iphone 4 overheating - questions

bsoder#IM

May 7, 2010
Visit site
went for a walk this morning, it was about 95 out (Phoenix metro), I was out for about 40 minutes with music playing and the smartrunner app running on my new iphone. Reason I mention the app is that it doesn't let the phone screen turn off in order to use the GPS to track my distance. Phone was in my shorts pocket most of the time.

Turned off the music basically as I got home, left the phone in my pocket. Within perhaps 2-3 minutes of walking in the door, my wife called me on the landline and told me my cellphone wasn't answering - she said it rang once and then went to a fast busy signal. I pulled it out and it was showing a yellow warning triangle and a message about overheating. The phone did not feel particularly warm at all, much cooler than my Pre typically feels.

After a few minutes the warning went away and things are working normally again.

So, any thoughts? Any idea how warm the phone can get before it "overheats" and shuts down? I'll need to try it again another day to see if I can repeat the problem.

On a side note - is there a better pedometer type app out there? I was only using this one because it's the same app I had on my Pre but I really don't like the fact that it completely resets if I accidentally close and reopen the app when trying to switch songs - ie. if I single-tap instead of double-tapping by accident.

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Well I see that could be that the screen is on and that the gps is going while listening to music. When my screen stays on for that long using the gps then not only does my phone overheat but the battery dies. It mig have been saying it was overheating because of the temp outside while working the screen and gps. I don't know of any apps but i think the temp outside mixed with the screen staying on and the GPS on was making it overheat and you didn't feel it because it was 95 out.

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
No I'm talking about the GPS on the phone in general. I can't keep it on that long without it starting to get warm because you are probably using that app and it might store something in the memory it might be what caused it storing a log while keeping the highres screen on and playing music while using the GPS.

bsoder#IM

May 7, 2010
Visit site
The smartrunner app requires that you leave it on and running for it to track your walk/run. It has to be a combination of being on that long, the heat outside, etc. I will try it again maybe tomorrow (it's 107 outside right now so I'm not doing it right now ;) ) and I will use a tempgun on the back to see what the exterior of the case reports.

I want to find a better app for this anyway.

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
The smartrunner app requires that you leave it on and running for it to track your walk/run. It has to be a combination of being on that long, the heat outside, etc. I will try it again maybe tomorrow (it's 107 outside right now so I'm not doing it right now ;) ) and I will use a tempgun on the back to see what the exterior of the case reports.

I want to find a better app for this anyway.
I think because it needs the screen on while it's that hot out the phone heats up after a while. I would definatly post something in the apps part of the forum and see if anyone could help you with that! Good Luck Tomorrow:)!

Redshirt

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
You haven't tried the Nike sensor one yet? I thought it was integrated into the phone now, and the sensors are like 20 bucks.

jonmark

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
If you emailed Steve Jobs about this, his response would probably be: "Put it by the air conditioner." .. lol.

bsoder#IM

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I haven't tried the Nike thing. I posted over in the apps forum and someone suggested runkeeper, going to try that one. I downloaded the lite version, it doesn't seem to have the limitations that smart runner has.

Bet you're right about the AC comment, too... "You're holding it wrong." - seriously?

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I haven't tried the Nike thing. I posted over in the apps forum and someone suggested runkeeper, going to try that one. I downloaded the lite version, it doesn't seem to have the limitations that smart runner has.

Bet you're right about the AC comment, too... "You're holding it wrong." - seriously?
I was just at my local apple store and I wasn't able to recreate it with any of the phones. I think it might have something to do with signal strength and software but I don't know right now...

bsoder#IM

May 7, 2010
Visit site
california_matthew; said:
I was just at my local apple store and I wasn't able to recreate it with any of the phones. I think it might have something to do with signal strength and software but I don't know right now...

I don't think anyone knows for sure right now with the possible exception of Apple, and they're not saying much yet. I can reliably cause it with my phone at home, I put a strip of masking tape over the exposed frame on the left side. That helps but doesn't completely prevent it.

It'll be interesting to see if they patch it this week.

Sagacity4

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
My iPhone has been getting pretty hot to from normal use. For example, talking on the phone, sending text, and browsing the internet. The back gets pretty hot.

OKCChuck

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Mine was getting hot yesterday just from video usage. Made a few videos at the Zoo, and it was very warm. Kinda surprised me.

Fedorov

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Just got the yellow triangle warning for first time tonight, sat on sofa on wifi, no music playing, just on facebook, twitter, appstore and WhatsApp for a little while!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
emii28