How are people finding the battery is lasting, with the always on feature.

A_M_W

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
First day of full use and the battery seems to be dropping quite quickly. Obviously you use more when new, so that is a factor. Time will tell. I am loving being able to see the watch without have to raise my arm.
I upgraded from series 3 and the newer design and size is fab.

garment69

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
First day of full use and the battery seems to be dropping quite quickly. Obviously you use more when new, so that is a factor. Time will tell. I am loving being able to see the watch without have to raise my arm.
I upgraded from series 3 and the newer design and size is fab.

Based on day one use; terrible. I would say 30-40% less than my series 4. Hopefully it improves.

A_M_W

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
Based on day one use; terrible. I would say 30-40% less than my series 4. Hopefully it improves.

Yep is am finding exactly the same. Was hoping battery would optimise after a couple of days. Might try it with ‘always on’ turned off, mind not that’s not a solution as it was main selling point of this Watch.

garment69

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Yep is am finding exactly the same. Was hoping battery would optimise after a couple of days. Might try it with ‘always on’ turned off, mind not that’s not a solution as it was main selling point of this Watch.

Yeah, it AOD needs to be turned off I’ll just go back to the series 4. Only reason I upgraded.

A_M_W

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, it AOD needs to be turned off I’ll just go back to the series 4. Only reason I upgraded.

I upgraded from series 3 and it doesn’t come close to that battery and that device was two years old. Hopefully Apple will be able to sort it with a software update. It’s disappointing though!!

garment69

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I upgraded from series 3 and it doesn’t come close to that battery and that device was two years old. Hopefully Apple will be able to sort it with a software update. It’s disappointing though!!

I can report some good news on the battery front. I took it off the charger this morning and the batter plummeted like 6% in 15 minutes. Put it back on the charger to 100% and now it’s at 99 after about an hour or so. Looks to be settling down.

A_M_W

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
I can report some good news on the battery front. I took it off the charger this morning and the batter plummeted like 6% in 15 minutes. Put it back on the charger to 100% and now it’s at 99 after about an hour or so. Looks to be settling down.

I am down to 33% after about 8 hours use. Wasn’t unusual with my old watch to still have 50% battery left at the end of the day.

Last edited:

anachrotech

Aug 14, 2018
Visit site
One the first couple days it sucked big time. Went from 100 % to 50 % in 6 hours. My Series 4 normally would be at 52 % after 24 hours. After that first couple days though, it's all good. Losing may 1 - 1.5 % per hour. Just needed time to settle down I guess. :yes:

A_M_W

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
One the first couple days it sucked big time. Went from 100 % to 50 % in 6 hours. My Series 4 normally would be at 52 % after 24 hours. After that first couple days though, it's all good. Losing may 1 - 1.5 % per hour. Just needed time to settle down I guess. :yes:

Thanks for replying. With my watch, the issue seems to be with the ‘always on feature’’. With that turned off the battery is great. I’ve contacted Apple Support and they think it’s a hardware issue. So I have a genius appointment on Saturday to see if I need a replacement device!

anachrotech

Aug 14, 2018
Visit site
A bit of an update. I have found, contrary to what I posted previously as only a few hours passed on the day I posted, that I would be at less that 45% before 9:00 PM. By morning it was at 22%. On my series 4, I was at least at 70% at the same time in the evening and by morning I'd still show 50-52%. I am a very light user, except for my runs, which at the moment are not overly long. :D
I turned off AOD and the watch is now the same as my series 4, give or take a couple percentage points. I'll probably keep it off except for my runs.

bassjo

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
I picked my series 5 up today around 1 o’clock, it was at 78%, as I type this it’s at 45%. And this is with AOD on, so it dropped +30% over the almost 8 hour period. I generally get up at 0330 to workout, and like to cycle in the afternoons if possible then in bed around 2030 so I’ve got a pretty full day. I’ve estimated that my watch may possibly be around 30% when I hit the rack. I’ll give it a try tomorrow with a full day and see.

MikeF808

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
I charged my SS model to 100 percent late yesterday afternoon. It’s now 8am and I am at 78 percent. Granted, I do not have cellular activated and I do not keep the WiFi radio on as I am rarely out of range of my phone. The only issue I have found is that every so often, it will take the screen about two seconds to activate after being tapped. This is both with and without always on activated. But, I will make a new thread for that issue.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I just received the 40mm S5 yesterday - a nice upgrade from my old S2. Today, so far, the watch is off the charger at 6 am (it's now almost 10), I have done an 80 minute running workout, and the battery is at 82%. I have a cellular model (though cellular is not activated), have no third party apps on the watch, turned off music sync to the watch (I never listen to media on my watch), I have photo sync set to 25 photos, and I turned off environmental sound measurement. Always on display is turned on.

Very happy with this so far.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Took my watch off the charger at around 8 this morning, it's 22:53 right now and I'm still at 30%. And it's been a busy notification day.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Just as an update, I did a full day with a 60 minute workout and no charging at all during the day (I usually charge while I take a shower) and went to bed at 11 pm (after taking the watch off the charger at 6:15 am, so a 17 hour day) and the watch was at 31%.

It's good enough for me.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
That "always on" feature is what turned me away from getting one. Even though it can be turned off, after reading all this, I'll stay with my S3.

Carraser23

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
I usually end the day with about 30% heavy use, AOD with the Siri watch face. I thought that would drain a ton more battery with so many proactive complications but it doesn’t!

dsignori

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That "always on" feature is what turned me away from getting one. Even though it can be turned off, after reading all this, I'll stay with my S3.

You might want to look again. Most posts here seem to report decent battery life. A few are not of course.

ronpfid

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
I just got mine, so going to see if my usual charging habits work well enough. With my Series 2, I'd charge for 2 hours a day, it would be about at 45% after 24 hours, and 2 hours would get it pretty much to 100%, I wear mine while sleeping so the last 2 hours before bed it would be on the charger, hoping this one will be similar, it does 'seem' like the battery is dropping faster though.....

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
My S5, even with AOD, has better battery life than my S2 does/did. (Some of that is probably that the S2 is 33 months old, though.)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77