iPhone 5 Camera Question

larrymcj

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
@Massie: one other thing I dislike about KitCam (and even sent them feedback about) is the size of text they use in the GUI. I have good vision but have to put drug store glasses on to read the text below the icons.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Actually, these pictures were taken with Camera+ which is my default camera app on the home screen. I have an entire page of other camera app that are all related, including KitCam, but so far Camera+ seems best to me. KitCam is probably second, and might jump into the top slot if I ever take time to play with it and learn it better. I just bought it a couple of days ago.

But to answer your question...no, these noisy photos were simply taken at Camera+ default settings. I know I should experiment more with the features of both Camera+ and KitCam but I just haven't done so. I'm sure if I did, I'd be a lot happier.

My next project is finding a good editing suite (short of PhotoShop) that is "EASY" to use but still handles things like noise reduction well. I tried the touted Snapseed desktop app, but even though it was supposed to have noise reduction, I couldn't find it in the tools.

Well, the focus/exposure controls in Cam+ are simple: just tap the + sign in the corner of the focus box, and a separate exposure control ring will appear; drag that around until you get the exposure you want:

CameraPlusIndependentFocusAndExposure.jpg

Of course, if you're looking for desktop apps to reduce noise, you really may just want to get a point-and-shoot. If you feel like it's that bad that you need to do post-processing to every low light shot.

As for Snapseed, while it does have Sharpening, I don't believe I've ever read about it having a Noise Reduction option (in fact, a few reviews make a point of wishing it did) but there are other apps that do offer it: Photoshop Express and Perfectly Clear are two off the top of my head, but I can't vouch for quality as I haven't used either. Hope that helps!

Attachments

• CameraPlusIndependentFocusAndExposure.jpg
    CameraPlusIndependentFocusAndExposure.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 70

larrymcj

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Of course, if you're looking for desktop apps to reduce noise, you really may just want to get a point-and-shoot. If you feel like it's that bad that you need to do post-processing to every low light shot.

Thanks, Massie. Actually, I have a Canon PowerShot SD 780/IS Elph which takes really great pictures indoors, but I think the iPhone beats it for outdoors scenery shots. And as they always say...the best camera in the world is the one you have with you :) I'm just trying to do a compromise here and in retrospect, I should be taking the one-chance photos on planned trips with the Canon...it's almost as small as the iPhone.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lakeland Ghost