Why won't Apple let me preorder an iPhone 6????

Ted G

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I've tried numerous times...

But -- the ONLY way they'll sell it -- is if I take an upgrade price from Verizon...

IF I do that -- I'll lose my unlimited data -- which at an avg 72 Gb/month wouldn't be worth it...

So -- will I be able to purchase one in their stores on the 19th?

Or do I need to preorder with Verizon and wait until October?

Or -- what are my other options?

Thanks

Ted G

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Yes -- and when I went to "chat" on Apple -- they told me that they do not sell unsubsidized phones...

But -- my iPhone 5 was unsubsidized -- and I bought it through Apple...

austriak

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I've tried numerous times...

But -- the ONLY way they'll sell it -- is if I take an upgrade price from Verizon...

IF I do that -- I'll lose my unlimited data -- which at an avg 72 Gb/month wouldn't be worth it...

So -- will I be able to purchase one in their stores on the 19th?

Or do I need to preorder with Verizon and wait until October?

Or -- what are my other options?

Thanks

Out of curiosity, how are you using 72gb of data?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ted G

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
This month, I'm already at 103 Gb with a week to go...

We own a small trucking company and I drive one of the trucks myself (from Atlanta to Seattle and back) -- I'm only home around 5 days a month...

My hotspot internet is way better than the free stuff out here -- and I don't like to pay for wifi when I have a hotspot...

I also enjoy netflix, hulu and daily podcasts with my apple tv that I travel with...

But -- I already just ordered the silver 6, 128gb through verizon -- so I guess the point of this thread is null -- unless others are experiencing the same issue...

Thanks for your help...

raorth

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
I was unable to buy a unsubsidized iphone 6 on the Apple.com site. Had to order directly through ATT. Only options on the Apple site was a 2 year contract or the Next program. Probably could buy an unsubsidized one in the store on Friday, but thinking stock is going to be very limited.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
This month, I'm already at 103 Gb with a week to go...

We own a small trucking company and I drive one of the trucks myself (from Atlanta to Seattle and back) -- I'm only home around 5 days a month...

My hotspot internet is way better than the free stuff out here -- and I don't like to pay for wifi when I have a hotspot...

I also enjoy netflix, hulu and daily podcasts with my apple tv that I travel with...

But -- I already just ordered the silver 6, 128gb through verizon -- so I guess the point of this thread is null -- unless others are experiencing the same issue...

Thanks for your help...

Did u pay full retail and retain your unlimited plan?

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk

alex.shimp

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
From personal experience Apple does not sell the "factory unlocked" phones until right around Black Friday. From what people are saying even the contract free t-mobile device that is/was available for pre-order is still locked to T-Mobile

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
^^^ This is true.

The thing is, if you buy an iPhone 6/6+ at full retail pricing, you are not extending your contract out and even if it is ordered locked to whichever carrier you buy it for, you can request it to be unlocked afterwards. This is what I did with my iPhone 5S last year since I got it on release day and there were no factory unlocked units available yet.

People get really stuck on terminology, and they fail to realize that if you don't get a subsidized discount, the device you bought is essentially unsubsidized, the only difference is you may have to call your carrier to have them officially unlock it.

RollTideFanGrl

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Yes -- and when I went to "chat" on Apple -- they told me that they do not sell unsubsidized phones...

But -- my iPhone 5 was unsubsidized -- and I bought it through Apple...

I called Apple numerous of times and they told me the same thing. Apple stated they are only doing preorders for subsidized phone..

I decided to go and order through my carrier.

Sent from iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

rnd0209

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
Impre ordered an iphone 6 and a 6 plus on the 12th through Apple.com. Both phones were Unsubsidized verizon. I put my cell number in and then password etc the system picked it up as that I had no upgrade due until next year and the price was shown as the "full price" I paid and they gave me my shipping date. Simple as that. I do see a $30 upgrade fee changed but I doubt I will be changed that because I'm not actually upgrading. I'll call verizon on the 19th to be sure.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Apple seems to give preference to contract sales.

This actually makes some sense -- (1) keep on the carriers' good sides so that subsidies continue, (2) make those marginal sales when possible and the people paying outright will still be there.

I cracked and decided to buy the 6 after all. They were ready for reservation at various Toronto-area Apple Stores. (16 and 128; 64 sold out.)

But the reservation site would only say I could do it if I agreed to a two-year contract.

Actually, I can think of a (3) -- in order to discourage resellers, who get the unlocked units and immediately ship them overseas.

This all makes sense but is darned annoying.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I think Apple only allows preorders for contracts or installments for the carriers they have that set-up for. I'm not 100% certain But I think it's been like that for preorders.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burningroad