Series 2 Unboxing Disappointment

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
First World Problem, but I'm going to whine a little anyway.

My Apple Sports and Stainless Steel Watch came in flat hard plastic cases, and a hard cube-shaped plastic case, respectively, inside nice cardboard boxes.

My Series 2 Aluminum Watch came in a long rectangular cardboard box very similar if not the same as the Sport Watches. On opening the box, I found the usual literature and underneath that was a light, molded plastic tray holding the Watch. Underneath that was the AC/USB adapter and corded puck. No reusable plastic case.

I hadn't seen any Unboxing Day videos so I thought the event would be pretty much identical to my previous experiences.

To be sure, the cardboard box construction and packing were typical Apple quality- first rate, meticulously executed. Just no reusable plastic box. Now I understand that this new method doesn't impact the Watches and has benefits- lighter weight, 99% recyclable, and less expensive. When shipping hundreds of thousands or millions of units, all that adds up. And Mother Earth thanks us for responsible stewardship. All good stuff.

But I miss the reusable plastic boxes. /WHINE

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
You can have my Series 0 box. It's been sitting on the floor of my bedroom closet since the day I got my Watch.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I liked the plastic box, too. For my Series II Stainless Steel Space Black, I had the fancy square box ;)
Also, does the Aluminum one come with the little power brick? I didn't think it did...(unless I'm thinking of how they are now packaging the 1st Gen)

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
For my Series II Stainless Steel Space Black, I had the fancy square box

The Apple Watch Stainless got it so I figured the S2 would, as well. I don't know that I'll be upgrading to the SSS2.

The Aluminum S2 does come with the power brick/AC-USB adapter. The Series 1 doesn't. The Gen 1 (Apple Watch did have the AC adapter as well.

So.......how's the watch?

In the areas similar to my Apple Watches, it's great, as I expected. I haven't tried the GPS yet. I'll go radio silent on my phone and see how the Watch works. I like how it and the others give a Taptic alert and show give a direction when using Maps on the phone. It'll be interesting to use the Watch with Maps and Navigon, without the phone.

Something of a disappointment is the brightness. I was out in the sun today and could barely see the watch face. It seemed slightly dimmer than my Apple Watches. I'll have to take one of each out to compare.

I want a new Space Gray so I may get the S1 instead of the S2.

tech_fan

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
The Apple Watch Stainless got it so I figured the S2 would, as well. I don't know that I'll be upgrading to the SSS2.

The Aluminum S2 does come with the power brick/AC-USB adapter. The Series 1 doesn't. The Gen 1 (Apple Watch did have the AC adapter as well.

In the areas similar to my Apple Watches, it's great, as I expected. I haven't tried the GPS yet. I'll go radio silent on my phone and see how the Watch works. I like how it and the others give a Taptic alert and show give a direction when using Maps on the phone. It'll be interesting to use the Watch with Maps and Navigon, without the phone.

Something of a disappointment is the brightness. I was out in the sun today and could barely see the watch face. It seemed slightly dimmer than my Apple Watches. I'll have to take one of each out to compare.

I want a new Space Gray so I may get the S1 instead of the S2.

I was just about ready to post about the brightness and thought it was just me. I have the original SS Apple watch and upgraded to the SS Space Black Apple Watch 2. I decided to compare the brightness on both. I cannot tell the difference when I have both of the brightness levels in settings cranked all the way up. If anything, the new one has a very marginal increase in brightness but that is after really comparing the 2.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
The un-boxing experience is all part of the purchase, I get that. It definitely make me like the product that much more if it's a nice experience but to be honest, after day 1. The box sits in the cuboard and never gets used again unless the device has to be repaired and sent back. Rather focus on the actual product, since that's what you using everyday :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77