given the already blue faces they get when dealing with Apple, and secondly it would reflect the more premium product placements Apple obviously wants the iPhone to represent. I do understand that Apple wants to get as many users on to the product, but I believe they could push subsidized pricing a tad higher and still not break the bank for the majority of the people looking to buy iPhones.

2. I believe Apple iPhones and Android phones are apples and oranges. One is designed for tighter integration from the start, to work with media consumption as a main feature, while the other is created for greater freedom, choice and openness. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. If I were to judge a winner out of this, I would say iPhones hold an edge in the reliability department and consistency.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2