iPhone(s) 2017

itsnotmeitsyou

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
What are everyone's opinions on the rumored iPhone models for 2017? Do you really think Apple will head down the road of releasing multiple iPhones every year with different specs? I'm new to Apple and the iPhone and the biggest reason I left Samsung/Android was because of fragmentation. For me, the biggest selling point of the iPhone was that they come out with one each year and perfect it (even though two different sizes, still essentially the same phone). If they add a "Pro" model and jack up the price, I will definitely be going back to Samsung. In the past, next year's iPhone was always known to be an improvement over the last, so it'll be a major bummer if they slap a "Pro" label on what should be a normal upgrade over the current model and add stripped down models to the lineup to try and justify a price increase.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I don't care about opinions and speculation the way so many do. If there's a good feature, need or just desire buy a phone do it.

The 7 Plus has been a super purchase for me even though it looks like my 6S Plus. Just the dual cameras and water resistance alone have been worth it. One international and domestic trip showed me how great it is because I didn't take a conventional camera. Several times a week the camera system and battery life stand out.

All the 7 Plus owners in my circle of associates love the camera, battery life, brightness and water resistance so much they agree upgrade time is now if you don't have one.

itsnotmeitsyou

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
I don't care about opinions and speculation the way so many do. If there's a good feature, need or just desire buy a phone do it.

The 7 Plus has been a super purchase for me even though it looks like my 6S Plus. Just the dual cameras and water resistance alone have been worth it. One international and domestic trip showed me how great it is because I didn't take a conventional camera. Several times a week the camera system and battery life stand out.

All the 7 Plus owners in my circle of associates love the camera, battery life, brightness and water resistance so much they agree upgrade time is now if you don't have one.

I agree with you and also own the 7 Plus. I'm wondering what others' opinions are on the rumors of Apple going the "Pro" route with the next iPhone. By adding a Pro model, they would essentially be taking what should be the next iPhone upgrade and slapping a "Pro" label on it to justify a price hike.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I agree with you and also own the 7 Plus. I'm wondering what others' opinions are on the rumors of Apple going the "Pro" route with the next iPhone. By adding a Pro model, they would essentially be taking what should be the next iPhone upgrade and slapping a "Pro" label on it to justify a price hike.

I'm not concerned about labels or luxury branding. Strong or appealing features will determine if I buy new or keep what I have.

itsnotmeitsyou

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
I got your point. Model name or a premium model or marketing to sell a premium new model won't be selling points for me. Product function would.

They play hand-in-hand. That product function you are used to upgrading to would become more expensive due to the "pro" label, if the rumors are true. I was looking to see what everyone thought about the whole thing, or if they think it will even happen. If you would rather say you will be buying the product with the best performance instead of going by the "pro" label, that's fine. However, they would mean the exact same thing.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
They play hand-in-hand. That product function you are used to upgrading to would become more expensive due to the "pro" label, if the rumors are true. I was looking to see what everyone thought about the whole thing, or if they think it will even happen. If you would rather say you will be buying the product with the best performance instead of going by the "pro" label, that's fine. However, they would mean the exact same thing.

I meant just calling it "Pro" or a fancier looking phone would not do much or anything for me.

itsnotmeitsyou

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
I meant just calling it "Pro" or a fancier looking phone would not do much or anything for me.

If there is a "pro," it's going to have better specs and performance than the rest of the lineup. They're not going to release two of the exact same phone and put "Pro" on one of them.

But what I do see happening is them releasing a "Pro" model along side of iPhones with less-than-average specs in order to push people to buy the Pro. That is what bothers me. The best specs available should be part of the next upgrade anyway. Adding the pro would just be a way for them to charge more money for the next iPhone, releasing lower spec'd iPhones along side of it that are not an upgrade over the 7, to make it seem like it's premium.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
If there is a "pro," it's going to have better specs and performance than the rest of the lineup. They're not going to release two of the exact same phone and put "Pro" on one of them.

But what I do see happening is them releasing a "Pro" model along side of iPhones with less-than-average specs in order to push people to buy the Pro. That is what bothers me. The best specs available should be part of the next upgrade anyway. Adding the pro would just be a way for them to charge more money for the next iPhone, releasing lower spec'd iPhones along side of it that are not an upgrade over the 7, to make it seem like it's premium.

The market is very competitive. It will take more than a new name from the marketing department to make a big difference in sales. The very competitive market also means Apple needs lower cost phones in the lineup.

I'm quite sure I know where you're coming from but I don't spend too much time as one of Apple's arm chair directors.

If you're enough bothered by what Apple does, I'll circle back to my comment on the competition. That's giving people an array of products and in most cases a few or hand full of carriers where they live.

Forgetting about marketing and product names, I'm pretty sure the last quarterly report and news around it plus other recent business support what I'm trying to say. Features more than labels drove business. From that news I got that 7 Plus' camera drove sales. Series 2 watches inventory is low while Series 1 have been on sale.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

I highly doubt there will be "less than average" specs on any of them. If there's a Pro version, it would include more hardware features than the others. But that won't make the others "less than average".

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I highly doubt there will be "less than average" specs on any of them. If there's a Pro version, it would include more hardware features than the others. But that won't make the others "less than average".

Yes. The current SE and 7 Plus phones prove Apple needs an array of products no matter what model name is slapped on them. For the Plus, it helped the last quarter's results. For the SE, a friend said affordable meant his employer replaced all their flip phones and misc stuff with them and everyone likes them. Those SE models were way more than average in that context.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

What does it matter though? I personally don't care what they call it. I'm only upgrading if they offer a compelling reason to do so. I don't care about what they call it or what they do to justify a price increase. If they don't add anything worth my money...I'll keep my 7 Plus. I'm perfectly happy with what I have. I don't NEED to get a new phone every year. I'll do so if I see a need/want.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
There's no doubt in my mind that we will eventually see a more higher-end version of the iPhone released aside from the iPhones that are already released during their release cycles. They will of course be more expensive and specifically aim at people who have no problem forking over $1,000 - $1,200 for it. Think of it as the iPhone edition. Aside from aesthetics, the internals would be slightly better.

fejth

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
What yesterday has learned us, is that Apple is cleaning up their product line. iPad and iPad Pro. MacBook and MacBook Pro, iPhone and iPhone pro. This means iPhone will gain an upgrade in September, along with an even higher specced out model called the iPhone Pro. Rip MacBook Air and iPad Air....