Why is the iPhone 6 Restore from Backup taking FOREVER?

iwebkat

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
iPhone 6 Restore from Backup taking FOREVER

I purchased the new iPhone 6. Previous to moving content over I upgraded to iOS 8 and backed up in iCloud on my iPhone 5s. I received my iPhone on Friday, 9/19, and over 12 days later I am still getting the message "Restoring from iCloud Backup" on my home screen. I have done the following. 1) Turned off Find my iPhone, 2) Opened Numbers, Pages and Keynote to let the documents load, 3) Opened each app with a blue dot to see what is needed, 4) Opened each app with a badge number to make sure there isn't anything I need, 5) Deleted any apps with the blueprint overlay (which I don't need), 6) Restarted my iPhone. Still having the same message.

I don't want to restore from my backup made 12 days ago from iCloud. However, I'm afraid of stopping the restore process. With that said, I'm wondering if I should go ahead and stop the restore. My photos should be safe in iCloud, correct? If the photos aren't entirely downloaded, those should continue, correct? I have iTunes Match, so I should be able to download my music, correct? My documents should be in iCloud, correct? What else could possibly be downloading that would take almost 2 weeks? :-(

Please let me know if I'm overlooking something here. Is there something else I might lose if I stop the backup and "delete the apps". (I wish there was a way to pick and choose the apps to delete. Not knowing which apps and data will be deleted is the scary part!)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: iPhone 6 Restore from Backup taking FOREVER

It shouldn't take 12 days. It should work well and relatively fast if you are on Wi-Fi. If you are going in and out of Wi-Fi, the process will be prolonged. If you stop the process, it will pick up where it left off and possibly proceed at a faster pace, if connected via Wi-Fi.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

Hi I'm not clear on one thing. When you connect your iPhone to iTunes and hit Restore from Backup, are you saying that it's taking two weeks for the process? That doesn't seem right.
What happens when you connect to iTunes and hit restore from backup? Do you get a dialog box on your laptop asking which backup to use?

iwebkat

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site

That's what I thought. I have super fast wifi at home. I am always connected at home. At work we have wifi, but it isn't as fast. I am in wifi about 95% of the time. :-(

iwebkat

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site

qgnkelt - I am backing up from iCloud, not from iTunes. I migrated to iCloud several years ago.

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site

I found the initial restore was a lot faster and more reliable on iTunes. I don't know if the cloud servers are being slammed or what...I just did a quick backup to my computer of my 5S and restored in iTunes the first time. What was going to take several hours only took 5 minutes.

After that iCloud was back to its normal performance and the one time backup to local storage didn't affect iCloud at all.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

qgnkelt - I am backing up from iCloud, not from iTunes. I migrated to iCloud several years ago.

Ah....OK....you know you can backup to iTunes and the backup will be to your computer, locally? It will take less time that way.

iwebkat

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site

qgnkelt - Yes, I know I can do it that way, but I my last backup was 12 days ago from the cloud. If I back up from my iPhone now it will have just what I've downloaded now. If I backup from my old iPhone 5s it is 12 days old. See my dilemma?

iwebkat

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site

I found the initial restore was a lot faster and more reliable on iTunes. I don't know if the cloud servers are being slammed or what...I just did a quick backup to my computer of my 5S and restored in iTunes the first time. What was going to take several hours only took 5 minutes.

After that iCloud was back to its normal performance and the one time backup to local storage didn't affect iCloud at all.

Well, that would have been nice to know 12 days ago. :D

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

Just go into settings - iCloud - backup and stop the backup. It's not going to ruin your backup or the OS.

Once you do that, do a manual iCloud backup.

I've had a situation like that once or twice with previous phones restoring from iCloud. Nothing is really "stuck." You'll be fine.

iwebkat

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site

Just go into settings - iCloud - backup and stop the backup. It's not going to ruin your backup or the OS.

Once you do that, do a manual iCloud backup.

I've had a situation like that once or twice with previous phones restoring from iCloud. Nothing is really "stuck." You'll be fine.

Well, that's the thing...it's not backing up. It is restoring from the backup. Oh well...I may stop the restore anyway. I've been waiting so long for it to finish. :-/

eprisencc

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site

If the restore gets disconnected from wifi it's likely that it will never resume and you have to start over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iwebkat

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site

I meant stop the restore. Sorry.

That's precisely what I did at 2am this morning. It gave me another message giving me the option to continue restoring or delete the apps and data of what wasn't restored. I went ahead and stopped the restore. I was immediately prompted to upgrade to 8.0.2, so we shall see what happens now.

Thanks guys!

sau124

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site

Just disconnect iCloud backup and reset the phone and start over. Remember, if you have tons of pictures or you are connected to the computer while restore - it might hang up and cause issues.

jcparker2

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site

I had the same problem with my 4S. I solved it by backing my 4s up via iTunes on my MacBook, then just plugged in the 6 and let it sync. During the sync the laptop added files that the original restore missed. Then I did a cold restart, the endless restore message was gone and I was able to upgrade the OS.

FineWhine

Apr 26, 2015
Visit site
I just experienced the same problem with my new iPhone 6. My previous iPhone took a dive in some water, so too late to sync it to my desktop iTunes. All of my apps restored fine, but I discovered the hangup was restoring my photos. Tried cold starting the phone a few times, and that didn't help. Then I read on another blog to turn wifi off, then on again. I turned off wifi and also turned off cellular .. I still had bars and had to put the phone in airplane mode, which of course got rid of all connections. Then took the phone off of airplane mode and hooked back up to wifi. Ta da! The rest of my photos downloaded in about 10 minutes. Hope this helps somebody - Apple really should improve the icloud restore function!

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrytg4