Any sources for the MagSafe 45W charger besides Apple?

SWFLFFPM

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
I just bought my first MBA 11" and I want to get a spare charger.

The ones on the Apple site get terrible reviews (actually so do most of their chargers).

I see some on EBay that are no name brands.

Any ideas?

I tried Monoprice but no luck. They make great IP chargers though.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The MacAuthority Stores may sell them or other Apple reseller or service center.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I would recommend only getting them from Apple or an authorized provider, like Best Buy. If you buy from somewhere like eBay, you risk damaging your Mac or having a product that doesn't work.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

SWFLFFPM

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
The reviews on the Apple site for their brand chargers are shockingly poor.

I was hoping for a better aftermarket charger even if it costs more.

I apologize for the wrong forum. I diid not realize it was iOS device accessories.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
I have a spare charger I bought from Apple for my MBA Mid 2012, 13"
No problems here.
My personal preference is always to but Apple OEM chargers for all of my devices.

Good Luck

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The reviews on the Apple site for their brand chargers are shockingly poor.

I was hoping for a better aftermarket charger even if it costs more.

I apologize for the wrong forum. I diid not realize it was iOS device accessories.

So based solely on the fact that some others are not saying good things about their Apple chargers, you've determined that all of them are "shockingly poor". Yet, you've yet to complain about the one that came with your brand new computer. Do you see why I'm a tad skeptical of your intent?

SWFLFFPM

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
I apologize if I am not clear on my intent. I'm not trying to cause skepticism or ding Apple or anyone else.

All I am trying to do is buy an extra charger for my MBA.

I have nothing against OEM chargers. I was really surprised at the consistent negative reviews on the Apple site and wondered if there were any other options.

When I got my first iPhone -the 5S-I got stuck in a bad spot because I did not know about that charging chip issue and all I had with me was a cable from my wife's ip5 that didn't work on the 5S. I found monoprice had compatible cables that were good quality and a good price and have subsequently placed several orders with them. I was hoping to find the same type thing with the MBA- an alternative source for quality chargers.

I am impatiently waiting for my MBA to arrive. It is due in a few hours. Despite the fact that I am in my 50s and have been through countless desktops, this will be my first laptop-ever. I do have an iMac-my first Apple product-bought about a year ago.

SWFLFFPM

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
As I said above, Apple does not license the MagSafe adapters to anyone else. So any third party charging you find would automatically be suspect. As far as finding it cheaper on some sites, that's always possible but I'm usually not willing to trust my credit card to an unknown site.

Well you are right.

I googled prontochargers and found a recent list of complaints that basically state they are scams that sell generic chargers they try to pass off as Apple brand. This is one of several sites, all with the same theme.

ProntoCharger Reviews | Prontocharger.com Consumer Reviews on SiteJabber

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I apologize if I am not clear on my intent. I'm not trying to cause skepticism or ding Apple or anyone else.

All I am trying to do is buy an extra charger for my MBA.

I have nothing against OEM chargers. I was really surprised at the consistent negative reviews on the Apple site and wondered if there were any other options.

When I got my first iPhone -the 5S-I got stuck in a bad spot because I did not know about that charging chip issue and all I had with me was a cable from my wife's ip5 that didn't work on the 5S. I found monoprice had compatible cables that were good quality and a good price and have subsequently placed several orders with them. I was hoping to find the same type thing with the MBA- an alternative source for quality chargers.

I am impatiently waiting for my MBA to arrive. It is due in a few hours. Despite the fact that I am in my 50s and have been through countless desktops, this will be my first laptop-ever. I do have an iMac-my first Apple product-bought about a year ago.

Okay, I understand, and thanks for the follow-up...:)