I need help with Carrier Menu

capnben

Sep 18, 2008
Visit site
Hey all. I need some help and hope someone here can help. I spend a lot of time at work along the US / Canada border. On a regular basis, I will be in the US, but my iPhone grabs a Rogers Canadian cell tower and won't let go until I travel further away from Canada. I know the iPhone has a carrier menu that will allow you to choose what network you want to use, but I understand AT&T has disabled this function. Does anyone know if the Carrier files can be edited to enable this menu? I am comfortable with SSH and editing plists and such, but am not sure what I need to add or subtract. I tried digging around in some European Carrier bundles to try and find a string that enables the carrier menu (I am pretty sure in other countries, this menu is enabled.) but have had no luck. Any help? Thanks in advance!

Capnben

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I believe that in order to successfully get it working how you described, you would need an unlocked iPhone and a Rogers SIM card to swap in whenever you're near the cell towers you spoke of.

Plus, that Rogers SIM cars would have to be linked to a Rogers account as well, which usually means more money.

The Carrier Menu you're describing is the "Cellular Data Network" APN settings menu.

If you attempted to install the sinful MMS hack, then you should be able to find that menu here:

Settings>General>Network>Cellular Data Network

But once again, that won't work unless you have an unlocked iPhone and a Rogers SIM card/cellular service account.

If by some reason, you're picking up a cell SIGNAL from another country, and you HAVENT been billed for it, I suggest you not talk about it, and go and chuckle in a corner somewhere knowing that you got over on 'the man', because you're one of the luckiest people I've heard of, and if they catch wind, it could be a very expensive 'adjustment' to your account. *chuckle*

capnben

Sep 18, 2008
Visit site
I believe that in order to successfully get it working how you described, you would need an unlocked iPhone and a Rogers SIM card to swap in whenever you're near the cell towers you spoke of.

Plus, that Rogers SIM cars would have to be linked to a Rogers account as well, which usually means more money.

The Carrier Menu you're describing is the "Cellular Data Network" APN settings menu.

If you attempted to install the sinful MMS hack, then you should be able to find that menu here:

Settings>General>Network>Cellular Data Network

But once again, that won't work unless you have an unlocked iPhone and a Rogers SIM card/cellular service account.

If by some reason, you're picking up a cell SIGNAL from another country, and you HAVENT been billed for it, I suggest you not talk about it, and go and chuckle in a corner somewhere knowing that you got over on 'the man', because you're one of the luckiest people I've heard of, and if they catch wind, it could be a very expensive 'adjustment' to your account. *chuckle*

Lvcifer,

I have tried the sinful MMS hack (not working for me yet) and have seen the Cellular Data Menu, but that is not what I am thinking of. I have seen pics of the menu from screenshots of people outside the US. It appears on the main settings screen in the same block of choices where the Airplane Mode switch is. I understand that it only appears if 2 conditions are met... 1) the phone has to pick up towers from 2 different networks and 2) the carrier has to allow the use of the menu. Maybe unlocking is the trick, but using a Rogers sim would not solve my problem as I would then have a "Rogers Canadian" account calling numbers in the US... not cheap!!

On another note, I have not used the phone when it was on the Rogers network... but it would have made my life easier if I had. Unfortunately ATT does not make roaming cheap.

Thanks for the help!

Capnben

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vincie855