Opinion: Are Apps Dying?

macher

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
My DD is a Pixel and while that's immaterial to my question, it has some context regarding AI. I use Google Assistant daily; often for simple tasks .. calculations without opening the calculator, traffic,weather forecast when traveling, etc. This morning I used GA to make restaurant reservations via OpenTable for next week. I believe that Apple was a leader with Siri and while she's not what she used to be, I feel Apple will do whatever it takes to "right the ship".

People have been talking more about the demise of apps in favor for AI. The way I engage my device, I can see less and less apps in favor of AI commands at some point in the near future. IMO, hardware will always have it's place, but services are the future. So regardless of your ecosystem of choice, the assistant will be the primary point of engagement instead of apps.

I asked the same question on the AC side, but with Siri being such a relevant part of Apple I wanted to pose the question here as well. :)

Don't know if it works the same on Android but I use GA all the time on my iPhone via Chrome and it works EXCELLENT. I don't use Siri only if I have too like making a call or text. Wish I was able to do that with GA via iPhone though.

macher

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I don't see apps going away anytime soon. They're getting better and better. Siri may get more duties regarding services, but there's just a lot Siri won't be able to do. And many users don't even like to use Siri. I rarely do.

Same here like I said in another post I use GA A LOT via Chrome on my iPhone and I'll tell you for me it's EXCELLENT with a capitol E.

I probably should try and find an icon that is an Apple logo with Google colors in it lol because I LOVE iOS but LOVE Google services and technology over Apple. I'm an iOS fanboy but also a Google(not Android) fanboy. Want a bonafide Google iPhone with iOS. I don't need or want customization.

Derrick4Real

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
no. i barely use siri. But siri doesn't do everything apps do. But voice services don't erase the need for say, the espn app to watch espn, or the a podcast app to listen to podcasts.i think the novelty of apps has worn off.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77