Iphone 6 or iPhone 5S: What do you suggest?

Nogitsune Micah

May 25, 2013
Visit site
So I'll be waiting in line with my boyfriend and friends for the new iPhone. We did it in NY last year and we'll be doing it this year at Palo Alto(I am actually excited to check it out since I actually am starting University there this year) :)

Anyway, while I am picking up a Pre-order for my Step-brother, I have been considering getting my own iPhone. As an Avid Windows Phone Fan, I am in want of a new phone. Problem is No New Lumias are coming out and I don't support any other OEM besides Nokia/Microsoft. They earned my money.

Other reasons:

1. I dislike how the uniqueness of Windows Phone is going the Android way(meh) with the OS...and I am growing more interested in IOS.
It lacks live tiles but the EXPERIENCE from playing with it feels so immersive and it makes me wish windows phone was a bit more cohesive(it's getting there but slowly)

2. I sort of need a new phone. My Mic on my phone sucks and I think it may have water damage. So Replacements are out of the question.

Presently I own a Lumia 1520 which is literally the best phone ever. Best Camera and whatever.

Right now, I am looking at the Iphone 6 and even the Iphone 5s and 5C(mainly because I like the colors lol I am used to Lumia)

What do you suggest?

I'll be using Att next 12 month plan so if i like APple, I can always be able to upgrade yearly and if not, then no loss there.

I don't think the iphone 5C is the best fit simply because it is based off a 2012 phone and I hear IOS runs not so great on older hardware.

I spend the weekend playing with my friends iphone 5s and it is tiny....compared to my Lumia 1520. Here's a pic for comparison sake.
nokia-lumia-1520-vs-iphone-5s-design-hardware-operating-systems-and-prices-showdown-which-smartp.jpg

6 inches vs 4 Inches(who knew 2 inches made such a difference)

Thing is....Wait for it....

It didn't seem bad using the iphone 5s.

It was small and tiny yes but it just...fit. Idk how to explain it. I am well Adjusted to my 1520(I have used it exclusively for a year) even though there are a few times when the size can be annoying lol.

The 5S was small and fit right into my hand perfectly. The Keyboard/Screen is small and it took a slight adjustment but then i was able to type relatively fast even on the smaller screen. Just as well as on my 1520.

The iPhone 6 is a good choice(I need a phone asap so the 6 plus is out of the question unless I am lucky and they have them in stock at stores :p) but it's like

Do I really Need the LATEST for someone who is experimenting with IOS?

I am dedicated to Windows Phone but at the same time, I'm getting bored with it and my phone and I want something new.

Android annoys/disgusts me...I contemplated a HTC One M8 but the camera is not that great and I dislike Samsung.

My needs are simple
1. Good Camera for low light(perhaps not Lumia quality but still great)
2. Good Selfie Cam
3. Fast and able to keep up with IOS 8(the 6 of course is made FOR Ios 8 but i hope 5S can handle it)
4. Just easy to use.

I even recently got over my issues with itunes :p I use it on my computer exclusively, ditching Xbox Music simply because i can do more with it and it's far less annoying.

Would a 5S be good or do you think I should get the iPhone 6?
While I usually always get the latest and greatest Lumia, part of me is saying I don't necessarily NEED the latest and greatest iPhone especially if I am dabbling with it.

Heck, that's why I even considered a 5C but the 5C forums are so dead so meh. I'd like to be able to actually TALk with people who have my phone lol

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
IME, a device, any device, tends to work better with the OS it ships out with. IOS8 might do well in the 5S, but my gut tells me it will probably do better in the 6. Plus you're getting Apple Pay, which you will not have with the 5S, and if Apple succeeds, Apple Pay will take off nicely. The screen of the 6 is bigger, but not over the top. I had the 5 and the screen real estate was just not enough for me.

michikade

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
I would say take the 5C off the table of consideration. There is nothing whatsoever wrong with the phone, but it has the same innards as the 5 so it's technically speaking two years old. It won't adapt to the newer software as well (even though, knowing Apple, it'll be supported in software for another couple years minimum) and doesn't have the newer hardware bells and whistles either.

The 5S is solid. You'd probably be fine with it but since you're already used to a big phone you may find the 6 is in a better "Goldilocks zone" for you. Not to mention the year newer innards will feel a little more elegant and will be snappier in the next couple years' worth of iOS.

Sent from my iPhone 5 while anticipating my 6+ with bated breath using Tapatalk

tyler_barnhardt

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I just hope that the camera doesn't disappoint

Check out some of the reviews that came out yesterday from the big tech blogs. Almost all of them said the camera was great! Only time will tell (48 hours) but I think the camera is going to be better then you are expecting on the 6. Go with the 6 and don't look back.

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
If you're used to the larger size and it works well for you, then I'd go for the 6 at a minimum. If they have the 6plus, then get that. The 6 will be supported longer and will most likely have higher resale value if you pay it off and sell it. The 5s and 6 will both have the same experience and the 6 gets you closer to the size you're accustomed to.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
The 6, it has the newest hardware and it will get Apple pay. It also has a bigger screen, which is always great.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I would have to agree with the majority and say the iPhone 6 or 6plus, mostly because of the screen real estate. The iPhone 5s is an awesome device, but the iPhone 6/6+ will probably fit your needs and wants better according to your original post. Good Luck with your decision

Tpence2177

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
So far iOS 8 is running great on my 5s. Perfectly happy and content with my 5s. If I could upgrade I probably would though. This may be the first phone I actually keep 2 years. I usually swap up at least every 6 months.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
If it were me I would get iPhone 6 if you don't like it you'll get better resell value.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk