Otterbox Defender questions

sprocket2107

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking about getting the OB Defender and was curious about a few things. How well does it protect the iPhone from drops and such? Also will I have to take off the outer layer in order to plug in my headphones, switch to silent or plug in to charge? Do I need to take off my current screen protector due to the built in screen protector? Is the OB Defender worth it?

BParker4381

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking about getting the OB Defender and was curious about a few things. How well does it protect the iPhone from drops and such? Also will I have to take off the outer layer in order to plug in my headphones, switch to silent or plug in to charge? Do I need to take off my current screen protector due to the built in screen protector? Is the OB Defender worth it?

All I have ever used is the OtterBox Defender with my iPhone and it protects it great against drops, it also has flaps you simply open for your charger, silent switch and headphones. You don't need to use a screen protector since the Defender has one built in plus if you try to it will leave "water marks" where they want to stick together so it is better if you pull the screen protector off. That answer your question?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

iVazz

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site

Protects it well, but it can be bulky. Buttons and dock connection port are covered with flaps you can lift up for access so no need to remove the silicone part (unless you're taking phone out for cleaning). You'll want to remove your current screen protector tho. All in all, it's worth it.

Sent from the dark recesses of my mind using Tapatalk.

sprocket2107

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
How well does the built in screen protector work and last? Have you guys had any problems with them at all? Like is it just as responsive as having the phone without a screen protector?

djg21

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Only downside is that once every month or so I have to take the case off to clean the inside of screen protector. I also had to take the case off to insert my phone into a friend's Bose dock. Otherwise, I never remove the case. It's awesome and Otterbox even replaced it under warranty no questions asked when I managed to rip the left top corner taking it off and putting it on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk; typos courtesy of auto correct.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I bought the Defender in "Glacier" when I got my 4S and I really like it. I'm using something thinner for the summer since I don't have extra pockets (in a coat, sweatshirt, etc). The gray stayed very clean, the screen protector is awesome (I have never had an issue typing), the port covers stay in place but are easy to open and very rarely did I ever have to take my phone out to clean it. If you have any reservations, throw them out the window! I am very happy with that case and, as long as you don't mind the bulk, you won't either.

PS - Amazon had the Defender cases for about $30 - $35 dollars when I got mine - now they are even cheaper (Amazon.com: Otterbox Defender Series Hybrid Case & Holster for iPhone 4 & 4S - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories). You might want to check them out if you would like to save a few bucks (just make sure the item is shipped and sold from Amazon to ensure it's an authentic OtterBox case)!

sprocket2107

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
My two concerns are the screen protector which you guys have made clear that it is fine and my other concern is the headphone port. I sometimes have a problems connecting to friends stereo systems via auxiliary cable. Is that something I worry about?

djg21

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
No. I use headphones regularly. Lift the flap on the Defender and plug in.

sprocket2107

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to keep bothering everyone, why about the speakers? Is there a noticeable difference with the case on and off? Are there speaker cutouts?

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
How well does the built in screen protector work and last? Have you guys had any problems with them at all? Like is it just as responsive as having the phone without a screen protector?

Built in SP is fine. I can't stand the stick on do it yourself SPs. They just look wrong. Take off your SP and use the OB ones. It'll keep your phone safe.

Only downside is that once every month or so I have to take the case off to clean the inside of screen protector. I also had to take the case off to insert my phone into a friend's Bose dock. Otherwise, I never remove the case. It's awesome and Otterbox even replaced it under warranty no questions asked when I managed to rip the left top corner taking it off and putting it on.

Adding in here - I have to take my OB and my Ballistics off to get my iPhonet to dock at work and at home. You can buy an extender cable made by CableJive which will take care of that.

My two concerns are the screen protector which you guys have made clear that it is fine and my other concern is the headphone port. I sometimes have a problems connecting to friends stereo systems via auxiliary cable. Is that something I worry about?

No.

Sorry to keep bothering everyone, why about the speakers? Is there a noticeable difference with the case on and off? Are there speaker cutouts?

No. The only gripe I have is that I have to take the entire case off to dock, but that's to be expected. Speakers sound fine when I use my phone with the case on.

Reactions: sprocket2107

saynt j

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
The built in screen protector does a good job, but I also have a privacy screen in between the otterbox and the phone. Now, the phone is almost completely secure. My next case is either the Mophie Pro (rugged like the OB, but with an extra battery) or the LifeProof (summer and swimming are here!)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77