Iphone 4 Battery Performance.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Well its a been a week since I got my iPhone 4 and Im always at 100% around 7am and my phone asses out around 10pm at night. Right now im at 24%....3 hrs of usage and 9 hours standby, i've been browsing a little today and playing a few games etc. no music or video playing, wifi is on, also in 3G. Still not digging this battery, Im used to my BB Bold 9700's battery that can go for days...

Look at how small the screen is on the 9700. You really think you will get the same battery life with a much bigger display?

MrFadedGlory#IM

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Look at how small the screen is on the 9700. You really think you will get the same battery life with a much bigger display?
I was just saying that I am used to the longer battery life on my bold 9700 but do realize that there is a lot more going on with my iphone. Just hoping my battery gets better....maybe i have to tweek some settings. Im charging now and when its 100% I will let it sit overnight off of the charger and see what i get when i wake up

UPDATE: WOW I was at 100% at 10pm last night and took it off the charger. When i woke up at 7am today it was down to 99%. Not bad. At least I know its not draining like some folks are reporting

Last edited:

JamesC1119

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm surprised. Are you using gps? I usually get 6-7 hours of usage over 3G (twitter, facebook, web browsing etc.). I leave location based services on and toggle wifi as necessary. I never use Bluetooth.

Moonbase0ne

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I am surprised and happy with the battery life for iP4. I do alot of web browsing and messaging and a few games and the battery has held up quite well. I was thinking of getting one of those backup battery packs but I honestly don't think I need it. I needed it before with my other phone.

But I am curious what do you do after a year or so of use And need a new battery, seeing as you cannot easily rmove the iPhone battery like on most phones.

ladytonya

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I can go a whole day without charging my i4 if I don't play a lot of games. I keep WiFi and 3G turned on most of the time plus I have tons of push notifications and I keep location services on. The way I look at it, I have a charger at home, one at work, and one in the car. I rarely even use the one in the car but it's there just in case! The longest I think it's gone without charging during the day while being used periodically was around 12 hours. I thought that was pretty good! If I unplug it at night with 100% charge and it just sits in my purse all night, I usually wake up with a 99 or 100% charge. I'm happy with the battery performance so far, I just hope I'm not making my battery weak by overcharging it!

timberga

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
The battery life on my iphone 4 when I first got it was phenomenal! I was getting like 6.5 - 7.5 hrs usage.

Lately I'm not getting even close and today its even worse! Here are a few data points I took. My usage isn't always exactly the same day to day but my patterns are fairly consistent.

Usage: 6 hr, 50 min Standby: 17 hr 44 min 1% remaining
Usage: 7 hr, 30 min Standby: 17 hr 52 min 9% remaining
Usage: 7 hr, 2 min Standby: 18 hr 24 min 12% remaining
Usage: 7 hr, 30 min Standby: 15 hr 40 min 3% remaining
Usage: 7 hr, 33 min Standby: unknown 1% remaining
Usage 6 hr, 23 min Standby: unknown 19% remaining
Usage 6 hr, 36 min Standby: 15 hr, 5 min 3% remaining
Usage 4 hr, 16 min Standby: 17 hr, 0 min 37% remaining
Usage 5 hr, 28 min Standby: 18 hr, 13 min 14% remaining
Usage 5 hr, 5 min Standby: 18 hr, 17 min 19% remaining
Usage: 5 hr, 1 min Standby: 17 hr, 40 min 10% remaining

I wish Apple had an "app" to figure that out.....

- whats using battery
- averages of battery life between full charges
- etc.

Any thoughts? Anyone experiencing similar issues?

sharky2006

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
@mrfadedglory

you cant base battery comparisons between a BB 9700 or a BB of any kind with an iPhone, you should base it off of something that is similar like... a Nexus One or HTC desire or a Galaxy.

frozinwater

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone seen a DRAMATIC drain in battery life using their phone on 3G as opposed to 2G? I don't just mean in terms of internet browsing but in general, will I suffer major battery drain having my phone on 3G as opposed to just leaving it on 2G. Thanks in advance.

MrFadedGlory#IM

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
@mrfadedglory

you cant base battery comparisons between a BB 9700 or a BB of any kind with an iPhone, you should base it off of something that is similar like... a Nexus One or HTC desire or a Galaxy.

Yes I understand that. I am just not used to such battery drain, this is my first ever iPhone. I love it though, im just gonna have to get a car charger or something to keep it from dying by 9pm-10pm every night. I mean if I have to leave work at shoot straight out somewhere for the night my phone is as good as dead without a car charger lol

rotchcrocket04

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Last weekend I was thoroughly impressed with my battery life - once again. I spent the whole weekend with my g/f so I would consider my usage reasonably below average. With that said, I got 5 hours, 5 min Usage and 2 days, 16 hours Standby.

64 hours of Standby while getting over 5 hours of Usage out of the phone is fantastic. Once again - I'm thrilled.

3G on, Wifi off, Loc. Services on - what else did I forget? Lol

rotchcrocket04

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Has anyone seen a DRAMATIC drain in battery life using their phone on 3G as opposed to 2G? I don't just mean in terms of internet browsing but in general, will I suffer major battery drain having my phone on 3G as opposed to just leaving it on 2G. Thanks in advance.
You'll definitely notice more life out of the phone if you turn 3G off. However, I don't think I would classify it as a "dramatic" difference. See my previous post ^ about the usage I got while using the phone less than usual. I had 3G turned on the whole weekend.

mpaquette

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm really impressed with my battery life so far. I spend my day in a pretty strong 3G coverage area. Have Mobile Me and an Exchange account set to push. Use WhatApp quite a bit during the day. Toss in some web browsing, Twitter and I'm typically at 60-65% by the time I put my phone on the charger around 11:30 PM.

Taco50

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
My battery life is much better compared to 3GS. I had trouble making it through a full day. Now I can make it through the day with pretty heavy usage no problem.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
even if an app isnt fetching data in the the backgrund or active is it still killing battery? should I kill it out of multitaksing?

If it's not actively pulling data, it's not killing battery, instead it may be just taking up memory, and killing the app will increase that instead.

JNGold

Sep 12, 2006
Visit site
Here's my battery useage right before I went to bed last night. I'm still impressed.

I can never go that long on a single charge. But then again, I am probably starting my commute to work well before you take the iPhone off the charger.

Mobile Me, Exchange, Yahoo Mail = Push
Location Services = On
BT = on (using BT stereo for about 1:30hrs during morning commute)
Coverage = strong coverage except for the 20-30mins or so in the NYC subway

I would get to work at around 9'ish and be at 82 percent with heavy usage. At around lunch (12-12:30) I am around 50 percent.

If I don't charge at my PC at work, I'll just BARELY make it home with a charge. I usually get home around 7PM.

Taco50

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
2:38 hours of usage today with 8 hours of stand by and 75% battery left. I've made several calls, texting, email, light web browsing and listening to iPod. Not bad at all. Way better than 3GS.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77