Regrettably my AirPods have been Dethroned

airneffect

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
So I participated in the Bragi Dash Kickstarter a few years ago now and I sort of suffered the 1.0 blues. They never quite stayed connected and I had allot of issues with the fit. I managed to order and get my AirPods right out of the chute when they became available and I loved everything about them. I slipped them in and I never looked back. Being a tech junkie however I saw the new Custom Bragi Dash by Starkey and I couldn't resist. I followed their directions and got an appointment to have the custom fit molding done and right about a month later they showed up. You might be able to say this about many custom in ear buds, but the experience is phenomenally different. The sound is fantastic and the fit is (obviously) perfect. Now my AirPods sit and my brand new ear computers have taken their place. Has anyone else tried the new Bragi custom edition by Starkey? -AIR->

aed043a17d4899a85220ea5922da6472.jpg

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I’ve never heard of the brand. Still, I have more than enough earpieces, both wired and wireless, but I’m glad you’re enjoying the Dash Pro earbuds....

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
Took my AirPods back after a couple of days of use. Now I'm using the Beats X. Except for them hanging like a necklace I like them.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I never heard of that brand either, but I'm glad you're happy with them. It's funny to me how everyone/everything is trying beat or comparing or "dethroning" Apple in one way or another...LOL. Apple has had a "bullseye" (figuratively speaking of course) on their backs for a long time and just seem to keep on going (like the Energizing Bunny). I'm trying to remember if I've ever seen Apple advertising comparing themselves to another brand, nope, not that I can recall from the many advertisements that I've seen.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I never heard of that brand either, but I'm glad you're happy with them. It's funny to me how everyone/everything is trying beat or comparing or "dethroning" Apple in one way or another...LOL. Apple has had a "bullseye" (figuratively speaking of course) on their backs for a long time and just seem to keep on going (like the Energizing Bunny). I'm trying to remember if I've ever seen Apple advertising comparing themselves to another brand, nope, not that I can recall from the many advertisements that I've seen.

It’s funny yes, but also terribly easy. I have no intention of ever spending $160 plus tax on a product I know the quality is that of $40 max. I don’t believe the W1 chip or convenience is worth $100+. I have a pair of lightweight on-ear headphones that cost $50 when I bought that beat anything Apple makes. And a pair of $80 in-ears that absolutely put them to shame. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll gladly accept a free pair of AirPods or buy them for $40 and use them, I’ll just never pay full price for them.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
It’s funny yes, but also terribly easy. I have no intention of ever spending $160 plus tax on a product I know the quality is that of $40 max. I don’t believe the W1 chip or convenience is worth $100+. I have a pair of lightweight on-ear headphones that cost $50 when I bought that beat anything Apple makes. And a pair of $80 in-ears that absolutely put them to shame. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll gladly accept a free pair of AirPods or buy them for $40 and use them, I’ll just never pay full price for them.

Yes, everyone has an opinion and yes it's widely known that Apple over charges for their products, but there are a lot of people including myself that think the AirPods are indeed worth the "Apple" price of convenience. In all honesty I believe the quality of the AirPods are little better than $40....maybe $75...LOL

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Yes, everyone has an opinion and yes it's widely known that Apple over charges for their products, but there are a lot of people including myself that think the AirPods are indeed worth the "Apple" price of convenience. In all honesty I believe the quality of the AirPods are little better than $40....maybe $75...LOL

I agree, a lot of people love them and have no problem paying for them. Subjectively though, based off of hardware, the sound quality is not great and not worth the cost. That’s why I’ll never pay full price for them. Sound quality is a fact based science, sound signature is how a company chooses to push the sound and is a matter of opinion.

airneffect

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Agreed! I'm not one of those people. The Dash is a highly specialized product that costs twice what AirPods do, so they are not truly meant to compete. I was really conflicted because I really enjoyed the simplicity of the AirPods. Not giving them up though they are just no longer my favorite. The Dash has allot of features that Apple is not currently interested in for its shipping products. They (my AirPods) will no doubt find their way back in the rotation. They are way too cool of a product not to use.

-AIR->

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I'm familiar with the Bragi Dash earphones and all the other AirPod competitors, and they are competitors.

The W1 chip is the reason I wanted the AirPods, not to mention the cost compared to the Bragis. I've had several earphones, wired and BT. but never wireless BT.

And I specifically wanted some kind of BT earphones to wear out and about so those that sealed well were not a consideration. The AirPods fit the bill, so I'm happy with them. The sound is better than expected, so very satisfactory for me. For those times when I want better sound from earphones (and not headphones) the Sure 530s are my goto.

airneffect

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
To be honest, I didn't understand the true value of the W1 chip until I experienced it first hand. The fact that my AirPods showed up on all of my devices and connected seamlessly without the usual Pairing routine was Awesome! You give that up when you move to any other device save Beats X. The sound in AirPods is great for Audio Books and Podcasts. The in-ear feature in Beats X makes them a better product for music listening. The Dash Pro by Starkey, again is a highly specialized product. If you haven't heard them after being customized for your ears, there isn't a good way to explain how Phenomenal the sound is. It's down right beautiful. What you lose is the seamless way that the AirPods connect to anything you own in the Apple ecosystem. All of these products have their place and have sure strengths that make them great. In the end it all comes down to what's most important to you. For me it is smooth sound, warm lows and crisp highs all at even the lowest volumes. Oh and the fact that the Dash is waterproof, does language translation and will not come out of your ears no matter what you are doing... If I could stick my AirPods in a custom case made for my ears.... Well, that's a battle for another day.

-AIR->

usmc8408

Oct 27, 2016
Visit site

There's a huge difference between popularity and quality. Apple definitely wins the popularity contest, but don't for a second think they win in quality. Plus, they are really good at buying up potential competitors.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Well I like mine. I use them all day at work. They sound great and have no issues with them.

As a walker and bike rider, I think the thing I like the most about them is that the don't completely seal in your ear canal. This allows me to still hear traffic, dogs, and others passing me when I ride.

djrakowski

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I’m considering Airpods as an alternative to Jaybird X3 in-ear headphones for running, where sound quality is, at best, my fourth-highest priority (with awareness of my environment, comfort and staying in place ranking higher). The Jaybirds don’t stay in consistently and I’ve found them uncomfortable even when the DO stay in. EarPods are comfortable and usually stay in, so I figure Airpods would be even better, considering that they don’t have cords pulling on them.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77