If I bought a 5S in Canada....

smileyboy

Aug 19, 2004
Visit site
I'm on vacation this week, if I bought a iPhone 5S in Canada, could I use it on VZW back in the states?

I'm trying to get it on launch day.
Thank

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
As long as it is a Verizon brand iPhone (CDMA) then yes, but if it's a GSM model then no, it will not work in the States on the Verizon network.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't count on it... but still a good question since the hardware is supposedly the same for all North American carriers except Sprint... it might work for LTE data... but the Canadian device's legacy CDMA MEID would have to be able to be added to Verizon's systems... will Verizon do that? My guess based on current VZW practices... they won't.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
smileyboy I live in Canada so here's what I would tell you. You're going to try and buy the phone at an Apple store, you're going to need a factory unlocked model. First you should check that Apple will even sell the factory unlocked model. I remember for the 5 they didn't sell the factory unlocked model at the store on launch day. If you wanted it you had to order it online. The next thing you can do is just go into an Apple store and talk to one of the sales guys or make an appointment at the genius bar. Ask if a factory unlocked CDMA phone would be able to work on the Verizon network. Then you'll have all your answers before launch day.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
You asked if it would work, the simple answer is Yes. Will you be able to use all the features? I personally have no idea, but you will be able to use the phone itself for certain (2 years ago me and my wife went to Glacier National Park in Canada, and while we were using AT&T, my sister was using Verizon, and her phone worked in Canada the same as it worked here...though I think she got dinged for some data usage that was charged differently there than here).

Call Verizon for in depth details...especially since what you're trying to ask is if you can transfer a Canadian iPhone over to use on US networks.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone 5S unlocked starts at $720 in Canada so I would wait until you get back to the US to buy one

Sent from my iPod touch (5th generation) using Tapatalk - now Free

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
smileyboy I live in Canada so here's what I would tell you. You're going to try and buy the phone at an Apple store, you're going to need a factory unlocked model. First you should check that Apple will even sell the factory unlocked model. I remember for the 5 they didn't sell the factory unlocked model at the store on launch day. If you wanted it you had to order it online. The next thing you can do is just go into an Apple store and talk to one of the sales guys or make an appointment at the genius bar. Ask if a factory unlocked CDMA phone would be able to work on the Verizon network. Then you'll have all your answers before launch day.
CDMA internals on Verizon devices are carrier locked and there's no unlocking them... the only thing about iPhones that can be carrier unlocked is the GSM compatible parts... until the iPhone5... the only unlocking that Verizon would allow is for overseas GSM carriers. A CDMA capable Verizon iPhone4S Can not be unlocked for use on any US-based GSM carrier...

porksoda

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Lot of misinformation here:

There are two iphone 5s Models:

iPhone 5s
Model A1533 (GSM)
Model A1533 (CDMA)

- as Ipheuria said, canadian apple sells unlocked versions of iphone but they are usually not available on launch day.
- kch50428 is correct that 5 onwards the baseband were separated for cdma and gsm variants.
- kch50428 is incorrect that cdma is carrier locked, it is only carrier locked if it was bought on subsidy or specifically a carrier model. If you purchase outright and confirm unlocked purchase it will be unlocked. i.e if it is cdma baseband it would work with all cdma carriers, if it is gsm baseband it would work with all gsm carriers.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Lot of misinformation here:

There are two iphone 5s Models:

iPhone 5s
Model A1533 (GSM)
Model A1533 (CDMA)

- as Ipheuria said, canadian apple sells unlocked versions of iphone but they are usually not available on launch day.
- kch50428 is correct that 5 onwards the baseband were separated for cdma and gsm variants.
- kch50428 is incorrect that cdma is carrier locked, it is only carrier locked if it was bought on subsidy or specifically a carrier model. If you purchase outright and confirm unlocked purchase it will be unlocked. i.e if it is cdma baseband it would work with all cdma carriers, if it is gsm baseband it would work with all gsm carriers.

'Sucse me... Verizon does NOT activate any CDMA device that was not OEMed for Verizon. Period. Sprint will not activate a Verizon CDMA device... Verizon will not activate a Sprint CDMA device... the CDMA MVNOs may or may not activate any ol' CDMA device... they're not locked in the same sense GSM devices are - they are "locked" by Sprint & Verizon's practices.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Ultimately, your safest bet is to pre-order and have it delivered home or to your nearest apple store. Pick it up when you get home.

Why would you want to waste your vacation time setting up a new phone? Save that for when you get home.