Lightening Cables Going Bad

Toochief

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I've now just had my second lightening cable go bad since the release of iPhone 5. Specially, they don't charge my phone anymore. They just quite working. Both were purchased as the cable that came with the phone from Apple. Anyone else experiencing a short shelf life with these cables? Can I exchange them at no cost?

ups925

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I havent had any issues with official apple cables. My ancient ipod cable from 2004 still works fine. Ive only encountered problems with aftermarket iphone 5 cables. Caused me to pay $20 each for extra cables ahhhhh!!!! I miss $2 ebay colored cables.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm on my third. I'm not sure of its warranty or Assurion that VZW is replacing them.

The cables and the charger plug are covered by the AppleCare warranty that came with the phone. As long as you iPhone is covered, so are the charger components. If there’s an Apple store near you, take them there.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
There's one in the city next to my town. I got Assurion oh wait I'm with eSecuritel now bc AppleCare doesn't cover theft.

If you are within the first year of ownership for that iPhone, you are covered. AppleCare is the basic manufacturer warranty that is included with the iPhone. If that is the case, take the cables/charger to an Apple store for warranty exchange.

And don’t confuse AppleCare, which is the basic 1-year manufacturer warranty that you get with every iPhone purchase, with AppleCare+ which is the $99 extended warranty that you have to purchase separately.

theKHMERboy

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I don't know how your charger is not working cause I bought my iPhone 5 last October and been using the same charger that came with the phone and I have had no problems with it

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I've exchanged lightning cables before, but am on AppleCare+.

Sometimes they wear through -- it's weird.

Good to be able to get new ones tho. And as we upgrade our App,e devices, we'll build up our supplies, just like with the old 30-pin cables.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I've never had Apple cables go bad but someone that lived with me would go through 30 pin cables and the small chargers like tissues. I couldn't understand it. The 30 pin cable end would be chewed up and the charger prongs would be bent. This person went through 2 30 pin cables and 1 charger in 6 months.
After having 3 iPhone models since 2007 I've never bought a 30 pin cable. I'm still trying figure out what the hell she did to those cables.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I've never had Apple cables go bad but someone that lived with me would go through 30 pin cables and the small chargers like tissues. I couldn't understand it. The 30 pin cable end would be chewed up and the charger prongs would be bent. This person went through 2 30 pin cables and 1 charger in 6 months.
After having 3 iPhone models since 2007 I've never bought a 30 pin cable. I'm still trying figure out what the hell she did to those cables.

It’s a relatively small diameter cable filled with tiny wires... they don’t take abuse too well... and people want to unplug everything by yanking on the cord, instead of the plugs... but at $30 per, it can be an expensive lesson. At least one would think so.

mynameis

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm on my third charger. The first one took a dump about a week after I got it. It was given to me by the guy that I got my 5 from so that's understandable. My second lasted for months. I think it's because I have it plugged into my wall behind my bed and it's pushed up right up to the charger and bends the cord. After a while, it probably just ruins the wires in the the charger.

blessed2bamommie

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't know how your charger is not working cause I bought my iPhone 5 last October and been using the same charger that came with the phone and I have had no problems with it

🍪

I have small child....stuffed inside bags. Glad I don't have to pay each time. However my iPad 30 pin has gone missing....

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
When I sell my old phone I include the charger and cable that way I use the new one every year ...

But I did have a 30 pin go out and since phone was covered apple replaced the charger and cable

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2