Recording conversations

aapierre

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking into starting an amateur podcast and wondered what people might suggest i use for the recording software.

i have microphones and now just need to be able to record the chat.

I have a 2017 Macbook Air

Thanks in advance

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Yep, if you're in different locations, Skype/Call Recorder work great. You get the best results by both of you having Call Recorder, but it's not necessary. The sound will be limited by the compression from Skype if only one of you records so it will be fairly obvious one of you is on Skype. Call Recorder has a function to split the audio, so you would each have an audio track, which you can then use an editor of your choice to put them together. It will sound like you're in the same room.

If you're already in the same location, an app like Audacity would work in that case.

For editing, either Audacity or a paid app like Reaper or Hindenburg work well.

aapierre

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the help above
I have 3 microphones and most of the time will only use two

Audacity gives advice on how to aggregate the two mics

would a usb hub work for all three so that audcaity was fooled into thinking there was only 1 mic ?

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Not really sure, you can try a hub but I think it's more in how the system handles all those inputs. It will still know what is being plugged in and probably ignore it.

What kind of mics are they? Do you have them in-hand or still planning to purchase?

If possible, get an XLR/USB mic like the ATR2100 and either a mixer or audio interface (these can be USB). This will consolidate the audio tracks to send to the computer. If your budget allows, try to find an interface that will still relay all inputs/channels separately which will make editing easier.

From everything I've read, multiple USB mics is tricky, even for 2, so I think you're in for a world of frustration going to 3.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
takectrl