Screen protector or not?

apallatto#IM

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
I currently have a screen protector on my iPhone 4 but I am considering getting rid of it. It always seems dirty, I always manage to get a bubble under it, and I am constantly trying to keep it clean. I was just wondering how durable is the screen without a protector? And how many of you do or don't use one?

dlopes90

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
i have had my iphone 4 since June and never ever ever had a screen protector on it and i still have yet to get single scratch on it. I do have a case that bevels above the face of the phone so if it does land flat on the face it wont impact the screen. Also when i put the phone in my pocket, it is the ONLY thing that is in my pocket so i dont have to worry about keys or loose change scratching the screen. I do recommend getting a screen protector if you are a lady and you are going to have the iphone in your purse, but other than that you should be fine

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I did a quick search on screen protectors just before moving this thread to the accessories forum, and found a lot of people have already answered the question.

Search is your friend.

JNM

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Very few screen protectors look good once install. Almost all of them diminish the clarity of the screen to some extent. I don't buy these nice touchscreen gadgets to keep them nice for someone else to use months or years later, I buy them for MYSELF, and I intend to have the nicest view of them I can have. That means no cheap plastic covering the display.

jeffw78

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I agree about no protector. I've tried them and hate them. Now my defender has one built in, but when using it I want that level of protection.

Oh, and people who state " search is your friend" annoy the piss out of me. The time it takes to state that could actually be used to contribute somehow.

I'm just sayin...

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I agree if all they say is "search is your friend." But we do get tired of 1,000 people posting the same things in 1,000 threads. Makes it difficult for the people who do use search.

Just sayin.

takeshi

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I was just wondering how durable is the screen without a protector? And how many of you do or don't use one?
It doesn't matter what device you're asking about -- to use or not use a screen protector is a call that you need to make for yourself. No screen out there is unscratchable not matter how many people have or haven't scratched their screens.

Polling isn't going to get you a suitable answer for you. It's just going to get you whatever the popular answer is. However, if you just want to fit in then polling is the way to go.

It always seems dirty, I always manage to get a bubble under it, and I am constantly trying to keep it clean.
Proper installation technique takes practice. And there are oleophobic screen protectors out there.

Also when i put the phone in my pocket, it is the ONLY thing that is in my pocket so i dont have to worry about keys or loose change scratching the screen.
Keys are not harder than glass and will not scratch it. Sand, however, will (as well as any other material that is harder than glass) and it easily ends up in pockets.

Very few screen protectors look good once install. Almost all of them diminish the clarity of the screen to some extent.
Depends on the screen protector as well as the install. Not all are equal despite your assertion. It sounds to me like you're drawing broad conclusions from limited experiences with poor quality screen protectors and installs. I've never had problems with SGP's and Power Support's screen protectors as far as "diminished clarity" is concerned.

Oh, and people who state " search is your friend" annoy the piss out of me. The time it takes to state that could actually be used to contribute somehow.

I'm just sayin...
People who can't be bothered to seach annoy the piss out of me. The time it takes to post a question and wait for responses could actually be used to find tons of answers and resources rather than clutter the forums with questions that have been asked countless times before.

Read the FAQ's, read the stickies, search then post. It's proper forum etiquette for any site. If you can't be bothered to take the initiative and fish for yourself (a must have skill these days and Google isn't difficult to use by any means) then why should anyone else be bothered? If you need assistance in searching then ask for it.

I'm just sayin....

Last edited:
Reactions: Alli

jeffw78

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Obviously my comment has ruffled some feathers. I did not mean to sound as disrespectful as it appears. I'll admit that I have posted prematurely and I often ignore posts that seem repetitive. I just don't understand the whole "forum etiquette" thing. It's not like the OP butted into a conversation between two people. I would rather just respectfully disagree and leave it at that. I do want to apologize to Alli if I appeared to be lashing out.

Andy357

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Screen Protector installation.

Don't know if it will help or not but: I noticed at Best Buy if you buy a ZAGG from them they offer to install it for 7 bucks. Took the offer on my wifes to see how they did it, using the squeegee on a small section at a time. (Think dividing the screen into four squares) After seeing that, was able to put mine on at home with little difficulty. Any bubbles left disappeared after a day. Hope this helps.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Don't know if it will help or not but: I noticed at Best Buy if you buy a ZAGG from them they offer to install it for 7 bucks. Took the offer on my wifes to see how they did it, using the squeegee on a small section at a time. (Think dividing the screen into four squares) After seeing that, was able to put mine on at home with little difficulty. Any bubbles left disappeared after a day. Hope this helps.

I had Best Buy put mine on as well and they did a great job. No bubbles and it was perfectly centered. I can't imagine it could be done better. The thing is that I still feel like it really takes away from the screen. I am trying a Steinhall protector on my wife's iPhone tonight. We will see how that goes. I do love the protection that the Zagg provides though. I had one on my Droid and never had any issues.

markhunsaker

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
My friend has an iPhone 4 without a protector and he does have some really small scratches on it. They would drive me nuts. So I am still rocking an invisible shield.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Installed the SGP Steinheil Ultra Oleophobic on my wifes iPhone last night. At least at this point it seems great. It is very clear. I would not know it was there if I had not put it on. Obviously it doesn't feel the same as the naked glass, but it is not much different. The difference in her screen and mine with the ZAGG Invisible Shield is huge. I'm sure the IS provides more protection, but for me it is not worth sacrificing the beautiful screen. I am going to use the 2nd screen protector on my phone and return the ZAGG.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Hard call.

Gorilla glass is really hard. It is beautiful and feels good to the touch.

I have had four screen protectors, two professionally installed. Those that had no bubbles, eventually had "orange peel" effect. They are ugly and do not feel good.

A scratch might not happen and would not be forever. June comes and I get a new iPhone. So far, I have passed on three with no scratches. I have a whole drawer full of old cell phones that no one wants. I bet I can always give away an iPhone, even with a scratch.

I do not take a shower with my socks on.

ess.pee

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I use Brando screen protector for front and back, and it's amazingly clear, did try Zagg screen protector and gave up installing it on my iPhone. Other recommendation is Martin Field screen proctor.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711