Pro vs. Pro Max - Cameras

SaMaster14

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
I will likely be upgrading to the 15 pro from my 14 pro and was wondering what people thought of the camera differences.

I would rather keep the smaller form factor and stick with the 15 pro, but I also use my phones camera … a lot.

I don’t really need the 5x zoom, but I was intrigued by the new macro photo mode. I’m wondering if the added zoom and sensors on the Max will make a huge difference there. If it’s really just 3x (77mm) vs 5x (120mm) zoom, then I’ll likely stick with the 6.1” Pro.

Thanks!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone's camera has never really been a selling factor or even a deciding factor for me. With that being said, I'm sure Apple knows that users rarely mess with the camera's settings and thus will store a bunch of large sized photos on their iPhone, run out of on-device storage space and then end up paying for additional icloud storage. ;)

Anyway, I'm sure the camera on the upcoming iPhone 15 models are excellent, but so is the camera or the current and previous models.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Apple should of had the same cameras on both pro models. This is wrong of them to make them different.

There isn’t space enough in the pro for the new 5x telephoto camera.

Even android doesn’t have a 6.1 inch phone with a periscope lens.

Last edited:
Reactions: nikkisharif

SaMaster14

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
There isn’t space enough in the pro for the new 5x telephoto camera.

Even android doesn’t have a 6.1 inch phone with a periscope lens.

Ya, I assumed that was the case and it makes sense with current tech.

I’m just wondering if the only real difference is 3x vs 5x zoom (and I rarely am looking for more than 3x zoom as it is). If I really want to zoom, I get out my D7500…

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Ya, I assumed that was the case and it makes sense with current tech.

I’m just wondering if the only real difference is 3x vs 5x zoom (and I rarely am looking for more than 3x zoom as it is). If I really want to zoom, I get out my D7500…

Technically the 5x is pretty impressive… iPhone 15 Pro Max has a 5x "tetraprism" camera. It bounces light around with mirrors 4 times onto a 3D-stabilised sensor, so it is essentially a periscope camera.

All while retaining a f/2.8 aperture, the largest of any telephoto/periscope at 5x magnification and beyond.

Its a very clever approach. In the future they can increase the sensor size and not be limited by the thickness of the phone. While having the most advanced OlS on any telephoto camera.

Personally I don’t think I’m going to be reaching for my Leica anytime soon. Pretty excited for spacial video, though.

SaMaster14

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Technically the 5x is pretty impressive… iPhone 15 Pro Max has a 5x "tetraprism" camera. It bounces light around with mirrors 4 times onto a 3D-stabilised sensor, so it is essentially a periscope camera.

All while retaining a f/2.8 aperture, the largest of any telephoto/periscope at 5x magnification and beyond.

Its a very clever approach. In the future they can increase the sensor size and not be limited by the thickness of the phone. While having the most advanced OlS on any telephoto camera.

Personally I don’t think I’m going to be reaching for my Leica anytime soon. Pretty excited for spacial video, though.

No doubt the 5x zoom is super impressive! I’m mainly looking for improvements in low light/night mode, macro, and regular photography from my phone.

Having that zoom might be nice on the fly though.

I guess it will come down to form factor and if I can live with the larger size!

Reactions: FFR

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
No doubt the 5x zoom is super impressive! I’m mainly looking for improvements in low light/night mode, macro, and regular photography from my phone.

Having that zoom might be nice on the fly though.

I guess it will come down to form factor and if I can live with the larger size!

You wouldn’t know unless you tried, larger display and bigger batteries couldn’t hurt either.

Reactions: SaMaster14

SaMaster14

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
You wouldn’t know unless you tried, larger display and bigger batteries couldn’t hurt either.

Planning on going to Apple or Verizon and playing with a current Max model. I’ve used friends’ phones before, but never jumped on the larger form factor bandwagon as I like using my phone with one hand and already know I’ll have trouble reaching the top and corners.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Planning on going to Apple or Verizon and playing with a current Max model. I’ve used friends’ phones before, but never jumped on the larger form factor bandwagon as I like using my phone with one hand and already know I’ll have trouble reaching the top and corners.

That’s a great idea. I’m extremely lazy so I use reachability quite often .

Best of luck.

Reactions: SaMaster14

SaMaster14

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
As an update, I did go ahead and order the regular 15 Pro during preorder last Friday. The larger form factor was still a deal breaker and cons of larger device outweighed the pros of the added zoom for me.

Reactions: Jude526 and FFR

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
As an update, I did go ahead and order the regular 15 Pro during preorder last Friday. The larger form factor was still a deal breaker and cons of larger device outweighed the pros of the added zoom for me.

Congrats on your preorder.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I used to always have the larger phones, but decided to try out the smaller footprint with the 13 pro to see if I would even like it. And it was great. I do prefer the smaller and although the 15 pro max has a larger zoom factor, still went with the 15 pro size. Still takes amazing photos for my liking.

Reactions: Just_Me_D

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
The 15 pro max has an amazing camera especially the macro. The 5x zoom is the same very nice when zoom is needed.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77