Would you consider a bigger iPhone?

Tilman Mueller

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I just had a curious thought:

Since we have quite a number of people who both want and don't want a bigger screen, I wonder what the breakdown of people who want a bigger screen correlate to those who already own a larger tablet?

:tongue: I have a tablet - so that's probably the reason why I don't need a phablet "on the go" ;) ... there could be a coincidence!

akaneo2

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I think many people think they want a bigger screen but then when it comes to storage and being practical with your phone it really isn't necessary.

ght

May 29, 2012
Visit site
A bigger screen (~4.5") would be nice, but not unless they do away with navigation buttons at the top of screens. Such size would be fine with gesture-based navigation, however. Whatever size it is, it must be usable with one hand for me. I get really irritated with apps that place a nav button in the top right corner of the screen, even on my 5.

anon5664829

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I just had a curious thought:

Since we have quite a number of people who both want and don't want a bigger screen, I wonder what the breakdown of people who want a bigger screen correlate to those who already own a larger tablet?

If I didn't have a tablet to view large screen mobile content, I could see the appeal of a larger (phablet sized - 5.5" or so) phone to perform both roles.

Even then, too many trade-offs to a larger size that affects portability and one handed use to make me want one.
I have a Nexus 4 and an iPad 4, Trust me the 4.7" is still too small to try and use it as an iPad.

ARSkemp

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I was happy when they increased the screen size for the 5 but I wanted it proportionally larger, not just taller! I use the keyboard in portrait mode all the time (not just because of preference, some apps won't let you switch to landscape) and I personally would love for it to be a bit wider. I would go as far to say I could use a 4.7" screen daily, although I think a 4.5" screen would be the perfect size for me. Really depends physically how wide/tall it is and how close to the bezel they can get the screen.

Nodnerb

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Rumor: Apple Delaying iPhone 5s Launch to Increase Screen Size | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Rumors rumors....

Apple Delaying iPhone 5s Launch to Increase Screen Size

Angela Moscaritolo By Angela Moscaritolo
July 17, 2013 12:20pm EST
2 Comments

Google 1
Share 2
Tweet 10
Submit 0
Share 2
Pin It 0
Email Print

iPhone 5s rumor

Apple fans might have to wait even longer to get their hands on the iPhone 5s.

According to a Wednesday Bloomberg report, which cited a story from Taiwan's Commercial Times, Apple may push back the launch of its next-generation iPhone after the design was changed to feature a larger. 4.3-inch Retina display.

The Commercial Times' sources claim Cupertino was originally planning to release the iPhone 5s in September or October, but could now delay the phone's introduction until the end of the year.

We should, however, take this rumor with a grain of salt. As the Apple-focused blog MacRumors pointed out, the claim is unlikely to be true given that Apple almost unquestionably finalized the iPhone 5s design months ago.

The story also contradicts predictions this week from Jefferies analyst Peter Misek, who reported that Apple is gearing up to begin production on the iPhone 5s later this month with the goal of releasing it in late September or early October. According to Misek, the iPhone 5s will include "mostly incremental feature upgrades," just like the iPhone 4S had a similar design to the iPhone 4.

On the topic of screen size, Apple Chief Tim Cook recently acknowledged that some people want larger screens, but said many so-called phabets on the market sacrifice resolution, color quality, and other features for their massive displays.

"We would not ship a larger display iPhone while these trade-offs exist," Cook said. "My view continues to be that the iPhone 5 has the absolute best display in the industry."

For four years, the iPhone display remained at 3.5 inches, even as the 4.8-inch Galaxy S III and the 5-inch Galaxy Note hit the market. Last year, the iPhone 5 got slightly bigger at 4 inches, but compared to other devices like the 5-inch Galaxy S 4 and the 4.7-inch HTC One, the iPhone 5 is positively tiny.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
(bleep) like that rumor has been part & parcel to every iPhone release I've been a party to... it's a link-bait. And twaddle.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
(snipped)

We should, however, take this rumor with a grain of salt. As the Apple-focused blog MacRumors pointed out, the claim is unlikely to be true given that Apple almost unquestionably finalized the iPhone 5s design months ago.

...(snipped)

The above statement should be more than sufficient, in my opinion.

pizzafootbal

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
A bigger phone? Heck yeah. Something the size of the Note 2? Maybe not. I like the 16:9 ratio that we have now, but I would like a 5 inch screen.

Songbirdy

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
I am pretty small so it wouldn't really matter but I would consider it. And I am also considering GS4. It looks like a really nice phone. With all the features. But I am really excited for iOS 7. So I won't make any rash decisions though :p

Summer Time Lovin <3

leathernuts#WP

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
I just switched last week from my iPhone 5 to galaxy s4. Yes the bigger screen was nice. The phone was a nice device as well, would not bash it for nothing. However, after a week on android, I realized how nice iOs is, so needless to say, I returned it. As one poster said, the physical size really impacted the use of the device. The iPhone is so much easier and quicker to use. It fits my hand very well with little need for shifting around. I was constantly shifting or using another hand with the galaxy. With that said, I would still like to see a slightly larger screen up to 4.7" without sacrificing the physical usability of the iPhone. It could be slightly bigger without affecting that I believe.

dannejanne

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Well. After being a owner of a Samsung Note 2 that's 5.5", I can definitely say I won't buy a phone that big again. Coming down to 4" was nice as it can easily be used with one hand only and I hardly feel it in the pocket. The Note 2 was not an ergonomic beast and my hands had to do the olympics every day.

I do miss the size of the screen at times. Mostly when surfing. But it's a tradeoff I will happily make. 4" - 4,2" really is the sweetspot for me I have noticed when it comes to comfortable usage.

leathernuts#WP

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Didn't realize poster right above me is thinking off the s4. Like I said, nice device, but after three days I was missing the iPhone. The flow was just smoother. Apps are still more polished although I was impressed that almost all my iPhone apps were available on the google play store. All the air movements were impressive at first until shadows started moving pages for me while moving amongst other things, so I turned all that off. To be honest, its just a novelty, and wasn't practical IMO for real world use. Again very nice device, and neither device does something that other cannot in terms of features that are truly practical. I guess the changed cured my boredom, but soon realized how although it seems apple is behind android to some as far as features, apple does what it does right. The only reason I would recommend changing to that device is if you absolutely need a larger screen, and do not like the iOS anymore e and want change.

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Do you want a bigger iphone? I mean an iphone as big as the samsung note 2. :)

To the topic...yes, I'd CONSIDER any Apple product. But I actually prefer the 3.5" screen of my iPhone 4S.

John Gruber has a good post on Daring Fireball, where he makes the convincing case of the 4 and 4S being discontinued. I hope they have another 3.5" or 3.7" iPhone, for those of us who believe bigger is chasing the specs war.

But I'd never want something as large as the Note. I'd look like a tool holding that to my head.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums app

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Not if there is any other option. That is why I have a MacBook Pro and an iPad... The 4" screen is perfect for my needs...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vber