Not able to take screenshots on iPhone 4!

arcurlyq

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
I went to take a screenshot using my iPhone 4 and....it won't! I called Apple's technical support and they are stumped. We restarted the phone, reset the settings, and...nothing. Still won't take screenshots.

Has anyone else had this issue? If so, how did it get resolved? I just did a warranty replacement on my iPhone 4 because the home button on my last phoen didn't work right (was told it was a common problem). I REALLY don't want to do another warranty replacement and would love to save a trip to the iPhone store.

Please help!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Start with the basic question...what method are you trying to take screen shots?

Are you jailbroken?

Do the home button and power/sleep button work on their own individually?

...honestly, if you've gone through all the basic steps to make sure that A.) You yourself are doing it properly, and B.) The buttons work fine outside of this functionality...then why wouldn't you want to do a warranty trade in? My ass would be in the Apple store tomorrow asking for another new phone, and i would continue doing so until the one i had worked properly.

arcurlyq

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Start with the basic question...what method are you trying to take screen shots?

I am using the correct method - hold down both the home button and on/off button simultaneously (and quickly). I've had many iPhones, and taken screenshots many times. The screen doesn't flash.

[/QUOTE]Are you jailbroken?[/QUOTE]

Nope.

[/QUOTE]Do the home button and power/sleep button work on their own individually?[/QUOTE]

Yes, both buttons work fine individually. No issues with the camera and the home button works perfectly (I had to recently do a warranty replacement because the home button on my original iphone 4 never worked right).

[/QUOTE]...honestly, if you've gone through all the basic steps to make sure that A.) You yourself are doing it properly, and B.) The buttons work fine outside of this functionality...then why wouldn't you want to do a warranty trade in? My ass would be in the Apple store tomorrow asking for another new phone, and i would continue doing so until the one i had worked properly.[/QUOTE]

The last time I did a warranty replacement (about a month ago) it took a week to get all my stuff working right on my Iphone again. Even when you sync the phone before replacing, it just doesn't all magically get set up properly. Passwords have to be recalled and re-entered. It was a pain in the butt. Also, I have an app installed on my phone for checking work email and if I do a warranty replacement, I have to get another confirmation code from my ISTS department at work, which will take a bit of effort. I can't do without that app at the moment, so I'm almost willing to live without the screenshot feature.

So annoying.

arcurlyq

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
I had this issue too, but all I did was do a restore and it went back to working. Not sure if that helps?

Yep, I think that's what I'm going to have to do. Just so worried about losing info on my phone and screwing things up. When I did the warranty replacement on my phone it took almost a week to get things back to how I like them. Argh. Guess a restore is my only option....

IphoneFiveTS

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I just had this problem, searched, and found this thread. Iphone 5 version 6.0.1

I also just fixed the issue by removing several apps. I'm not sure which one did it, but if you have one or more of the same apps, I'd give it a shot. My guess is it's something to do with a security "feature" in an app.

Priority Club (for ICH Hotels)
Hilton Hotels
Kayak
Fidelity Health
Fidelity Financial
Mint
Fandango
Jetpack Joyride
Ringtones 500,000
95.5 WPLJ (buggy piece of crap that just might have caused this)
Flashlight

My thought was to remove both latest apps and apps that have a "secure" login. So using that thought process, you might want to try the same thing.

If I get time, I'll go through and reinstall one by one to see if I can reproduce the problem. ........but don't hold your breath. Really busy.

smithaaa

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
Actually the original poster has a valid question. The screenshot function does not work as seemlessly as in previous versions of the iOS. If you hit both buttons at the exact same time, your device will go into sleep mode. In order for it to work like before, you must hit the power button a millisecond before the home button. As far as I know, we can using the gesture to work out this problem. To tap "home+power button". After checking the screenshot by turning to your "Photo" app.