OtterBox Defender for iPhone 4s

MattMJB0188

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Anyone try one of the new OtterBox Defender cases for the 4s? I have and ended up returning it and thought I'd share my experience. I had the iPhone 4 for a short time and purchased an OtterBox Defender for iPhone 4 and absolutely adored it. Well shortly after getting my 4s, I decided to get a new OtterBox Defender so it would properly fit the phone and OtterBox claims the iPhone 4 case WILL NOT fit the 4s. I will get right to the point - I was very disappointed with the new case. The built in screen protector was loose and every time I typed on the phone the screen would gently cave in and move to the point where it drove me nuts. I also didn't like how much larger they made the cut off around the proximity sensor and camera opening. Anyway, I just wanted to share my short-lived experience with the new Defender case. Perhaps I received a defective one. If anyone else can post their experience on the new Defender Series for the 4s that would be great. Thanks

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I love my 4S Defender case. I love that the silicone sleeve thing is made so much more durable than the ones on the BB series. It's tougher and though the port flaps can be a bit difficult to get in the ports, I'd much rather have them that tight than have them flapping around like they were on my Storm2 case. The silicone on my S2 case stretched at the top near the cutout for the earpiece and on the 4S case, I doubt that happens.

Love the belt clip and how the phone can be clipped either screen in or screen out.

I've not had a problem with my screen protector that's built in to the case. Fits great. Overall, I'm extremely pleased with OB and their 4S defender case. Now I wish they'd just get some different colrs like what are in the 4 line.

Reactions: furygoalbrtis39

corpswifekp

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I love my 4S Defender on my white iPhone 4. I feel so comfortable letting my kids play games on my phone and not worrying that they'll drop it or whatever. It fits perfectly fine and my screen protector is fine also. I have heard of people using a box cutter to remove their screen protector and just using an invisi-shield... maybe that would be your solution?? I will never switch.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I have the iPhone 4S and the OtterBox Defender case (Glacier) - I love it!! The screen protector is perfect and I think the silicone outer shell is great!!

I'm currently enrolled in a Master's program. One of the women in my class has the iPhone 4 with the old OtterBox Defender. I looked at her's in class last week and was surprised how flimsy it was, compared to mine.

To the OP: Before deciding on my Defender case, I originally ordered a Commuter. When it showed up, the 2 pieces of the case weren't cut properly (the grooves in the silicone where the hard plastic was suppose to "clip in" didn't line up). I think you may have gotten a defective case like me. Maybe give it another try?

cyberpaw

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I know a lot of people seem to like the Defender case, but I don't hear a lot said about the belt holster/clip.

Do any of you that have the Defender case and use the holster/clip think that it is flimsy or that the phone could fall out if hit from the side? Aslo, can you buy repalcement ones?

I really like the looks of the Defender case, but my life/job style requires that I use a belt clip.

anon(4144202)

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I know a lot of people seem to like the Defender case, but I don't hear a lot said about the belt holster/clip.

Do any of you that have the Defender case and use the holster/clip think that it is flimsy or that the phone could fall out if hit from the side? Aslo, can you buy repalcement ones?

I really like the looks of the Defender case, but my life/job style requires that I use a belt clip.

Every now and then I'll use the defender case. When I do I always use the holster and I've never had a problem with it so far.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

I've never truly used the holster. I did throw the phone into it when I first got the case just to try it out. It appears to be rather well made (it doubles as a stand for your iPhone if you want to watch a movie/video). I have heard past complaints about them breaking. They redesigned the Defender case for the iPhone 4S (thicker/heavy duty silicone and larger camera cutout), but I'm not sure if the holster was redesigned or not.

roll-tide

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
The holster is identical to the one for the 4...it holds the phone secure, but it depends on where exactly you wear the holster as to how secure it may feel for you. I use mine in my pocket (holster clipped onto my right pocket), but it's really more suited to being clipped onto your belt. I can't do that myself cuz I'm a bigger guy with a gut in the way, so it flops around hanging on my pocket. For protection at work where I really need it, the ballistic hc is where it's at (more protective and better holster for me)...but for off time when not as much protection is needed I prefer the defender.

jakeless.123

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I love the defender case for my 4S! Not a big fan of the large cutouts but the amount of protection I receive is worth it in the long run. I don't have problems with the built in screen protector and I use my clip only sometimes and when I do I have no problems with it.

Sent from my iPhone communication device using Tapatalk

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
The holster is identical to the one for the 4...it holds the phone secure, but it depends on where exactly you wear the holster as to how secure it may feel for you. I use mine in my pocket (holster clipped onto my right pocket), but it's really more suited to being clipped onto your belt. I can't do that myself cuz I'm a bigger guy with a gut in the way, so it flops around hanging on my pocket. For protection at work where I really need it, the ballistic hc is where it's at (more protective and better holster for me)...but for off time when not as much protection is needed I prefer the defender.

Do you find the Ballistic HC hard to type on? I like the HC but I have gone back to my Defender because the HC is hard to type on for me.

roll-tide

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Not really but i type on it vertical most of the time so it's not an issue. Now if I flip it horizontal then yeah it's not as good.

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Not really but i type on it vertical most of the time so it's not an issue. Now if I flip it horizontal then yeah it's not as good.

Ahhh! Maybe that's it. i usually type in landscape.

BTW.. WAR EAGLE!!!!:D:D:D Hope you guys don't beat us too bad next weekend. I am afraid it may get Uuuuuugly!:(:(

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I have the glacier case for my 4S and love it .... The only mod I'm making is I'm installing Steinheil screen protectors on both sides and removing the standard ken that comes built into the case, just takes away from the gorgeous retina display IMO

Otherwise it's working great even the screen protector in it now is nice tight and secure

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

I ride horses a lot and keep my phone on me. The clip has gotten jostled a lot with me riding and it's never made my phone come out of the holster. :)

dasupaman23

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
If you are having issues with it I recommend email their customer service. The support is awesome. The screen became loose on mine and eventually came off. They got me a replacement (BNIB) that seems to fit my white 4s just fine. I noticed on the package is says "universal" iphone 4. Maybe its the newer version because I don't remember that on my original packaging