Two Factor Authentication Headaches...

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if this is a normal issue or if it was just me. I was trying to sign into my Apple ID on my Apple TV. I kept getting the prompt to enter the code that was sent to my other devices after entering my Apple ID password. I would enter my password and I'd be looped back around to it telling me to enter my password followed by the code. I never got the page to enter the code although I was receiving the code on my other devices. So I couldn't sign into the iTunes store on my Apple TV. This was a problem because we were trying to watch a movie that we had purchased.

Eventually the issue was resolved by disabling two factor authentication. Kind of sucks when something that is supposed to increase security adds frustration.

Anyone else had a similar issue?

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
I have heard of this problem with some people. But I have not had any issues and been using Two Factor for quite some time without problems.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm not a fan of all the 2 factor stuff. I'm afraid I'll muck up my account and not ever get in. I didn't know it could be disabled. I thought once you set it up, that was it and if you forgot or lost the code, you were out of luck. Email and password has worked well for me. I do use a strong password.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm not a fan of all the 2 factor stuff. I'm afraid I'll muck up my account and not ever get in. I didn't know it could be disabled. I thought once you set it up, that was it and if you forgot or lost the code, you were out of luck. Email and password has worked well for me. I do use a strong password.

Nah...disabling it is pretty simple. Kind of sucks I had to do it though. Although, it's honestly more of a hassle. My data isn't ground shattering to where I need to jump through hoops to secure it honestly. I think I'll keep it disabled until a better method of security presents itself.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

Those codes are sent to you per notification on your trusted devices.
If you have multiple devices, all of them get the code simultaneously.
The backup codes are just that, for backup in case something goes wrong.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I reluctantly just enabled 2FA, because I worry about complications as well. I just finished updating my iPad, and it worked just fine. I remain "cautiously optimistic"... but if it becomes a hassle, then I will disable it in a heartbeat!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Those codes are sent to you per notification on your trusted devices.
If you have multiple devices, all of them get the code simultaneously.
The backup codes are just that, for backup in case something goes wrong.

Thing is, I don't need it. I feel absolutely secure with what I have.

yaxaku

Mar 29, 2017
Visit site
I've experienced the same. I keep on getting asked for the code sent to my other devices and I've received the code twice only.
Any suggestions?

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I've experienced the same. I keep on getting asked for the code sent to my other devices and I've received the code twice only.
Any suggestions?

I went so far as to reset my AppleTV. I wasn't able to get it to work at all. My last effort was disabling 2FA. I couldn't figure out a resolution that didn't include that. I'd imagine once you disable it and sign in you can re-enable 2FA, if you choose.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Well I learned the hard way when I upgraded from 6S+ to 7+. During the restore process, I was asked what device to send the security code to, my iPhone (that I just disabled) or my iPad (which I didn't bring with me). The next time I upgrade I'll take my iPad with me. :)

mileson73

Apr 5, 2017
Visit site
Ahhh, I knew that will be problem with this apple update policy from 15. june.
And now, I can't use my default mail app on laptop to read messages, I have to login through browser on my icloud mail.
Does somene also have this problem because of Two-factor authentication. My country just isn't on the list, so I can't use Two-factor authentication, and don't know how to connect to my apple mail account.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Ahhh, I knew that will be problem with this apple update policy from 15. june.
And now, I can't use my default mail app on laptop to read messages, I have to login through browser on my icloud mail.
Does somene also have this problem because of Two-factor authentication. My country just isn't on the list, so I can't use Two-factor authentication, and don't know how to connect to my apple mail account.

First of, what country are you referring to?
Second, if you couldn’t enable 2fa, you won’t be asked for a 2fa.

mileson73

Apr 5, 2017
Visit site
1. Country is Serbia. Apple have official reseller and iPhone you can buy throw any mobile operator.
2. I can't enable 2fa, but I got message from apple few days ago. Here is part of that mail: "This is a reminder that beginning on June 15, app-specific passwords will be required to access your iCloud data using third‑party apps such as Microsoft Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird, or other mail, contacts, and calendar services not provided by Apple.

If you are already signed in to a third‑party app using your primary Apple ID password, you will be signed out automatically when this change takes effect. You will need to generate an app-specific password and sign in again.

To generate an app-specific password, turn on two-factor authentication for your Apple ID and then follow the instructions below:...."

So, if I want to use any third party app, you have to generate app specific pass, and that is only bu 2fa.
Why I can't decide about that, or at least i should be given oportunity to have 2fa.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
1. Country is Serbia. Apple have official reseller and iPhone you can buy throw any mobile operator.
2. I can't enable 2fa, but I got message from apple few days ago. Here is part of that mail: "This is a reminder that beginning on June 15, app-specific passwords will be required to access your iCloud data using third‑party apps such as Microsoft Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird, or other mail, contacts, and calendar services not provided by Apple.

If you are already signed in to a third‑party app using your primary Apple ID password, you will be signed out automatically when this change takes effect. You will need to generate an app-specific password and sign in again.

To generate an app-specific password, turn on two-factor authentication for your Apple ID and then follow the instructions below:...."

So, if I want to use any third party app, you have to generate app specific pass, and that is only bu 2fa.
Why I can't decide about that, or at least i should be given oportunity to have 2fa.

In your case it’s best to contact https://support.apple.com about this.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

That only affects 3rd party apps where you use your Apple ID to log in. For example, I have an email app that had my iCloud email. So I had to log in to that with my Apple ID. So I just deleted the iCloud email from the App. It was the only app that used my Apple ID. So I'm good to go.

mileson73

Apr 5, 2017
Visit site
That only affects 3rd party apps where you use your Apple ID to log in. For example, I have an email app that had my iCloud email. So I had to log in to that with my Apple ID. So I just deleted the iCloud email from the App. It was the only app that used my Apple ID. So I'm good to go.
Heh, that's not the point. First of all - imagine you don't have macboo, iMac or any other apple computer.
So tell me in that case, how now you read your mails from icloud on your computer?
And please don't tell me that I can log in with my browser. I want all my mails from all my accounts in one place in app.
As I could understand you, you simply deleted iCloud account and voila. You don't have it any more in that app.
@Tartarus let's see what support will tell about this.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2