Text tones not sounding

pantlesspenguin

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys! I'm writing on behalf of my mom. A few days ago her text tone stopped sounding. I had her try rebooting, changing her text tone to something else, making sure the phone wasn't muted and the volume was up, and finally doing a settings reset. All of her other alert tones work. Does anyone have any ideas what else she could try or will she need to do a factory reset?

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Hey you! Did you check the Text Tone setting? Go to Settings, Sounds & Haptics, Text Tone, try changing it to something else then back. Next would be a factory reset, as you are thinking.

pantlesspenguin

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Hey you! Did you check the Text Tone setting? Go to Settings, Sounds & Haptics, Text Tone, try changing it to something else then back. Next would be a factory reset, as you are thinking.

Howdy! Yes I had her try that. Also just for funsies I had her go into my contact and set a different text alert just for me to see if that would sound and it didn't. So weird.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Could she by any chance have her Do Not Disturb toggled on? I was reading in another thread here on iMore that this was the issue for several folks and they didn't even realize it!