Apple Pay Failure / How to reinitiate NFC?

brettferrell

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
ApplePay has worked really well generally, but lately a couple of times (at McDonald's) I place the phone on/near the NFC reader, with my finger on the sensor, the phone wakes up, see's that a payment is available, but just sits there saying "hold near reader" or some such. It never authenticates the payment, and if I turn off of the screen and try again, it doesn't bring up the pay dialog. Is there some way to "restart" a payment attempt? I can't find any documentation of this.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
ApplePay has worked really well generally, but lately a couple of times (at McDonald's) I place the phone on/near the NFC reader, with my finger on the sensor, the phone wakes up, see's that a payment is available, but just sits there saying "hold near reader" or some such. It never authenticates the payment, and if I turn off of the screen and try again, it doesn't bring up the pay dialog. Is there some way to "restart" a payment attempt? I can't find any documentation of this.

I don't think there is a restart a payment feature, but I assume that if you exit out of the Passbook app, and then restart it, you should be able to start the payment process over again. I've haven't had that happen yet so I'm only guessing.

brettferrell

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Yea, OK, I get that, but it just seems like there should be a process to "retry" the payment. It's so cool when it works that it's really annoying when it doesn't.

KDParker

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
I have only had issues if the stores NFC reader was defective. Apple Pay has worked 100% when the stores equipment is working.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Before taking my boys to watch a movie earlier, we stopped by a nearby McDonald's and dined in. I paid with Pay and it was quick and flawless. That is how paying with Pay should be at Walgreen's, in my opinion. Anyway, the hostess thanked me for my payment and gave me the receipt, and as always, I immediately scanned the receipt using the Scannable app and then saved it in my Evernote Receipts folder...;)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77