I’m...not enjoying this phone. Maybe a super slim case would help...

falconeight#IM

May 31, 2010
Visit site
When apple went to rounded edges, everyone was happy. I think people just like new stuff. Squared off edges on something you hold isn't natural.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
When apple went to rounded edges, everyone was happy. I think people just like new stuff. Squared off edges on something you hold isn't natural.

I disagree, it's almost like baseball hitting a round object with another round object is harder. Fingers are rounded so naturally holding a flat surface should in theory be easier.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

I do respect everyone's right to their own opinion! As for me, I loved the square edges on my iPhone 4, and 5s. I don't mind the rounded edges. And, actually, I think there's more of a grip with the squared edges.

I just "googled" when did Apple switch to rounded edges on the iPhone, and was amused to read several posts where people were crying out against the change! I think some people just don't like change. I do respect everyone's right to their own opinion!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I understand we all have our likes and dislikes, but I’m personally in agreement with spencerdl. I currently use an iPhone 11 Pro Max and holding it feels pretty good. With that being said, I’ve also held the iPhone 12 Pro and holding it was just as good, if not better for me as well as more natural - and you all know I don’t encase my iPhone.

I’ve read where people have stated the flat sides felt “sharp”. It didn’t feel that way when I held it, but that’s Just Me, D....;)....As always, to each his or her own.

Daedalus

Nov 10, 2020
Visit site
In theory, having flat edges should give you more surface contact and thus more grip to it. My work has provided me almost every phone from the 6 up and I manage something like 700 phones in our corporate fleet and after holding the 12pro I think I liked it far better naked than I do from anything prior. But then when I am using the phone I normally have my thumb and pad against the side for grip.

Chuck_IV

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
I can see those edges getting annoying(I have a pro Max on order), but since I always use a case, I’m hoping the case I chose will limit the annoyance of the square edges.

I’m not sure why Apple went this route, with the square vs rounded sides honestly.

falconeight#IM

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Im not trying to sway anyone or argue what you like to hold more. Our hands are rounded and holding or working with rounded edges is deep in our DNA and I can give examples for days. Footballs, baseballs, grenades, tools, cooking utensil handles, paint brushes, etc. There is not much considered hand friendly that is square. I ordered the 12 max pro knowing that its big, heavy, and squared off. I weighed my options and like the battery and screen size. You can sell yourself on how user friendly square is but it just isn't. Im even looking around the house and everything has rounded or tempered edges. I tried to drink out of a square glass once and was instantly annoyed. Never seen a square steering wheel or shift knob.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I loved the leather cases on the 5S.
The open bottom on the 6 and newer not so much. Still bought 'em but not my fav.
Now that they are fully covered (again) and remind me of the 5/5S style I'm game.
Don't care for the sticker price though.

In the meantime, I got an Evutec Karbon (Aramid)

https://evutec.com/collections/ipho...-mount-for-iphone-12-12-max-12-pro-12-pro-max

And this super slim one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUimUvbUpU3230697

And (finally) with a flat display I will go back to using a tempered glass protector. I never liked the notched out ones but full glass with just the cutout for the ear speaker are available and I got a 3 pack coming tomorrow so there's that. There's been talk of this "ceramic fortified" glass being even easier to scratch and micro scratches annoy me so going with tempered glass.

Hopefully it installs easy and looks decent!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUimUvbUpU3230697

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Im not trying to sway anyone or argue what you like to hold more. Our hands are rounded and holding or working with rounded edges is deep in our DNA and I can give examples for days. Footballs, baseballs, grenades, tools, cooking utensil handles, paint brushes, etc. There is not much considered hand friendly that is square. I ordered the 12 max pro knowing that its big, heavy, and squared off. I weighed my options and like the battery and screen size. You can sell yourself on how user friendly square is but it just isn't. Im even looking around the house and everything has rounded or tempered edges. I tried to drink out of a square glass once and was instantly annoyed. Never seen a square steering wheel or shift knob.

I think those who like the squared side of the iPhone 12 series aren’t trying to argue against your preference. To each his or her own. Some like it and some don’t and you just happen to be one that don’t. There’s nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:

falconeight#IM

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I think those who like the squares side of the iPhone 12 series aren’t trying to argue against your preference. To each his or her own. Some like it and some don’t and you just happen to be one that don’t. There’s nothing wrong with that.

I don't mind the square sides, Im just being real with shapes.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site

Nice Note 7 reference there. (grenades) ;)

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site

Video game remotes don't have squared edges either, you make really good points. I for one have expressed on here already that I don't like the squared off edges

Dwood1970

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
Ordered the same case for my new 12 Pro today, should be here on Friday, thanks for the heads up sir.

Just got my leather case a couple days ago and I have to say it make the phone feel so much better in your hands. It takes away the sharp edges and has that premium feel to it. Also it feels thinner than the previous leather cases

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Im not trying to sway anyone or argue what you like to hold more. Our hands are rounded and holding or working with rounded edges is deep in our DNA and I can give examples for days. Footballs, baseballs, [bold]grenades[/b]tools, cooking utensil handles, paint brushes, etc. There is not much considered hand friendly that is square. I ordered the 12 max pro knowing that its big, heavy, and squared off. I weighed my options and like the battery and screen size. You can sell yourself on how user friendly square is but it just isn't. Im even looking around the house and everything has rounded or tempered edges. I tried to drink out of a square glass once and was instantly annoyed. Never seen a square steering wheel or shift knob.

I’m just amused at how you mentioned grenades as an example

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I have the apple OEM leather case
74c83ee51699b803f99a762b4c5bf46a.jpg

I should probably be ashamed if I add up how many I've bought now. Another will be waiting for me at Apple Store tomorrow. The case I got from Amazon was defective and the leather ones just handle well. I'll still have to get a more scrubbable and inexpensive one for work.

As for phone, my Max came today. The XS is prettier and nicer to handle but I'm sure I'll get used to this. I don't think I'll leave the platform over it. I like the Mac and phone integration.

Regardless, it's a BIG phone that will further cement my liking thin cases.

falconeight#IM

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Here is my honest review of my 12 max. I went into it knowing it was a honking big square phone, so I’m okay with it and with that said:
Holding it with the pinky on the bottom hurts and I end up holding it two hands most of the time. It fits in my pockets and it’s noticeable. The screen size is amazing to use in landscape and portrait. Typing is really nice as all the keys have plenty of room. It does feel thicker and heavier than my 11 max. I took out of the box with 70% charge at 10:00 am with the intent to run the battery down, then fully charge it before bed. 12:30 am and it was at 10% and would not die so I played a movie and passed out. I went to a store today and held the 12pro, mini, and 12. They all felt better in the hand but I don’t want to sacrifice battery or what feels like a more square screen. I use my tech in this way. My Apple Watch to check notifications and if something is important I’ll pull out my phone. I use my Mac for real tasks that take typing. I mainly use my phone to chill with. Watch a movie, Twitter, browse the web, and games. If I was someone constantly on my phone, there is no way I would have a max.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77