Questions about going to multiple iCloud IDs for Family

johnc847

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
My wife and I have an iPhone and we also have an iPad that stays at the house everyone uses including our kids. I've always had my Apple ID logged in to the store part so we can share all paid apps and music. The iPad also has my id logged in under iCloud so it's using the iCloud ID that is associated with my store ID, which is the same as my gmail account. If I want to change that one to the family one like the guide on iMore talks about, would I do the following steps or am I missing something? Say for this my gmail is abc@gmail.com and it also gave me a abc@me.com and a abc@icloud.com.

Existing iCloud/iTunes account:
Login to manage my apple ID and change the "Apple ID and Primary Email Address" from abc@gmail.com to the alternate of abc@icloud.com? Do I have to use abc@icloud.com or can I create a new icloud email called abcfamily@icloud.com and set that as my "Apple ID and Primary Email Address"?

Create New iCloud IDs:
I created a new iCloud Email address/account for me and my wife. We would each sign in to our own under iCloud to have seperate storage and to have find my friends work.
We would each continue to setup our gmail accounts as exchange.

By doing this, and going on the phone and changing the store login to abc@icloud.com or abcfamily@icloud.com, would that still have all my purchases moved from the abc@gmail.com to the abcfamily@icoud.com?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
This "was" my setup:

Me, my daughter and my teen son all have I-devices. I setup each device with a separate Apple ID except for the iTunes and App Store. We shared a Specific Apple ID for purchases. By doing so, each person was able to enjoy their privacy*, but I controlled what was purchased. So to answer your question, you can simply logout of the one device and then create a new iCloud account using that particular device. You can keep the Apple ID you currently use for purchases, if you choose to do so.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
It's too bad that apple doesn't allow you to change your AppStore ID or allow it to be merged with you @icloud.com account.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Just create a new apple id for family use that for everything except the store part and you will be fine

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Your apple id can't be a iCloud or me address it has to be a third part email like gmail yahoo aol etc.

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
It's too bad that apple doesn't allow you to change your AppStore ID or allow it to be merged with you @icloud.com account.

It does allow you to change the ID (just change the email address associated with it)... but you are correct - you cannot merge accounts...