Is this Iphone 6s Plus + Backplate Legitimate?

diesteldorf

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Hoping I can get some assistance from the forum.

I purchased my Iphone 6S Plus from Sprint online and also went to Apple.com and gave them the model and serial # of the device.

They verified it was legitimate.

In the past, the backs of Iphones would have lettering and or the number of the device at the bottom.

My phone is a 64 GB Rose Gold 6S Plus and is clean except for the Apple logo at the top of the phone.

I did some research and it looks like other models of the 6S/6S Plus are also clean at the bottom.

However, some photos on Ebay show backplates that have writing and lettering at the bottom

Does anyone also have a 6S or 6S Plus that has a clean looking backplate at the bottom, with no lettering or text?

Attachments

• back2.jpg
    back2.jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 65
Last edited by a moderator:

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
My 6s Plus and my wife's 6s both have the usual model number and device information that appears on the back of the device. Both were purchased direct from Apple. Do you live in the United States? I know that the labeling can change due to regulatory differences between countries.

diesteldorf

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I live in the USA and purchased direct from Sprint. I was able to activate and use it successfully on Tmobile, Sprint, and Verizon

firstborn80

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
Hoping I can get some assistance from the forum.

I purchased my Iphone 6S Plus from Sprint online and also went to Apple.com and gave them the model and serial # of the device.

They verified it was legitimate.

In the past, the backs of Iphones would have lettering and or the number of the device at the bottom.

My phone is a 64 GB Rose Gold 6S Plus and is clean except for the Apple logo at the top of the phone.

I did some research and it looks like other models of the 6S/6S Plus are also clean at the bottom.

However, some photos on Ebay show backplates that have writing and lettering at the bottom

Does anyone also have a 6S or 6S Plus that has a clean looking backplate at the bottom, with no lettering or text?

Mine has the info on the bottom. I've never seen or heard of this before. If Apple said it's legit, it is, but this seems weird.

Miska Hietala

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I read somewhere that in the past they had to put those numbers and information in to the surface of the phone. Now they are changing the law about it and are moving towards solution where the exact information can be found from the settings of the phone. Which iOS 9 already does. So I guess you have the newer model which doesn't have to display that information any more on the surface of the phone:)

Branta

Retired Network Moderator
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I read somewhere that in the past they had to put those numbers and information in to the surface of the phone. Now they are changing the law about it and are moving towards solution where the exact information can be found from the settings of the phone. Which iOS 9 already does. So I guess you have the newer model which doesn't have to display that information any more on the surface of the phone:)

I believe you are close to the correct answer, or at least a large part of it. I remember seeing something published that US authorities would accept moving the mass of approval marks (FCC, etc, etc) from a physical marking on the device body, into an on-screen display. However other territories still require the physical mark so that would only work for a phone certain to be sold into a US market. I suspect what you will find is that there is a difference in marking between the US-only LTE/GSM model (A1634, mostly AT&T) and probably the US-CDMA model (A1687), OR the international LTE/GSM (also A1687 but built to be shipped outside USA and also T-Mobile). My guess is the US products are mostly bald and the international build is marked, but some of the A1687 international builds with external marking may end up going to T-Mo and the US-CDMA carriers depending on stock availability.

Will be interesting to see how the split between marked body and unmarked body breaks down across devices supplied through different US carriers and direct supply from Apple store.

The bottom line is that if Apple says it is correct, it is correct. The probability of getting a counterfeit with working OS and all numbers valid is vanishingly small - in real terms it won't happen.

diesteldorf

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
I wish I could blame everything on the fact that I was using a camera from a Motorola phone, but the error is clearly with person taking the photos.

As I was getting the phone ready to ship, I took one last look and.....

Sorry for wasting everyone's time.

I assure you both photos were of the same phone. I can only assume the lighting and/or flash screwed up the first pic.

Here is a second one:

Attachments

• 6sback.jpg
    6sback.jpg
    374.5 KB · Views: 36

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I wish I could blame everything on the fact that I was using a camera from a Motorola phone, but the error is clearly with person taking the photos.

I assure you both photos were of the same phone. I can only assume the lighting and/or flash screwed up the first pic.

Here is a second one:

HA! Thank you for updating us. I've been racking my brain trying to figure out how the labels hadn't been printed on the back of the phone.

diesteldorf

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
It's funny because I am a relative neophyte when it comes to Apple products and I wanted to be able to authenticate my phone conclusively to reassure the buyer.

I chatted with an Apple rep who just told me that "there are several factors that can affect the style and lettering on backplates, but he was unable to give specifics.

Then I called phone support yesterday evening. The rep was nice and put me on hold while he spoke to his manager.

Apparently, the manager advised that Apple routinely uses different style backplates, particularly with the Iphone 4, and that this sort of thing is relatively common....LOL

It actually makes me want to break into FoxCon and take a look for myself.

I hate to think of all the notes Apple must have because of my support inquiries, but they could tell right away that the phone had been unlocked on 11/18 and was authentic.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site

Here is a second one:

Thanks for some good lulz today.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigBawseEB