IPad Pro 10.5 256 GB VS MacBook 12" 256 GB for non-students

I

iMore Question

I'm a entrepreneur looking for a new device since I have old iMac (late 2006) loaded with photoshop and dreamweaver. Maybe to old to transfer to a new laptop. Use a iPad with retina 16 GB with storage problems. There are some sort of software issue and can't connect it to my old iMac doesn't support my iPad. Would have liked to transfer content to a external drive or something and reinstall software.

I want to invest in a new device have considered iPad Pro and MacBook for its light weight. My needs aren't taking notes as I see in most reviews. I'm very common with the iOS so do most things on it editing PDF etc. In the future I would set up websites, edit photos (add logos, add text in a specific font etc). I don't write much mostly emails. Which device would you recommend?

From a ergonomics point of view which device is best. Have currently been sitting for many hours on my old heavy iPad.

Hope anyone could help since I have been torn between everything from iPad Pro, MacBook Air, macbook has never been more confusing.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore. I once had the same or similar dilemma. After researching and talking with many different friends about my needs and wants, I also went to my local Apple Store and did a "hands on" with the products that would mostly fit my needs and wants. I came to a final conclusion and went with the MacBook Pro. I'm very happy with my decision. I have found that in order to make a sound decision, research for MY needs and wants was mandatory. There are so many different devices on the market, it's a must nowadays and no two people have the same or use their devices the same.

I think one of the MacBook's would be better suited for you, but once again that's just my opinion among many. GOOD LUCK with YOUR decision.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm a entrepreneur looking for a new device since I have old iMac (late 2006) loaded with photoshop and dreamweaver. Maybe to old to transfer to a new laptop. Use a iPad with retina 16 GB with storage problems. There are some sort of software issue and can't connect it to my old iMac doesn't support my iPad. Would have liked to transfer content to a external drive or something and reinstall software.

I want to invest in a new device have considered iPad Pro and MacBook for its light weight. My needs aren't taking notes as I see in most reviews. I'm very common with the iOS so do most things on it editing PDF etc. In the future I would set up websites, edit photos (add logos, add text in a specific font etc). I don't write much mostly emails. Which device would you recommend?

From a ergonomics point of view which device is best. Have currently been sitting for many hours on my old heavy iPad.

Hope anyone could help since I have been torn between everything from iPad Pro, MacBook Air, macbook has never been more confusing.

Although either device should suit your stated needs, I agree with Spencerdl in choosing a MacBook in lieu of an iPad Pro.

Last edited:

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to iMore!
As stated by both Spencerdl and Just_Me_D, I would also recommend the MacBook as compared to the iPP. In the long run, the MacBook will still meet your needs in case you need to do anything heavy. It’s a computer afterall

jim33

Aug 27, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to iMore. I once had the same or similar dilemma. After researching and talking with many different friends about my needs and wants, I also went to my local Apple Store and did a "hands on" with the products that would mostly fit my needs and wants. I came to a final conclusion and went with the MacBook Pro. I'm very happy with my decision. I have found that in order to make a sound decision, research for MY needs and wants was mandatory. There are so many different devices on the market, it's a must nowadays and no two people have the same or use their devices the same.

I think one of the MacBook's would be better suited for you, but once again that's just my opinion among many. GOOD LUCK with YOUR decision.

Thanks Spencerdl. Really good advice. I actually when to a store to have a look at the MacBook Air just before the iPad Pro hit the stores. And noticed the MacBook Air reminded me a lot about my old broken MBP 2007 as far as screen. Tried the MacBook which was lighter and better screen. Since I hated the weight on my old MacBook Pro. Tested the iPad Pro and MacBook Pro liked the screen on those a lot. The pricing on the MacBook is about the same as the price of the iPad Pro this week so made me really consider it now.

jim33

Aug 27, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to iMore!
As stated by both Spencerdl and Just_Me_D, I would also recommend the MacBook as compared to the iPP. In the long run, the MacBook will still meet your needs in case you need to do anything heavy. It’s a computer afterall

Thanks TripleOne, so true and since I already got a old iPad it just feels like I'm buying a faster iPad. Think speed would get back if I could reinstall it which I could if I buy a MacBook. Really good advice since the Apple ecosystem has become a small jungle to find the right device now a days. Since the spending part is so huge for me I have to think a little long term since I would not buy a new one for years.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Thanks TripleOne, so true and since I already got a old iPad it just feels like I'm buying a faster iPad. Think speed would get back if I could reinstall it which I could if I buy a MacBook. Really good advice since the Apple ecosystem has become a small jungle to find the right device now a days. Since the spending part is so huge for me I have to think a little long term since I would not buy a new one for years.

You’re very welcome

crucial bbq

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
Outside of weight and form factor, the biggest thing you should consider imho is whether you want macOS or if iOS would suit your work-flow needs. This is really what it comes to and why Apple has yet to, and likely will never, put macOS onto the iPads.

jim33

Aug 27, 2017
Visit site
Thanks guys for the valuable advice ended up with a macbook in space grey and love it. First i felt little lost in macOS since there a lot of changes since it used macOS for the last time. Since i haven't used iOS for 3-4 years i was little lost but few hours later I'm used to it a see a lot of options I don't not have in iOS. After using it only half a day I'm already feel more productive. Again thanks for helping me doing the right choice:cool:

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Thanks guys for the valuable advice ended up with a macbook in space grey and love it. First i felt little lost in macOS since there a lot of changes since it used macOS for the last time. Since i haven't used iOS for 3-4 years i was little lost but few hours later I'm used to it a see a lot of options I don't not have in iOS. After using it only half a day I'm already feel more productive. Again thanks for helping me doing the right choice:cool:

Congratulations on your new MBP! The space grey is very cool