Switching iPhones

Judson50

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I hope this is a simple question:

My wife has an iPhone 4 and it is sync with iCloud.

I just bought my wife and iPhone 5.

Therefore when I first fire up her iPhone 5, do I just add her username and password for iCloud and then the old phone will be deactivated and the new phone will be the active phone?

For the sake of context my wife has an AT&T iPhone 4 and I just bought an iPhone 5 off the AT&T website.

Thank you all in advance

vn906c

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Yes, when the phone arrives, just activate it and the old one will automatically be deactivated. If your planning on selling the iphone 4 I suggest factory resetting it. Even though its not on AT&T's network, it will still have all her info on it.

vn906c

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Thanks. Both are AT&T phones and I will be selling the 4 to Gazelle. Should I take the sim out of the 4?

I would just to be safe. Another thing, I wouldn't factory reset the iphone 4 until you have everything on the 5 squared away and set up correctly. You never know if you might need another back up or info from the 4.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I would go make sure your in wifi go to settings then iCloud and at the bottom press the menu for storage and backup make a fresh iCloud backup .. Then turn on the 5 go thru the setup screen and select restore from iCloud backup and enter the email and password and select the backup you just created
Once the 5 is setup and all your info from the 4 is there
just factory reset the 4 and remove the sim before sending it off

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

gvndeb60

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
140 perfect 135 good condition.

Not horrible. Was just curious, why not sell on here? Not trying to be in your business, have always been curious why people choose those sites instead if selling on their own. Thanks!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Judson50

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Not horrible. Was just curious, why not sell on here? Not trying to be in your business, have always been curious why people choose those sites instead if selling on their own. Thanks!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Familiarity and a guarantee of payment.

Shawn Magm

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. Both are AT&T phones and I will be selling the 4 to Gazelle. Should I take the sim out of the 4?

I had an iPhone 3G, in reasonably good condition. I sold it when I switched to a Galaxy S3 just this last January. Samsung offered $25 as well as Gazelle. I looked up what the going rate on eBay was for a factory unlocked, jailbroken 3G was and eBay said the average was about $90. I decided to sell it on my own and placed an ad on Craigslist for $100 as well as listing it on eBay. I did get someone who wanted to buy it from my Craigslist ad, but I had already gotten a bid on eBay. Believe it or not, the winning bid was $190.

If I were you, I'd get AT&T to factory unlock the phone. It'll be worth more. Try selling it on eBay vs selling it on Gazelle. I took my SIM out. I'm not sure if there is any contact info on the SIM. Perhaps someone can chime in.

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Well the sim has your phone number, and sometimes the address book, it was registered to your account, and it will be useless to be activated again anyway, so yes, just take it out.

Justin55372011

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I had an iPhone 3G, in reasonably good condition. I sold it when I switched to a Galaxy S3 just this last January. Samsung offered $25 as well as Gazelle. I looked up what the going rate on eBay was for a factory unlocked, jailbroken 3G was and eBay said the average was about $90. I decided to sell it on my own and placed an ad on Craigslist for $100 as well as listing it on eBay. I did get someone who wanted to buy it from my Craigslist ad, but I had already gotten a bid on eBay. Believe it or not, the winning bid was $190.

If I were you, I'd get AT&T to factory unlock the phone. It'll be worth more. Try selling it on eBay vs selling it on Gazelle. I took my SIM out. I'm not sure if there is any contact info on the SIM. Perhaps someone can chime in.

Good tip. Do cell phone providers usually charge to unlock phones?

Shawn Magm

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
No, there was no charge for it. I learned that AT&T will unlock after 90 days of being on contract for phones, although there are some exceptions. Nokia Lumia 920 may have required 180 days or 6 months.