iPhone on Tmobile Do I Need 3G

luke89

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi I am a little new to the forums but I did do a little research and I couldn't really find an answer so I figured Id ask. I am really sorry if this has been answered. Anyhow here is my question. My cousin has an iPhone 3GS and is getting a new 4th gen. He said I could have his 3GS but I am on Tmobile. I have a talk and text plan but no data. I can not pay for data. I dont want it because wifi works for me and plus you can only get edge anyway. I was wondering if I unlock and jailbreak his iPhone and put my sim card in it will I be charged for data just by having it. I wont connect to edge obviously but will Tmobile know I have an edge capable phone and charge me for it? Basically I want the 3GS to work like the fist gen iPhone where you dont have to worry about data. Thanks

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
If he is on the latest OS, the iPhone is not unlockable even if its Jailbroke. The iPhone would have to be on 3.1.2

luke89

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Hes on 3.1.2. But Ive jailbroken a friends first gen iphone on 3.1.3 before. I downloaded the 3.1.2 firmwared and installed it and used redsn0w. Is it diffenent from 3GS? But anyway he left it on 3.12 because he has jailbroken it before and didnt update. I am more worried about the data charges because I know it will jailbreak because his is already jailbroken.
EDIT: Noticed you said unlockable. I had a hard time unlocking my friends first gen too. If i install the 3.1.2 firmware the S is unlockable right? Or do i need to go out and get a 3g instead?

Last edited:

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
An unlocked iPhone will only use Edge on T-Mobile. You can't use the 3G data connection, even if you wanted to.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Hes on 3.1.2. But Ive jailbroken a friends first gen iphone on 3.1.3 before. I downloaded the 3.1.2 firmwared and installed it and used redsn0w. Is it diffenent from 3GS? But anyway he left it on 3.12 because he has jailbroken it before and didnt update. I am more worried about the data charges because I know it will jailbreak because his is already jailbroken.
EDIT: Noticed you said unlockable. I had a hard time unlocking my friends first gen too. If i install the 3.1.2 firmware the S is unlockable right? Or do i need to go out and get a 3g instead?

Both 3G and 3GS are unlockable as long as the OS is 3.1.2

luke89

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Ok then I think im good. But what about the data cost? Will I be charged for edge if I dont use it just because I am using a 3g capable phone.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Ok then I think im good. But what about the data cost? Will I be charged for edge if I dont use it just because I am using a 3g capable phone.

Cant speak for Tmo. If you were on Att, they automatically add a data plan onto any iphone with a SIM card put in. You may want to call Tmo and ask cust service

tony2979#CB

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
I'm on TMobile with an iPhone. To answer one of your questions, T-Mobile could care less that you are on a unlocked iPhone. I was talking to tech support one night to fix a problem with my email and they already knew I was on a iPhone. They were still more than happy to help me.

As to your other question. T-Mobile "can" add a data plan to your line if you are using a smart phone. They are much less likely to do so than AT&T is, but they do reserve the right. I have one, but do have a friend that is in the same situation that you are looking at. He has had a unlocked 2g iphone on T-Mobile for a year and they have never added anything.

luke89

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Ok thanks man. I have a friend whos with cincy bell and has the first gen iphone and isnt being charged with data and thats basically what Im hoping to duplicate with tmobile. I would get a first gen but I can get a 3GS free so I figure why not if possible. If you say Tmobile doesnt care then I will definatley just talk to them thanks

tony2979#CB

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
Ok thanks man. I have a friend whos with cincy bell and has the first gen iphone and isnt being charged with data and thats basically what Im hoping to duplicate with tmobile. I would get a first gen but I can get a 3GS free so I figure why not if possible. If you say Tmobile doesnt care then I will definatley just talk to them thanks

Yeah, its not a problem. TMob even did a promotion last month where if you were using a unlocked iphone, you could trade it in towards one of t-mobile's phones. They were giving up to 350 and offered 175 trade in for my 8gb 3g. I didn't do it :)

luke89

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Well as long as I wont be forced to pay for a data plan I will definitely jailbreak my cuz's 3GS and use it. Ive heard 3.1.3 cant be jailbroken but Ive done it to a friends 2G I just had to download the 3.1.2 firmware from megaupload and use redsn0w. Will this work for the 3GS as well?

luke89

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Ok I will definitely look into that. Ive heard about spirit alittle. It sounds way faster than downgrading and installing redsn0w because it took a long time to unlock my friends. Thanks for the advice guys I appreciate it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ludogg23