Storage capacity

patcom8

Jun 5, 2008
Visit site
I feel like this is really up for debate at this point. What is goign to the size of the new iphone. are we looking at 32gig or are we goign to staying at the 8 and the 16. I really like to see a 32 being rolled out for the phone, because i know that i could use more space, with my music and movies, pictures. what do you guys think?

inertialnav

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I've had some discussion with folks about this earlier. IF the size of the apps available for iPhone 2.0 are small (and most seem to think they are) then it won't matter much. I've got a 8GB phone and still have 2GB free with plenty of music and podcasts loaded on board.

I've also got a 5th Gen 80GB iPod which holds ALL of my music and podcasts, so it's simply a matter of keeping a smaller variety of music on the phone.

Then again I rarely us my phone to listen to music and the software is the thing, so bigger may not be better for everyone.

IrishJK09

May 30, 2008
Visit site
I don't recall the exact numbers, but I think I had only used about 4gb of the 8 available in my old iPhone. I had 2 full length, iPhone formatted movies; about 400 pictures, maybe 100 songs, and about 10 video podcasts. I would regularly swap the podcasts out for new ones, as well as the movies, so I never had more than that. As far as music is concerned, my 100 songs only took up about 400mb, so even if I added several hundred more, it wouldn't have become problematic.

Now, I am fairly experienced in the smartphone world, and I have never seen more than a small handful of apps that have an install footprint larger than a few megabytes. That said, I think you will be hard pressed to really fill up the space unless you go app crazy. Games may take up a bit more space, but if a full PSP (some, not all) game takes up 500mb on an SD card, I can't see iPhone games being much larger.

If you are a music and movie nut, and insist on having a several thousand song library at all times, along with 4-5 full movies, it may be a different story... I just don't use that much space. For an example, I had a 40gb hard drive in my computer until I upgraded to my iMac in 2006, and I never even filled that. Now in my iMac, I have a 250gb hard drive with around 230ish available from the word go, and I still have 200 free gb...

Anyway, my guess is that they release a 16gb and a 32gb version. I will personally go for the 16 because of what I said above.

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
I might get the 32GB but for cost sake, the 16GB would be more budget friendly. But the 16 might serve well too, couple of videos, a bunch of music, some podcasts, some apps.

hermdog

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
I'd like to see a 64g model. I like to have all my music with me. But if that is not an option it would be nice if the new iPhone had a SD slot.

Hermdog

burnsaa

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
I just don't use that much space. For an example, I had a 40gb hard drive in my computer until I upgraded to my iMac in 2006, and I never even filled that. Now in my iMac, I have a 250gb hard drive with around 230ish available from the word go, and I still have 200 free gb...

I guess not everyone is the same I've got over 1 TB of programs, movies, music, photos, games, and documents and would love to have as much space as possible because you never know what's going to happen. For example when I travel I would like to take some movies along with me for the flight or for the hotel room and music / podcasts to listen to while working out or driving and now with apps like spore who knows how big that's going to be.
Just saying the more space the better so 32gb would be nice but I bet if you wait till Christmas there will be a 64 gb.

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
I'd like to see a 64g model. I like to have all my music with me. But if that is not an option it would be nice if the new iPhone had a SD slot.

Hermdog
I highly doubt Apple would build an SD slot into the iphone. I think this will definitely take away from its aesthetics.

smileyboy

Aug 19, 2004
Visit site
For me at this point 32GB would be great. I have maxed out my 8GB several times, cuz of all the vidz music and apps. My wife however only has 2GB of music and vidz and has never come close to maxing out her 4GB iPhone.

To each their own I guess, but I say more is better.

Limozulu

May 31, 2008
Visit site
I feel like this is really up for debate at this point. What is goign to the size of the new iphone. are we looking at 32gig or are we goign to staying at the 8 and the 16. I really like to see a 32 being rolled out for the phone, because i know that i could use more space, with my music and movies, pictures. what do you guys think?
I dont care if the new ones will be 32 gb and I hope that instead of more memory, they will improve other parts like speakers or anything else, but I just think that the space it takes doesn't worth it.

carsly

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I could see one model with 16gb. The first time with the 4GB and 8GB the 4GB model got whacked pretty quickly though one could argue that 8GB is enough for many people. Okay, so maybe an 8GB 'lite' version (no GPS, no front-facing cam) for $200 less and a 16GB 'pro' model with all the goodies.

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
I could see one model with 16gb. The first time with the 4GB and 8GB the 4GB model got whacked pretty quickly though one could argue that 8GB is enough for many people. Okay, so maybe an 8GB 'lite' version (no GPS, no front-facing cam) for $200 less and a 16GB 'pro' model with all the goodies.
Pretty sure there will be 32 GB like the iPod Touch.

NPR_Aficionado

Mar 18, 2008
Visit site
I would hope they a least match the Touch current capacity, and if Apple could one up previous generations with 64GB better for them. I know it is very user dependent as far as how much is needed. I would like to "have all with" so anything over 50GB would be good for now, and give some room for growth. I think it would be a huge shock if they came out with any solid state storage for a mobile device over 100GB, but that wold be great.

Last edited:

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
I would hope they a least match the Touch current capacity, and if Apple could one up previous generations with 64GB better for them. I know it is very user dependent as far as how much is needed. I would like to "have all with" so anything over 50GB would be good for now, and give some room for growth. I think it would be a huge shock if they came out with any solid state storage for a mobile device over 100GB, but that wold be great.
I doubt it will be 100 GB. This is just going to be way too expensive.

IrishJK09

May 30, 2008
Visit site
Storage needs are always going to be dependent of user, that much is unchanging. Those wishing for a 32 gig, 64 gig, or higher, need to remember one crucial thing. Cost! What good is a 64 gig iPhone if it is $1,000? Memory is great, but when compared to other smartphones, the iPhone is already leaps and bounds ahead in this area. Try to keep in mind that we are still talking about a smartphone, as opposed to a dedicated media device.

I know people are concerned about apps, and how much space they will take up on the device. I can tell you from previous experience, apps generally aren't that huge. I used to have over 30 apps installed on my At&t Tilt, and that was a device with 128 MEGABYTES of onboard storage. I had everything from 3rd party media players, to new UI skins and utility tools, all the way down to games, and I still had roughly 40mb of free space. Oh, nothing was installed to my SD card either.

I agree that having more is a good thing, so long as it doesn't kill the cost. If you absolutely need to have your entire music library, a bunch of full length movies, as well as a ton of 3rd party apps; a dedicated media device may suit you better. For a smartphone though, there is nothing on the market that can touch the iPhone memory wise... yet.

Last edited:

WatersWest

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
I want 160 GB!! Nothing short of that will do! . . . just kidding. The sum total of my entire music library is 10.63 GB. That is made up of 129 albums, 2,495 individual songs lasting approximately 6.5 DAYS! Is there some reason that 16 GB isn't enough on a phone. As CrazEtooN noted, if you need more than 16, or even 32 GB at most, maybe you should consider a dedicated media device.